GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Checking oil level, cold or warm

39K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  repairman54 
#1 ·
When do YOU check oil levels, cold or warm engine. I usually let it warm up, then let it 'settle' for a few minutes before checking. I've read all kinds of opinions and curious what yours are.

#2 ·
I believe that as long as the oil has settled back into the pan, you should be OK, and if you consistently check it under similar conditions. For example, check if in the morning in your garage, before you start it up. That way, you are at the same incline and same oil temperature.

#5 ·
I check once a week Saturday mornings when it is cold, but also check at the gas station when I fill so warm.

#9 ·
30 years of driving, I never check the oil level. I've always just changed the oil myself at regular intervals and eyeballed what came out in the pan. That's my "dipstick".

Good thing I chose the V6 over the I4, right??

#10 ·
I check oil bi weekly on the under 100k motors. My Malibu at 170k gets a weekly check along with the quick under hood visual scan.
Usually when cold when everything is down in the pan.
An ounce of prevention is worth 10 pounds of cure.......

#11 ·
You're absolutely right, but I've just never done it. Maybe some day I'll get burned, who knows, but I think I'm diligent and disciplined enough with my oil changes, and also can *hear* when my engines are telling me they might be as much as a quart low, that it would take a catastrophic failure - like a hole in the oil pan - to get me.

Or, an engine that instantaneously makes oil disappear - but who's ever hear of *that*?

Oh, wait ... didn't GM make ...

Reactions: digital-audiophile
#14 ·
That "Oil" light .. if there is one, will not come on till way too late if at all. People have found no oil reading on the dip stick and the light still did not come on.:devil:

#20 ·
My thought--If you don't check it cold, you run the risk of starting an engine that has NO oil, or insufficient oil. The only way around that is to check it every evening when it stop for the final time--and that carries risks if you have a leaking seal or gasket somewhere.

Just my thoughts after years of doing aircraft preflights BEFORE flight.

#21 ·
Either cold or hot, anytime is better than not at all.

When evaluating for oil consumption, the dealer will let it sit on a level surface for 10 minutes after reaching operating temp.

The dipstick on the 2.4l will only show 3.5q up to full. Similar for other vehicles. Although it may not show on the dipstick, be careful about adding too much. My ex-wife once could not see oil on the dipstick, freaked out, and added 5 quarts without checking. It ran for several miles until the engine spilled its guts on the roadway.

#22 ·
I'm not sure what is in the pre 2018 manuals but the '18+ owners manual states the engine should be cold for most accurate results:
Quoted from Manual
- To get an accurate reading, park the vehicle on level ground. Check the engine oil level after the engine has been off for at least two hours. Checking the engine oil level on steep grades or too soon after engine shutoff can result in incorrect readings. Accuracy improves when checking a cold engine prior to starting. Remove the dipstick and check the level.

- If unable to wait two hours, the engine must be off for at least 15 minutes if the engine is warm, or at least 30 minutes if the engine is not warm. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it with a clean paper towel or cloth, then push it back in all the way. Remove it again, keeping the tip down, and check the level.

Reactions: cnshammond
#24 ·
That is the ideal. Use the same technique as commercial heavy truck operators do. It is what we call a "pre-trip inspection". Check the oil do a general walk around the vehicle looking for problems. Even walking towards a vehicle first thing in the morning and looking over things as you approach can reveal some issues. Like looking for puddles of oil or coolant on the ground among other things. Doesn't take hardly any time out of the day to do this. But by checking oil, making sure windshield washer fluid is topped off, etc can greatly reduce the risk of unsuspecting problems showing up and ruining a person's day.

#25 ·
I check cold, no need for wiping the stick just pull it out. And like Copperhead said look at your vehicles. I've been ''conditioned'' by '60's and up vehicles to look at your vehicle when walking up to it for "droppings" that could be a warning sign of impending doom.

#26 ·
I think stuff like the TPMS and other features have caused many to grow lax in checking vehicles. I still am amazed when someone writes that their vehicle was two quarts low on oil, as it is obvious they don't check things. Now, one doesn't need to check every day and maybe only once a week if the vehicle has a track record of not using oil, but if it starts to show signs of that, then start checking more frequently. Problems just don't show up overnight, they are gradual. There really is no justifiable reason to ever get below the add mark on a dip stick.

#27 ·
TPMS is a result of laziness or stupidity or both. Period. Low oil, air or coolant issue isn't a new thing it's been with us for decades. Back in the late '60's when I was a pump jockey, look up Service Station in history books, it was the same as today. Down a few qt. at the pump, half flat tires, exhaust hanging low, the list is endless. Forget about those red and yellow lights on the dash, as long as it cranks up and moves ''yer good to go''....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.