GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2012 Equinox 2.4 won’t start

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  probak118 
#1 ·
Pulled up to a friend’s house and everything was just fine, I went to leave and my Equinox wouldn’t start, all the dash lights and all other lights, radio ect. comes on, no clicking sound no nothing, battery tests good with 13 volts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Alternator has been changed in the last few months.

#2 ·
Cables, especially the negative is known for corrosion on the bottom side.
Starter is another possibility.

#8 · (Edited)
There is a starter/crank relay in the starter circuit as well as the BCM and ECM as follows:

When the ignition switch is placed in the START position, a discrete signal is supplied to the body control module (BCM) notifying it that the ignition is in the START position. The BCM then sends a serial data message to the engine control module (ECM) that crank has been requested. The ECM then verifies that the clutch is fully depressed or the automatic transmission is in Park/Neutral. If it is, the ECM then supplies 12 V to the control circuit of the starter relay. When this occurs, battery voltage is supplied through the switch of the starter relay to the starter solenoid.

This is only with the key switch function and not the remote start function.
i think that is another problem with security etc.

#10 ·
Yes I did change the starter, and it did not fix the problem obviously, I am now changing the ignition switch relay I believe is what it’s called, after that I have no idea what the problem could be, does anyone know if the actual key could be the problem?

#12 ·
I can give you some info on the 2014, hope it helps.
There is no traditional neutral/safety switch.

The Trans Shift Lever Position Indicator in the console, near the shifter performs this function.
One of the wires, the dark blue one, on the TSLPI is connected by Serial Data (GMLAN) to the BCM.

#13 ·
I had a 2002 Chevy Impalla that randomly would not start, forget the code but was a anti theft thing. A local shop mechanic ( past GM dealer mechanic ) said it was anti theft probably the ignition switch common issue, so changed it. Problem solved for one day ! Dealer visit revealed bad BCM..... $500 later problem gone. I wonder if rather than changing parts cheapest first, a visit to the dealer and paid diagnosis might at least get you right to the real issue $80 well spent maybe ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.