GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Swirls/Spider webbing on new Equinox

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  repairman54 
#1 ·
I've been looking at a new 2020 Equinox and noticed 2 things:

First, the plastic trim on the back window on many I looked at already has fine scratches on surface. Obviously can't do anything about those once they are in. When sun hits it, it's pretty noticeable. Dealer mentioned that replacing a part wouldn't help because often the replacement trim has the same fine line scratches from the factory. Really? :(

Second, noticing a lot of small spider-webbing marks (swirls) in the top coat on many Equinox on a clear, sunny day. So what causes these marks on new vehicles? Cheap or thin top coats? I had read that somewhere.

We've bought many GM vehicles over the years, but first time I'm seeing some top coats in this condition. Sales guy wiped one section with a fine detailing cloth and it created the swirls right away in the top coat. If it happens at the dealer, what happens when I wash it and wipe it off with a soft cloth? We went to a few dealers and noticed the same condition on many.

Any solution to removing the spider-webbing/swirls? Asked a detail guy and he said there's no way to tell if they'll buff out. Some do, some don't. Our new Buick paint/top coat looks like glass without any issues.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
My paint doesn't have any surface scratches, but it does have orange peel. I'm not sure which I'd prefer. I would think you could get the scratches out, but I think I have to live with the orange peel.

#3 ·
If a new car sitting on a dealer lots has swirl and fine scratches its because that dealer has crappy car detailers. They're using a dirty towel or not cleaning the car very good before wiping it dry. I would go find a car at another dealer if one is close by. A good polish like Zaino can hide them some but he is completely wrong that the plastic from the factory looks the same. I have replaced black plastic before and its flawless. Orange peel is found on about every car today that is painted by machine. Some is worse than others. I don't really notice it on my 2019 Terrain.

#4 ·
Not to hijack this thread too much, but does anyone have a remedy to eliminate the orange peel, short of a repaint ? Or, should I just ask my Optometrist, to weaken my prescription ?

Thanks !

#5 ·
A high-end detailer or experienced body shop can take steps to reduce orange peel significantly, however it would most likely involve various steps of polishing compound and/or wet sanding and then buffing/polishing. It would not be worth the risk and expense to have it done on a mass market vehicle such as an Equinox. If these were limited production, highly collectible vehicles it might be worth considering. The orange peel effect is pretty common these days across most of the auto industry on volume produced cars.

Just keep it clean and enjoy the vehicle!

The black plastic trim on the either side of the back window of my 2015 Equinox has fine scratches/spider-webbing on it as well. I may try to cover it with glossy vinyl next spring, or just leave it alone since it is basically just normal wear and tear. Gloss/piano black trim (both exterior and interior) is one of the worst automotive styling trends of the past decade.

#7 ·
Last weekend I brought our 2019 Redline in the heated garage and gave it 3 coats of Liquid Glass wax. The paint finish I felt was flawless and appears to be very well done. The wax added protection but the paint finish even before I started was perfect.

#11 ·
I've noticed the same on my 2019 silver Redline; the paint is decent.

#8 ·
As arcee stated, wet sanding is about the only way to get rid of the orange peel. Depending how severe it is, you run the risk of cutting thru the clear coat--or making it extremely thin; shooting another coat of clear would resolve that however--and you would probably have a better clear coat that would be quite as sensitive to burn thru by bird droppings. Sorry, I'm rambling!

#9 ·
My new 2020 Equinox had spider webbing marks on the top coat and the plastic trim on the back window.
When I put it in my garage under the lighting they stood out like crazy so I brought it back and left it there for a day,they put it in the body shop and took out all the spider webbing marks...looks good now :smile_big:

Attachments

#12 ·
I wouldn't worry about orange peel on a daily driver. Once the miles pile on the rock chips on the front end will make you crazy and you'll forget about the orange peel...

Reactions: tom3
#16 ·
My 'bu and Tahoe are black and way easier to touch up than that pearl tri coat white. Nox is a dark gray and that's not to bad to touch up either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.