#1 ·
Tell me the bad news -
changing the oil right now and the bottom side of the cap looks like this -
Is the motor gonna blow?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What year . .. and what engine?

Normal for all engines for many years. . .
Happens in cold weather driving especially in single digit temps and/or daily short trip driving. An engine needs to run 30 minutes or more each time it is started in cold weather or moisture builds up from normal combustion and and air intake.
Moisture intake occurs also in warm weather but engine temps build up more rapidly and cook the water vapor off so you never see it under the oil filler cap.

Reactions: Enigmas and 13nox
#4 ·
Have you checked your coolant level to see if it is going down?

Otherwise, there may be a build up of emulsified oil/water floating in the oil pan that won't drain out.

I would take the vehicle on a good long drive for and hour or more and then do another oil change. That should clear out any built up moisture.

#6 ·
unfortunately it looks like you got the only year with multible problems. you are looking at sludge from a non working pcv system . my brother has a 13 model and it cost 2500 to repair the pcv system. it does need a long run to dry the pcv system . whats happening is your 13 2.4 has a pcv system that does not clear properly in freezing conditions from the hot and cold cycles of driving. if you could get a block heater i think the system can be saved or perhaps a warm garage. the engine needs to be kept warm so it will not build moisture in the pcv system. take her for a continuous 1 hour drive to dry the internals and get an engine heater and your problem should be solved.

#7 · (Edited)
coolant and oil use is normal on all designs of todays engines . it is the responsibility of all car owners and users of todays engine designs to be sure all fluids are kept full. complaining at the dealership about 5 ounces of fluid needed or used on a machine of todays design is the buyers responsibility not the sellers . but if you start adding fluids everyday there is a problem that should be addressed by the dealer.

#8 ·
Please explain how coolant use is normal from a sealed system.

Moderate oil consumption used to be common on engines. Then ring materials and design and cylinder honing improved to where engines hardly used any oil. Now thinner and lower tension rings have become common to cut down friction and try and milk every bit of efficiency possible from engines. Unfortunately it hasn't always been gotten right, and we see higher oil consumption now on vehicles again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.