GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Diesel 1.6L Not Avaliable In 2020 AWD

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  g00fy 
#1 ·
I was just going through the order guide for the 2020 Equinox/Terrain and noticed that the 1.6L Turbo Diesel is no longer available for the AWD's, FWD only so if your looking for a AWD diesel grab one before there gone.

The active Aero Shutters are gone on all models as well, although I don't think that's something the average driver will really miss.

At the same time I looked at the changes for the 2020 Traverse and Chevy has gotten rid of the 2.0L Turbo (actually mid 2019) which I don't think was a big seller anyway, so now it's 3.6L only across all of Traverse models.

#3 ·
At the same time I looked at the changes for the 2020 Traverse and Chevy has gotten rid of the 2.0L Turbo (actually mid 2019) which I don't think was a big seller anyway, so now it's 3.6L only across all of Traverse models.
At the same time the Traverse loses the 2.0; the 2020 Blazer gains the 2.0 I-4 LSY as an option.

#7 · (Edited)
You would have to get 40+ mpg for all miles to break even with the low per mile fuel cost I get with my 2017 Nox AWD 2.4L LEA running E85.

E85 now at $1.66 a gallon in my area. My 2017 Nox averages about 21 MPG on the stuff. That comes out at about 8 cents a mile fuel cost.

Diesel is $3.08 in my area. To get the 8 cent a mile fuel cost, it would have to average 40 MPG for all miles not just highway to break even.

That and the additional complexity and emissions junk doesn't make diesel in a car worth it to me. I have to deal with diesel in my commercial stuff (21,000 gallons of diesel a year I buy) and have no interest in adding to the frustration with my personal vehicles.

Could be others figured out the same thing and the demand and mystique of diesel in the Nox/Terrain platform went away. Or the gell up of diesel in winter that less experienced folks dealt with lessened demand.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Yeah, when you have not only the cooling of the motor, but water cooling of the turbo and water cooling of EGR on these modern diesels, it really puts a strain on things. This is why radiator requirements doubled on heavy commercial trucks. The emissions junk really takes away from the glamour of diesel. Even in many medium duty trucks that traditionally had diesels, they are scaling back and putting larger gasoline engines in them. You can thank your government who cares for you. Sarcasm intended.

Reactions: c&wsinbad
#10 ·
Copperhead--I agree 100%. I was raised in a western state where approximately 80% falls under the jurisdiction of the BLM--Bureau of Land Management; talk about a dogmatic, authoritarian approach. Unfortunately, I believe the Environmental Protection Agency used the BLM as a role model when they started implementing management styles and "protection" philosophies. I'm off my soap box now!

#11 ·
They could have saved us all some grief if they would have taken advantage of modern technology to control emissions. A Dutch firm called Amminex developed a cartridge based SCR system several years ago that is so effective it eliminates the user having to add DEF and it eliminates the need for cooled EGR setups on diesels. It never freezes up in cold weather like DEF can. And the cartridges are recyclable and can be sized to last for the OEM vehicle recommended oil change cycle. Pull one out, replace with a new cartridge, and go on your way. No mess. And by eliminating the need for EGR, the DPF regens are less frequent and the DPF systems last much longer with fewer issues. Unlike a normal DEF / SCR system that requires injector to dose DEF (33% urea and 66% water) into the catalyst, the Amminex system delivers 100% urea in a gaseous form to the SCR. No injector or DEF filter to go bad. No crystallization of DEF fluid that can choke DEF filters and injectors.

And this system has met EPA guidelines. The OEM's still have their head stuck where the sun doesn't shine. And they think they are high tech. Give me a break.

#16 ·
I don't think it was GM not meeting their sales goals, rather it was 10 years late to the diesel party. Gas engines have really narrowed the gap in the fuel economy area to the point that it will take years and years to justify the difference in fuel price and cost of initial purchase. I will grant you that 40 plus mpg is fabulous and nothing to sniff at but unless the vehicle is leased and can be returned after 3 years the true cost of the diesel will be revealed after the warranty is over and the very high costs of even basic maintenance will blow the mpg out of the water. While service is gotten better its still a chore to find shops that will even work on them as Dodge, and Ford found out to their dismay as they had to send their customers to International dealerships and Dodge to Cummins Service Centers.

#17 · (Edited)
And it didn't help things when VW got into trouble with its diesel programming and got hit hard by the EPA.

GM had a major stake in VM (not VW) engines of Italy. They dumped their stake in VM when they had their financial woes and bail out stuff went down. VM makes some good diesel engines. I had one in my 2006 Jeep Liberty. GM did steal away the main engineer on the 2.8L VM diesel and rebranded the VM 2.8L as their Dmax that is now in the Colorado / Canyon pickups. That motor was developed when GM was still in VM, so they really didn't steal the design. Except for a couple of minor details, the engine is identical to the 2.8L VM diesel I had in my Jeep. At least they got that one right.

Folks in the U.S. are more comfortable with gasoline engines in their cars. Diesel has an uphill battle to gain market share in the U.S. Many folks just aren't perked up when the word diesel is mentioned. I only use diesel for my commercial stuff. If it was practical to walk away from diesel and never deal with it again, I wouldn't even let the screen door hit me on the way out. Retirement just can't get here quick enough!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.