GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

What trailer are you towing?

34K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  Plekto 
#1 ·
I've just finished reviewing every thread in the Towing & Hauling section, but did not find much information regarding which trailers are being towed successfully.
I know what my vehicle's specifications are, so that is not my question.
I'm thinking about getting a small enclosed cargo trailer. Trying to figure out what size would work for me.
I am wondering, "What trailer are you towing?" (with your Equinox, SRX, or Terrain)

Would you provide some information about your rig?
1. Photo please
1a. or, type and size of trailer, single axle or tandem axle
2. Empty weight of the trailer
3. GVWR of the trailer
4. Did you add a brake controller? what brand? comment about ease of installation.
5. Comments about how your rig handles while towing, especially about pulling uphill/downhil and emergency stopping.

THANK YOU!

#2 ·
I had an 18'x8.5' wide Enclosed trailer with 6'6" interior height that I needed to take to my dad. Per the specs, empty it was 2800, so it was within the 3.6L/AWD towing specs, but once they were next to eachother, I would not have tried it for more than moving it on my property. It was just too large.

I have been looking at 4x8 and 6x10/12 landscape trailers myself. Probably would not go over a 6x12 enclosed, but even then, you'll be really limited on how much you can put in it, since they usually weight almost half of the towing weight.

#5 ·
For width, just make sure you can see around it with your mirrors. I ended up towing that trailer with a UHaul 2500 Dodge Pickup, but it did not have trailer mirrors. I could not really see around the trailer, which made maneuvering it difficult. Since there are model specific aftermarket options for mirror extensions, that would be my concern.

#6 ·
I had a 5x9 cargo trailer, stand-up height.
tried pulling with a pontiac montana.

around town - no issue. even empty, on highway the v6 had no where near enough power. constantly shifting and really had to sink the gas pedal.

terrain likely is good for a popup camper trailer, or utility trailer, no problem. wind resistance on a cargo trailer, or an rv would make it an un-enjoyable experience.

#8 ·
I have the '13 Nox with the 2.4 in it. I have a 5x8 wire mesh trailer that I got from Lowes. It has the 1 7/8" receiver on it. I've used it to haul yard waste and my 4 wheeler.

It has the shorter tailgate that doesn't rise up above the backside of my vehicle so the drag isn't as noticeable. The Nox does a great job pulling the trailer around.

#11 ·
I have some experience towing with my 2014 V6 Equinox. It does not have the factory towing package, but I installed a 2' hitch and brake controller. I tow a 16 foot RV trailer that is 6'6" wide, about 8' high and 2450 lbs empty. I use this trailer for camping all summer including trips to the mountains. Last year we took a 3 month trip from Alberta Canada to Baja Mexico and back with no real issues. My Equinox is a front wheel drive and we could have used all wheel drive a few times when off road.
Here is a picture with my trailer.
Thank you both! Good info. I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Robototh,
What kind of brake controller did you install?
Did you DIY, or have someone install it.

I'm still considering which trailer I want. Been looking for a used one, but not much selection in the sizes that would work for me.

#9 ·
What trailer are you towing

I have some experience towing with my 2014 V6 Equinox. It does not have the factory towing package, but I installed a 2' hitch and brake controller. I tow a 16 foot RV trailer that is 6'6" wide, about 8' high and 2450 lbs empty. I use this trailer for camping all summer including trips to the mountains. Last year we took a 3 month trip from Alberta Canada to Baja Mexico and back with no real issues. My Equinox is a front wheel drive and we could have used all wheel drive a few times when off road.

#12 ·
I purchased a Curt brake controller online and installed it myself. The install was not easy as there was no factory wiring for the controller, so did some research for wiring and took at least 1/2 a day to install. I miss quoted my trailer width in my previous post, it is actually 7' wide, not 6'6". I also installed shocks on my trailer and some helper "Air Springs" on the Equinox and do not use a weight distribution hitch.

#15 ·
Great video of the torture tow test. I didn't take any pics, by my 2018 Terrain Diesel tows my 2006 Yamaha Waverunner very well. No issues up and down the boat ramp. The hill holder feature is a nice add on. I'll try and tow my dual snowmobile trailer sometime this winter for an additional test.

#17 ·
Towing Travel Trailer

I've towed several Travel Trailers with a 2012 Terrain 4 cylinder. and my current vehicle a 2015 Equinox V6. First off I wouldn't tow anything other than a small utility trailer with the 2012 4 cylinder. My 2015 V6 Equinox LT has 18" tire option and I have a prodigy brake controller which I had professionally installed. I've towed a 2005 Chalet folding A frame camper which weighed about 2000 lbs. and it towed great. Currently I'm towing a 2019 Sunset Park RV, the Sun Lite 16BH (purchased July of 2018. This TT (travel trailer) has a dry weight of 2680 lbs and a dry hitch weight of 185 lbs.. I don't travel with any full water tanks (fresh, black or gray), I use a U1 battery which adds 25 lbs. to the hitch weight. 2 propane filled adds another 40 lbs. so this brings the hitch weight to 250 lbs. I travel with one passenger and don't overload the Equinox or the trailer with too much "stuff". I don't use a Weight Distribution hitch because the Nox suspension handles the weight fine, very little sag. I use Dometic mirror extensions and they are excellent. I drive 55 to 65 mph and run the transmission in manual 5. The profile of the travel trailer causes a lot of wind resistance so you definitely can tell the difference between hauling a pop up style camper compared to a TT. My TT was pre wired for a backup camera, it uses the running lights to supply power to the camera. This turned out to be a problem because the Nox limits the amp draw on the running light circuit and the camera would work intermittently. I had to add a dedicated 12 volt power source to the camera to get it to work properly. I have traveled on Interstates and country roads and very little sway. Plenty of power from the engine and with the trailer brakes stopping is excellent. Transmission will shift down to 4th when going uphill or if I have a head wind. When on the Interstate Hwy running about 65 mph it tends to stay in 4th, about 3000 rpm and I don't know if this is a problem. I will do a transmission fluid service soon and I'll talk to the tech. and see if everything looks OK. I follow the severe maintenance service schedule. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

#46 ·
Towing Travel Trailer I've towed several Travel Trailers with a 2012 Terrain 4 cylinder. and my current vehicle a 2015 Equinox V6. First off I wouldn't tow anything other than a small utility trailer with the 2012 4 cylinder. My 2015 V6 Equinox LT has 18" tire option and I have a prodigy brake controller which I had professionally installed. I've towed a 2005 Chalet folding A frame camper which weighed about 2000 lbs. and it towed great. Currently I'm towing a 2019 Sunset Park RV, the Sun Lite 16BH (purchased July of 2018. This TT (travel trailer) has a dry weight of 2680 lbs and a dry hitch weight of 185 lbs.. I don't travel with any full water tanks (fresh, black or gray), I use a U1 battery which adds 25 lbs. to the hitch weight. 2 propane filled adds another 40 lbs. so this brings the hitch weight to 250 lbs. I travel with one passenger and don't overload the Equinox or the trailer with too much "stuff". I don't use a Weight Distribution hitch because the Nox suspension handles the weight fine, very little sag. I use Dometic mirror extensions and they are excellent. I drive 55 to 65 mph and run the transmission in manual 5. The profile of the travel trailer causes a lot of wind resistance so you definitely can tell the difference between hauling a pop up style camper compared to a TT. My TT was pre wired for a backup camera, it uses the running lights to supply power to the camera. This turned out to be a problem because the Nox limits the amp draw on the running light circuit and the camera would work intermittently. I had to add a dedicated 12 volt power source to the camera to get it to work properly. I have traveled on Interstates and country roads and very little sway. Plenty of power from the engine and with the trailer brakes stopping is excellent. Transmission will shift down to 4th when going uphill or if I have a head wind. When on the Interstate Hwy running about 65 mph it tends to stay in 4th, about 3000 rpm and I don't know if this is a problem. I will do a transmission fluid service soon and I'll talk to the tech. and see if everything looks OK. I follow the severe maintenance service schedule. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.
Hello. I have a 2012 Terrain. I’m going to rent a 5x9 U-Haul trailer, to haul a sectional, loveseat and couch and a California king mattress. What are your suggestions

#19 ·
I plan to tow a two place enclosed snowmobile trailer this winter. All up weight will be around 2,200lbs. This is with a 19' terrain with the 2.0 engine. I will need mirror extensions and I still can't find any that are guaranteed to fit the OEM mirrors. Any help would be appreciated. I don't expect this to be a lot of fun but I believe it's doable.

#20 ·
That should be a piece of cake...depending on the distance, and elevation change that you are towing over. I pulled a utility trailer loaded with stuff, with my 1.5L and couldn't even tell it was on...come to think of it, what happened to that stuff and trailer - maybe it wasn't on ! LOL I only went 50 miles, and not much in the way of hills also.

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks! what year is your terrain/nox ?.. Are you towing a sled trailer? My standard trip will be 150mi. from the lower penninsula to the UP, not much elevation change at all, more worried about getting stuck in parking lots with the trailer on icy, snowy surfaces. I don't think the stock Hankook tires are going to cut it.

#24 ·
My "helper air springs" are "AIR LIFT 60727 1000" purchased on Amazon, there is no kit for the Equinox, so you will need to measure your spring diameter and height and get the appropriate universal kit. For the 2014 I had to remove the bump stops from inside the rear springs, so a fair bit of work to drop the rear suspension.

#28 ·
If there is rear end squat from trailer tongue load, that weight pushing down on the rear axle is creating lift on the front axle. The rear axle is the fulcrum in the leverage. In this situation some traction is lost from the front tires.

Helper springs do not help with lost traction or weight transfer.

The reason I ask if anyone is using a weight distribution hitch is: I don't know if the hitch on our vehicles is capable of supporting the torque that a WD hitch imposes on the unibody/frame. Does anyone know what GM says?

#27 ·
I'm not planning on using a weight distribution hitch or a brake controller. Not a lot of tongue weight on the sled trailer but the enclosure will be way above the terrain so I'm not expecting much as far as MPG goes.. I hope I have enough brakes but I'm not towing over mountains. My 1/2 ton truck towed this trailer with two sled inside very nicely but I had the 6.0 liter engine and 368 HP.. I only got about 11 mpg .. If I can get 14 mpg towing the same trailer with the terrain I'll be thrilled.. I wish the terrain had a larger gas tank. 15.6 gallons isn't much when towing a 2,200 lb. loaded trailer. I bought the dometic mirrors that trailerhauler recommended and they fit great and will not scratch my chrome mirror covers as the clip on to the bottom of the mirror housing.. I bought 17" wheels and bridgestone blizzak ws80 tires for winter as the 19" OEM wheels and hankook all season tires just won't cut it in the snow. Wish me luck.

#31 ·
I'm not planning on using a weight distribution hitch or a brake controller. Not a lot of tongue weight on the sled trailer but the enclosure will be way above the terrain so I'm not expecting much as far as MPG goes.. I hope I have enough brakes but I'm not towing over mountains. My 1/2 ton truck towed this trailer with two sled inside very nicely but I had the 6.0 liter engine and 368 HP.. I only got about 11 mpg .. If I can get 14 mpg towing the same trailer with the terrain I'll be thrilled.. I wish the terrain had a larger gas tank. 15.6 gallons isn't much when towing a 2,200 lb. loaded trailer. I bought the dometic mirrors that trailerhauler recommended and they fit great and will not scratch my chrome mirror covers as the clip on to the bottom of the mirror housing.. I bought 17" wheels and bridgestone blizzak ws80 tires for winter as the 19" OEM wheels and hankook all season tires just won't cut it in the snow. Wish me luck.
Which wheels and tire size did you get...?

#30 ·
I need to hook up my trailer before the snow flies to see how much squat I really get. Hopefully not much but that heavy trailer in the video towing torture test had about 2" I was still very impressed with how well the terrain with 2.0 engine towed that trailer though. I don't think they installed any helper springs. I used to tow a 9,000 lb. 25' pocket cruiser boat with the 1/2 ton truck and it was not fun but everything was within limits. Just being in limits doesn't mean it's going to be a piece of cake.. Fingers are crossed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.