GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2019 road noise

14K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Mikeske 
#1 ·
My '19 LT, bought in Feb., has terrible road noise, particularly from the rear. I could hardly wait to get out of it after putting 1,000 miles on it this past weekend. My '17 Cruze LT is much quieter and somehow I thought the more-expensive Equinox would be as quiet as the cheaper Cruze. I find it hard-to-believe a product manager signed off on this as acceptable.

Someone on a Chevy forum mentioned putting Dynamat in the spare tire well and getting some improvement. Has anyone done that here?

Thanks!

#12 ·
I agree with this suggestion. Something doesn't sound right if your Nox has that much road noise. I find mine is quiet in general. Not the best out of the cars I have owned but definitely one of the better ones. Coming from a '17 Rav 4, the Nox is like a Cadillac.

#3 ·
Might go to a Harbor Freight and get a couple of the moving blankets, nice and thick, lay in the back and see if it helps insulate the noise. These uni-body SUVs are just noisy seems like, especially down on the southern highways that are really old pavement.

#4 ·
AuditorBill----Keep in mind that the back of the 'Nox that is the "trunk" is open and channels all that road noise into the "cabin" seating area. On the Cruze it was somewhat isolated unless you had the rear seats folded down. I found my old (2014) Malibu was much noisier with seats down while carrying large items. Similarly, my Camaro has increase road noise transmitted forward when the seats are down. As others have mentioned, tires can also make a significant contribution to noise--and it may increase/decrease as you put more miles on the tires. Good luck n isolating to your comfort level. Dynomat may be the solution, but I don't have experience with it in mine.

#6 ·
My '19 LT, bought in Feb., has terrible road noise, particularly from the rear. I could hardly wait to get out of it after putting 1,000 miles on it this past weekend. My '17 Cruze LT is much quieter and somehow I thought the more-expensive Equinox would be as quiet as the cheaper Cruze. I find it hard-to-believe a product manager signed off on this as acceptable.

Someone on a Chevy forum mentioned putting Dynamat in the spare tire well and getting some improvement. Has anyone done that here?

Thanks!

i find mine is incredibly noisy compared to my 2015 equinox and 2010 terrain, i have the 18” wheels with michelin tires ... the 19” hankooks don’t seem much different as far as road noise... i think gm just cheaper out on sound deadening in the 3rd generation equinox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I would check the PSI's in your tires.
Especially that it is getting warmer outside.
My '18 thing was serviced back in February and at that time they inflated the tires to 38-39. I had to gradually deflate them to 36, but just yesterday, when the temperature went suddenly up to 90's in the NYC area - the noise returned. The pressure was in low 40's. So I will have to deflate them again or think about some other method, like an alternative gas.
Plus I used my GM Rewards for the retractable cargo cover. It helps somehow. A little bit, but still helps.

#8 ·
try having ur tires filled with nitrogen, pressures will vary a lot less with temperature change... most tire shops carry it now days and it’s normally less than $20 to do all 4 tires. u shouldn’t have to manually adjust pressures again it’s recommended when doing so that you set the pressure 2-3 psi higher than what you’d normally set it. the recommended pressure is a “cold “ pressure meaning before the tire heats up and is designed that when the tire is up to operating temperature it will also be at the proper operating pressure. i know with normal air, if my tires are set at 35 psi, after an hour on the highway at 70mph in 80 degree temps they will be at about 39psi the couple mechanics i’ve talked to about this situation say if i run nitrogen to set it around 37psi and it should be good year round and never need touched... which is nice bc over the course of the year temps vary about 100 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
well, here goes---- WORST sensitivity to road conditions on any tire I have owned . period !! my 2018 nox 2.0 is a great car-- except for this. when going over lane reflectors it feels like tires are solid rubber-- like forklifts have-

the ride is so sensitive to cracks or any pavement roughness just not acceptable. I have varied tire pressure from 32# up to 39# cold
anyone else have this experience similar ?? I have a CO2 bottle--easy to fill and change pressure

the tires --michelin Premier ltx 225/60 r18 thanks ,mike

#16 ·
The ‘19 Terrain SLT I test drove a few days ago had these same tires (18’s too). My initial impression was this ‘19 was louder than my ‘11, but not by much. Then when I drove my ‘11 home that night it verified my suspicion: my ‘11 *is* quieter, but it’s not a huge difference.

#14 ·
We have a 2016 V6 Equinox as one of our pool cars at work (also a 2018 Equinox LS) and agree, the 2016 is a little quieter than the new models. Almost as good as my personal benchmark, my old '06 Explorer. Still, the Nox is better than most other small SUV's like the Rav, CX-5, Escape...etc. I've driven most of the competition and the only one that is close, surprisingly, was the Tuscan.

This post has been deleted
#17 ·
I pulled the rear compartment top cover up and there is a large open hole in the right side, big enough for me to stick my hand and wrist into and touch metal. Is that supposed to be there?! I stuffed a towel in there and could still close the compartment cover flat!

#18 ·
The Nox and twin Terrain are what I call the modern day station wagon. I am going to go back 50 years and my dad had two cars. One was a 1968 Dodge Monaco 2 door sedan and the 2nd was a 1968 Dodge Monaco 3 seat station wagon. Both cars were used much the same except the wagon was used by mom and the sedan by my father. The 2 cars cars were identical except the open cargo area of the wagon. The wagon was much noisier inside when riding around on the freeway and in town. The wagon had a what mom called a drumming action at speed but the sedan had the rear covered by seats and the design of the sedan. I accept the fact that my Equinox has a bit more road noise then a comparable sedan like the Malibu. No matter what is done a larger open area will have the road noise and the manufactures try to limit the noise but that large open area directly over the rear wheels is inherently going to have a bit more road noise. As others have stated putting in some form of insulation will help a bit but it also adds weight no matter how much can and will effect fuel mileage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.