GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and a not so proud owner of an '05 Equinox. I've researched the problems with the first gen. Equinox pretty extensively and have had no success in curing my problem. My particular problem is concentrated in the front of the vehicle in the floor boards and console. I'm aware of a couple TSB's and they either didn't apply or they weren't the solution to my specific problem. Has there been any new info generated regarding a possible cause/ cure to this problem. I've read about others who have had water leaking into the same area of their Equinox, but, not nearly as much as I've read about the rear spare tire area problems that people have experienced.

Any info on fixing this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Is it Fighting or Fading Irish? ;D With that said, you'll find that most on this forum are second Gen Equinox owners. Because of this situation, it may be difficult to get too many suggestions on your issue. Good luck, perhaps some of the Gen 2 owners here may have also had a Gen 1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,498 Posts
Is it pure water or does it have a sweet smell/taste. If the later, then probably the heater core is leaking.

Does it happen after a rain ? Maybe the windshield is leaking.

Do you have a sunroof, and is the headliner also wet? Then S/R drains could be plugged.

If you live near Schenectady NY, I'd take a look at it, gratis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RSchleder said:
Is it Fighting or Fading Irish? ;D With that said, you'll find that most on this forum are second Gen Equinox owners. Because of this situation, it may difficult to get too many suggestions on your issue. Good luck, perhaps some of the Gen 2 owners here may have also had a Gen 1.
Now that's just cold, hammering on my favorite team like that. ;D Yeah, I realized the point you made after I had already posted. Although, we must have been on the same "wave length".... because, I also thought there might be a chance of a previous 1st gen owner being able to help. Eitherway, thanks for the response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
I've owned a 05,07,09 Equinox and the 05 did have problems with the water comming in the rear I think thru the taillight and filling up the sparetire area...Dealer fixed it
Other 2 no problems whatsoever.
Traded the 09 in on a 10 Terrain No problems so far with this vehicle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RIT333 said:
Is it pure water or does it have a sweet smell/taste. If the later, then probably the heater core is leaking.

Does it happen after a rain ? Maybe the windshield is leaking.

Do you have a sunroof, and is the headliner also wet? Then S/R drains could be plugged.

If you live near Schenectady NY, I'd take a look at it, gratis.
Thanks for the offer. unfortunately, I live in IL. I've had the heater core checked, the condensate drain, and everything checked out fine. I don't have a sunroof. I've never had the windshield checked, other than looking at it myself. Considering the fact that I'm not a windshield installer, I guess that would be the next logical step.
I appreciate your generous offer and helpful info, thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fourmoremarine said:
I've owned a 05,07,09 Equinox and the 05 did have problems with the water comming in the rear I think thru the taillight and filling up the sparetire area...Dealer fixed it
Other 2 no problems whatsoever.
Traded the 09 in on a 10 Terrain No problems so far with this vehicle
I haven't discovered any water in the rear of the vehicle as of right now... the days not over yet! ::) Maybe, I should just trade it in for the newest available model.(are the '11's available?)
The sad part of all this is my wife loves this vehicle. She couldn't be happier, other than the water leaking into the car of course. I'm just afraid that if I keep the vehicle and don't take care of this problem soon, I'm in for a real nightmare. Other than the water leak, we've also had a few other problems. One of which was the valve covers were leaking at what I thought was way too soon for that do develope (25,000-30,000mi.). Although, that was warranty work, I believe they are leaking again and now it's going to be on my dime(current mileage 56,000mi.) I've also had a bit of an oil consumption problem as well(continued after the valve cover repair). That I believe is also BS. In addition,(as if that wasn't enough) the battery and tires had to be replaced at roughly 25,000-35,000mi.

This, all on avehicle that is driven by my wife almost exclusively. She is very easy on vehicles as far as driving is concerned. No shot gun starts, heavy braking, brake pedal riding, high speed driving, nothing!! This thing would have been in the junk yard by now had I been the primary driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fighting Irish said:
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and a not so proud owner of an '05 Equinox. I've researched the problems with the first gen. Equinox pretty extensively and have had no success in curing my problem. My particular problem is concentrated in the front of the vehicle in the floor boards and console. I'm aware of a couple TSB's and they either didn't apply or they weren't the solution to my specific problem. Has there been any new info generated regarding a possible cause/ cure to this problem. I've read about others who have had water leaking into the same area of their Equinox, but, not nearly as much as I've read about the rear spare tire area problems that people have experienced.

Any info on fixing this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
I've read on other sites of people having the same issue but without an explanation of the cause/solution(Assuming they hadn't identified these aspects either). By now, I would think someone has found the answers to this specific problem. The info is out there, I just can't find it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Fighting Irish,
Have you had your vehicle in to the dealer? If not I would definitely recommend doing so. If you would inbox me with your VIN I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your reply.
Christina
Chevrolet Customer Service
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Fighting Irish,
Have you had your vehicle in to the dealer? If not I would definitely recommend doing so. If you would inbox me with your VIN I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your reply.
Christina
Chevrolet Customer Service
Christina,
No, I haven't had it to the dealership for anything since the warranty expired. I had EVERYTHING done at the dealership up until the one and only conversation I had with them regarding the "leak". I probably would have continued to have my work done there, had they not done a 180 and basically ignored my requests and complaints. When I spoke with the dealership about this issue, They basically said it would be like any other non warranty work with the exception that it could take MUCH longer to diagnose and repair the source of the leak due to having NEVER encountered that particular problem on an Equinox before. They said that they'd never heard of one leaking. YEAH RIGHT!! and "I'm the Pope's only son".

Having went round and round with a dealership in the past regarding another vehicle, I just didn't have the time or the money to go through that again. It's not in my nature to give up easily, but, that one and only conversation was enough for me. As far as the VIN# is concerned, The only record of work(warranty) that was done was the valve cover work and routine maint.

With that said, I don't know how much you could help me. Thanks for your concern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
Fighting Irish said:
Christina,
No, I haven't had it to the dealership for anything since the warranty expired. I had EVERYTHING done at the dealership up until the one and only conversation I had with them regarding the "leak". I probably would have continued to have my work done there, had they not done a 180 and basically ignored my requests and complaints. When I spoke with the dealership about this issue, They basically said it would be like any other non warranty work with the exception that it could take MUCH longer to diagnose and repair the source of the leak due to having NEVER encountered that particular problem on an Equinox before. They said that they'd never heard of one leaking. YEAH RIGHT!! and "I'm the Pope's only son".

Having went round and round with a dealership in the past regarding another vehicle, I just didn't have the time or the money to go through that again. It's not in my nature to give up easily, but, that one and only conversation was enough for me. As far as the VIN# is concerned, The only record of work(warranty) that was done was the valve cover work and routine maint.

With that said, I don't know how much you could help me. Thanks for your concern.


Can't hurt sending her your Vin,Something may have been covered under a tsb or something she can find
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Fighting Irish,
I am unsure of exactly what I can do to assist you; however, to begin to look into it I would need your VIN. It doesn't hurt to try, I understand your frustration but I would like to at least take a look into your concerns and see if there is anything I can find for you. How long have you been having this issue? Where specifically does the water in your vehicle settle? If you would like I can also look into other dealers in your area as well. I look forward to your reply.
Christina
Chevrolet Customer Service
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Fighting Irish,
I am unsure of exactly what I can do to assist you; however, to begin to look into it I would need your VIN. It doesn't hurt to try, I understand your frustration but I would like to at least take a look into your concerns and see if there is anything I can find for you. How long have you been having this issue? Where specifically does the water in your vehicle settle? If you would like I can also look into other dealers in your area as well. I look forward to your reply.
Christina
Chevrolet Customer Service
I've been having this issue for about a year now. The water settles in the front floor boards(no further back than the front seats)and around/under the instrument/gear shift console. I'm actually having other problems that I haven't even bothered to mention. I believe these unmentioned problems are directly related to the leak and more specifically the path that the water is taking when it enters the vehicle. In addition to everything else, I've had blown fuses for no apparent reason. The cruise control isn't functioning properly. The only part of the CC that does work is the power indicator light(on/off light, whatever it's called). I'm in the process right now of diagnosing the repeated occurence of the check engine light coming on(may or may not be related to the water leak). I have my own scan tool and it displays a P0455 code every time I scan it. I replaced the gas cap and cleared the code but it keeps coming back. There's a multitude of causes other than the gas cap, I know. I just haven't looked into the other possibilities yet. I'll get that VIN to you tomorrow.

Thanks for your continued interest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I realize this is way outdated now, but my wife's 2008 had the leak into the tire cavity, but due to us parking on an incline, we didn't notice it until it flooded the front floor wells. There was enough water coming in that it was running out the front of the cavity down the sides of the cab and flooding the front of the car. Previous owners had kept it in a garage and apparently never noticed it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
chazzam,

Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? Feel free to contact me as well if you need additional assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
There's 2 places the Nox generally leaks on the 08-older models. If you have a sunroof, there's a drain tube that is supposed to drain the water down the "B posts". If blocked with mold due to organic debris (tree stuff), the water backs up, runs back the rear roof pillars, and into the body. On others without a sunroof, the rubber "accordian" boot that houses the rear tailgate wires (right side roof pillar, under the tailgate hatch, near the top of the roof) comes undone from it's nice, tight fit, and allows water to come off the roof, and into the right rear pillar, into the tire well.

I had the accordian-issue with mine. Filled the spare tire well up so bad that when my wife hit the brakes, water splashed over the hump under the rear seat, into the passenger floor. Water also will work it's way forward and show up in the driver's dome light lens.

If you have a sunroof, suspect it as the culprit.

If you have leaking into the front, suspect a leak at the cowling, and possibly an issue with the windshield seal, or possibly related to the cabin filter unit.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top