GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

AC Delco motor oil

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Kermmydog 
#1 ·
I looked in my vehicle owner's manual, and for the type of oil that is recommended is ACDelco Synthetic Blend, Dexos 1, 5w-30
I was thinking of keeping that type of oil going, at least while under warranty.

Slight problem though. That oil is very hard to find. No one sells it locally, and it seems the only places I can get it, is from ebay or summit racing.
That seems kind of odd that an oil that is recommended, is hard to come by.

So, I have a feeling most of us car owners do NOT use this ACDelco oil. would I be right with that assumption?

I'll just select another brand and keep it consistent from here on out.

#4 ·
GM also has approved Mobil1, and Mobil1 Extended Performance as another recommended engine oil.

Some dealers use this along with or instead of the Delco brand oil.

Because of the availability and cost of the GM/Delco oil; I exclusively use Mobil1, 5W-30, Extended Performance in all of my GM vehicles.

It is available everywhere automotive products are sold, and is relatively inexpensive. Even Walmart stocks this for a very competitive price.

Another plus: Mobil1 is Dexos1, Gen2 certified, and is a fully synthetic oil.

Engine oil brand and usage is always a hot topic on any automotive forum, but your vehicle would be warranty protected by using this.

Reactions: crankbait09
#6 · (Edited)
To clarify your statement:

Dexos1-Gen2, is what is the most current requirement for gasoline engines. (it's still Dexos1, but second generation)

Dexos2, is formulated for the GM diesel engines.

#9 ·
As we can see from the lists of Dexos approved lubricants; there are many choices, and there's no reason not to use an approved oil in your late model GM vehicle.

#10 ·
I don't know what it costs at the dealer but you can always get the AC Delco oil from any GM dealer. I found it sold locally at an autoparts store here (Benson Autoparts) and is what I use, but 0W20 for the 1.5T.

#12 ·
That's what I use in all of my vehicles: 5W-30 flavor in all of mine; but I change at 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.