GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Is the Terrain's On board Navigation Real Time

6K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  scbearsfan 
#1 ·
We have both OnStar & GM's supplied navigation packages along our Apple IPad Maps and Directions that we've used when it's been connected to Verizon's network. We normally use OnStar's directions but last week our son had us try the cars when we went up to Gatlinburg, TN. I know the IPad directions are real time and pretty sure so are OnStar's. He thinks the car's is also but I'm not so sure. Is the Terrain' s nav real time?

#3 ·
Not sure what you mean by real time navigation.
Are you asking if the car location shows on the map? If that's what you're asking, then yes, you can see your location when using the car GPS.
There's no reason to pay OnStar for Navigation if your car has it.
We have Navigation on our 2018 Equinox and it works good.

#4 ·
The IPad does have internet connection through Verizon but every now and then it loses its signal and I have to jump through hoops to get the connection back.

I do not have have a data package or a hot spot.

The wife does have a smart phone (Samsung NOTE8) but she hasn’t figured out how to bring up directions on it.

#6 ·
Lee F, what I’m asking is will the cars notify you if there is say a traffic jam ahead and reroute you like the IPad does or gives you an alternate route.

#7 ·
You have to have the all access plan to get live up to date traffic with built in system or connect it your phones Hot spot. If you have a Verizon shared data planned its included on phones but might not be on ipads with cellular chip.

I've been using the factory navigation and then use waze through Android auto. I realized you can use both at the same time. The factory navigation will still tell you where to turn and Waze will worn you of any traffic issues.

#9 ·
Lee she only has a smart phone because our granddaughter wanted her to have one plus it was on sale, she would rather go back to her flip phone. LOL

Normally wouldn't be a problem because I would be there with her, but she's driving alone up to Gatlinburg, TN to meet our son for a few days before they drive down here for our granddaughter's HS graduation. We took a trip up there last week to show her the way, there were only a couple spots where she turned a bit early. Shouldn't be too bad if she follows the instructions and looks at the screen before she turns.

You've got the miles and miles of corn fields

#10 ·
We took a trip up there last week to show her the way, there were only a couple spots where she turned a bit early. Shouldn't be too bad if she follows the instructions and looks at the screen before she turns.

Yep it helps if you can also glance at the screen to make sure you turn at the correct time onto the correct road.
It will be hardest for her in towns where intersections or turns are close together.
When we travel around the country on the motorcycles with GPS I still like to have paper maps along and a good picture in my mind on where I want to go.

#11 ·
We got into town and put the address for the restaurant, system tells her to turn left in a 1/3rd of a mile as we're coming up to a street. She asks 'Do I turn now' even the on the screen it was showing we still away from the road. That's what scares me, she takes the instructions literally as they're given.

#13 ·
What I’ll try is to press the ‘+’ on the screen to enlarge the map to see if it makes a difference.

#14 ·
When I bought my first GPS I used it as much as possible going to locations I knew how to get to.
This way I got used to the display and how the commands worked.

scbearsfan, it might help if you drive and let your wife concentrate on the GPS on a few rides.
She'll be more relaxed if she only has to pay attention to the GPS and not worry about traffic.

#15 ·
Lee F, unfortunately do to my condition I'm only allowed to drive short distances and that's only if the wife can't drive for whatever reason.

#17 ·
Looks like OnStar’s directions are the same as the car’s NAV. It uses the same screen controls and what not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.