GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

GM Service Bulletin 14882 - Blocked PCV valve causing Rear Main Seal failure

276K views 164 replies 92 participants last post by  richnewton 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2010 NOX that just had this exact problem, but GM says the VIN does not apply :angryfire:. Regardless, I didn't see it on this forum, so here is a copy/paste of the TSB:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10057696-3071.pdf

Bulletin No.: 14882
Date: March 2015

SPECIAL COVERAGE
SUBJECT: Special Coverage Adjustment – Plugged PCV Orifice in Intake Manifold
MODELS: 2010-2013 Buick LaCrosse
2011-2013 Buick Regal
2012-2013 Buick Verano
2011-2013 Chevrolet Captiva
2010-2014 Chevrolet Equinox
2013 Chevrolet Malibu
2012-2013 Chevrolet Orlando
2010-2013 GMC Terrain
Equipped with 2.4L Ecotec Engine (LAF, LEA or LUK)

CONDITION
Certain 2010-2013 Buick LaCrosse; 2011-2013 Buick Regal; 2012-2013 Buick Verano; 2011-
2013 Chevrolet Captiva; 2010-2014 Chevrolet Equinox; 2013 Chevrolet Mailbu; 2012-2013
Chevrolet Orlando; 2010-2013 GMC Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LAF, LEA or
LUK) that have experienced high oil consumption may also experience a frozen and/or plugged
PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system during cold weather operation. This condition may
increase crankcase pressure leading to a rear crankshaft seal oil leak. If the oil leak is ignored or
not noticed, an engine clatter noise may be noticeable and/or the engine pressure warning light
may illuminate. If this condition is not corrected, continued driving with engine noise and/or the
engine oil pressure light illuminated may damage the engine.

SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000
miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service,
regardless of ownership.
Dealers are to perform a crankcase pressure check, and if required, remove the intake manifold
and clear the PCV orifice. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after
March 4, 2015, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor
operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to March 4, 2015, must
be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

VEHICLES INVOLVED
All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Applicable Warranties
section in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should
always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections
and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar
vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

PART INFORMATION
Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer
Care and Aftersales (GMCCA).
Note: Use the vehicle identification number (VIN), SI and the GM Electronic Parts Catalog to
determine which parts to order. The Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Replacement procedure in SI states
what parts are required to complete the repair. For example, gaskets, one-time use fasteners, and
fluids.

Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle
12591866 Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal 1

Repair procedure omitted for space. Click on the link above if you would like to see more

See less See more
#2 ·
Chevy just said the same about my Equinox. Why? It’s a 2013. It’s got about 81,000 miles on it. It’s got the 2.4L ecotec engine. It’s an LEA Engine code. WHY IS IT NOT COVERED??? 😡

Recently on a below zero night, roughly 70 miles from home, my Equinox completely stalled on the highway - stabilitrac warning, low engine power warning, tried to make it to the nearest town in limp mode and the engine shut down in the middle of now where. Found out I had a main seal failure caused by the PCV valve failure EXACTLY as outlined in service bulletin 14882. Service tech thinks there is also addition damage including timing chain and more.

The kicker is less than 10,000 miles ago, just inside of still having power train warrantee coverage, I had a bunch of power train things fixed including timing chain, actuators, etc.

I loved my Equinox up to the last 12,000 miles or so. Now? Not so much. I’ve been a Chevy owner for every vehicle in my family for the last 30 years. Come on Chevy.

#3 ·
2012 Equiniox

Same thing here , Dealer says SUV is not in the bulletin. We froze up and blew rear seal. The SUV was bought in April 2015. Bulletin was sent out March 2015. Shock dealer took lease back and sold it without making sure this was not an issue. Out in 7 below weather with wind chill at 25 below. I would think there are a lot of people out there with this problem but with lack of knowledge about this bulletin. The dealer I took mine to I had to give him the bulletin number. Claimed he could not look up bulletin.

#5 ·
Same thing here , Dealer says SUV is not in the bulletin. We froze up and blew rear seal. The SUV was bought in April 2015. Bulletin was sent out March 2015. Shock dealer took lease back and sold it without making sure this was not an issue. Out in 7 below weather with wind chill at 25 below. I would think there are a lot of people out there with this problem but with lack of knowledge about this bulletin. The dealer I took mine to I had to give him the bulletin number. Claimed he could not look up bulletin.
Unless you have over 120K miles, sounds like the extended warranty should get your vehicle fixed for free.

#4 ·
I have the same problem on a 2013. I had a 2010 that was the worst vehicle I've ever owned. It spent almost more time at the dealer being repaired, as it did on the road. Thinking that the 2013 had most problems solved, I purchased that.

About 2 months ago, I took it to the dealer to be checked due to going through oil quickly. It had the clatter when the oil got low. They checked it over, and said everything was fine. Friday, the 29th, while my wife was driving home from work, it stalled at a stop sign. It would not restart, so a wrecker was called. The driver notice a puddle of oil underneath. The dealer checked it over, and found the oil seal leak. They said that the warranty expired last month, that it also didn't meet the criteria for the extended warranty, nor did it matter that it had just been in to have the loss of oil checked.

I've owned nothing but GM since my teen years. This situation is making me question that decision, I certainly will not buy another Equinox, and will tell friends and family to do the same.

#7 ·
2014 Chevy Equinoix

As the owner of a 2014 Equinox with this PCV/Main Rear Seal issue. I could not be more unhappy with the response that I have received from my local dealer. Ironically enough, I got my oil changed on 12/28/2017 and my car was fine. On my way home from work on 12/29/2017, the engine started making a weird noise and no sooner the oil pressure and turn off engine light came on. I immediately pulled into the gas station and turned off my vehicle. I had it towed to the Chevy dealership and they gave me a loaner and told me about the Special Coverage Adjustment and Service Alert. However, now they are saying that my engine won't start and I have to pay them $375.00 just to run a compression test! They also said that they definitely see that the seal is broken but that there has to be another issue because the engine won't start so it's more than likely not covered! I call BS on this! My attorney will be in contact...rest assure.

#22 ·
As the owner of a 2014 Equinox with this PCV/Main Rear Seal issue. I could not be more unhappy with the response that I have received from my local dealer. Ironically enough, I got my oil changed on 12/28/2017 and my car was fine. On my way home from work on 12/29/2017, the engine started making a weird noise and no sooner the oil pressure and turn off engine light came on. I immediately pulled into the gas station and turned off my vehicle. I had it towed to the Chevy dealership and they gave me a loaner and told me about the Special Coverage Adjustment and Service Alert. However, now they are saying that my engine won't start and I have to pay them $375.00 just to run a compression test! They also said that they definitely see that the seal is broken but that there has to be another issue because the engine won't start so it's more than likely not covered! I call BS on this! My attorney will be in contact...rest assure.
Have you had any additional luck with your Equinox and your dealings with Chevy? The reason I ask is... I have a 2013 Equinox and had this same situation happen to me on Tuesday night 2/6/18. I had it towed to my mechanic and he educated me on the issues the Chevy Equinox were having. He told me about this website. Due to the fact that my Rear Main Seal blew off. All the oil in my car drained out (luckily) shortly before I got back to my house. After I arrived home, I went in the house, came back out and my Car would not start. My engine is "Shot". Looking for some possible answers and or some direction. Thanks

#8 ·
When I picked up the vehicle, I asked if they had any information on why this bulletin didn't apply. As many others have experienced, they didn't know. They just plunk the VIN into the computer, and get a yes or no answer. The service advisor speculated that there was a series of VINs during a certain perioed that had the problem. As the bulletin is for vehicles over a 4 year span, that explanation wouldn't seem to be the case.

#9 ·
I know this is an almost 3-year-old Bulletin, but it is interesting because - I thought the oil consumption problem was confined to 2010-2011 (and possibly 2012) models. Yet, we see in this Bulletin language that says, "...vehicles that have experienced high oil consumption may also experience a frozen and/or plugged PCV". And it lists 2010-2014 as the affected model years for the Equinox, and 2010-2013 for the Terrain (all with the 2.4L engine). So there is apparently known oil consumption issues with the 2.4L engine beyond 2012 that go to 2013 with the Terrain and 2014 with the Equinox.

But what I don't understand is - if the engine is "consuming oil", isn't that *lessening* the likelihood of a frozen PCV because with less oil there's less moisture, too ... no? Isn't it the moisture from the oil that is causing the PCV to freeze up? I would think if you're burning away the oil - while that's obviously not good for your engine, it's actually *helping* the PCV system by eliminating more of the moisture it would otherwise have to eliminate. Or is an engine that *consumes* oil somehow also generating *more* moisture than it otherwise would? Seems counter-intuitive.

Also, the instructions for the Service Techs look questionable to me. The Bulletin says to "perform a crankcase pressure check" and "clear the PCV orifice if necessary". What if this is being done when the weather is warmer? They won't find a frozen PCV then. And they're not replacing the PCV ... just "clearing" or cleaning it?

And why only ONE model year for the Malibu (2013)? Hasn't the 2.4L engine been in the Malibu prior to that?

#44 ·
Hi...

My 2013 Equinox just blew the rear main seal. 230km on it. I was told bulletin 14882 does not apply to my vehicle VIN. Really!!!! All the oil escaped from my engine. Stalled while driving down the road. Timing chain busted, balance chain busted. The issue is excessive oil usage. The rings on the pistons do not function properly and oil is blown by the pistons into the combustion chamber and burned off. Using too much oil. Also the combustion passes the rings into the crank case causing excessive pressure in the crank case. Carbon in the air in the crank case causes the pcv orface into the intake manifold to plug up. Then on a cold day when the water that has collected in the air intake at the PCV valve freezes there is now where for the air to escape from the crank case and then the weakest point fails. The rear main seal and out goes all your oil. My engine is exactly the same as the one in the Bulletin, however GM fails to come good for it. It is a beautiful vehicle. My wife loves it. So I fixed it myself. New chains and guides. No other damage to anything. Lucky me. I have to find something to stop the oil from blowing by the piston rings. Maybe an oil treatment.

#10 ·
Probably screwed

My husband and I have a 2012 Equinox 2.4L and we looked up the bulletin after our Equinox caught fire on the highway because of this issue. We have the car at our local GMC dealer (closer than chevy). We have only owned this car since December 2015 and the bulletin got sent out in March 2015 so we didn't get the letter. However a couple months ago we got the oil consumption recall letter in the mail. We thought we had that issue because it burned oil really fast one week but once we got it up to our local chevy dealer and they wrongly (we just found out from GMC) did the oil consumption test. But it didn't burn any oil before 2000 miles and they said if it didn't that it didn't need to come back so we never went back. So I talked to a lady at GMC and she said that our VIN didn't bring up any recalls and doesn't qualify for the service bulletin because our specific engine wasn't built at a specific place. But on the bulletin it says nothing about the engine having to be built at a certain place or during a certain time frame. So we're waiting to hear back from our GMC dealership and I also have a claim in the Chevrolet (not a dealership the actual company) and I should hear back from them in a couple days and if GM as a whole doesn't fix my vehicle my husband and I will be talking to an attorney.

We also only have 107,000 miles on out equinox so we're well under the 120,000 marker.

#108 ·
Probably screwed

My husband and I have a 2012 Equinox 2.4L and we looked up the bulletin after our Equinox caught fire on the highway because of this issue. We have the car at our local GMC dealer (closer than chevy). We have only owned this car since December 2015 and the bulletin got sent out in March 2015 so we didn't get the letter. However a couple months ago we got the oil consumption recall letter in the mail. We thought we had that issue because it burned oil really fast one week but once we got it up to our local chevy dealer and they wrongly (we just found out from GMC) did the oil consumption test. But it didn't burn any oil before 2000 miles and they said if it didn't that it didn't need to come back so we never went back. So I talked to a lady at GMC and she said that our VIN didn't bring up any recalls and doesn't qualify for the service bulletin because our specific engine wasn't built at a specific place. But on the bulletin it says nothing about the engine having to be built at a certain place or during a certain time frame. So we're waiting to hear back from our GMC dealership and I also have a claim in the Chevrolet (not a dealership the actual company) and I should hear back from them in a couple days and if GM as a whole doesn't fix my vehicle my husband and I will be talking to an attorney.

We also only have 107,000 miles on out equinox so we're well under the 120,000 marker.
Any updates on this? 10 degrees outside and my daughters 2012 captiva just lost the rear main at 106K. Dealer saying vin not covered.

#12 ·
My terrain vin wasn't under the coverage either but I fought tooth and nail. When you call GM customer service you basically start with a trained monkey.. you need to move past them to actual decision makers to get anything done.

#16 ·
2012 Equinix LTZ

I was told the same thing. Our Equinox blew the rear seal. Keyes Chevrolet cleaned out the intake and sent us on our way. Eight days later the same issue happened, this time the fix is $1700. Told by Chevy customer service and by the dealership there's no financial compensation for this other than they took off the bill from the service performed eight days earlier.

#16 ·
Driving my 2013 (2.4l) home from the airport ( it was about 20 degrees out) I got the Reduced Power and Service Stabilitrak messages. Shortly after that the car lost all power.....never got an oil light. The car wouldn't restart. Had it towed to the dealer. He said the rear main seal blew out and that the engine was seized. They want $5900 to replace the engine. My car has 97,000 but is 5 years and 2 months old.....so it is out of warranty (5 yr, 100,000 mi). They said they checked and it was not covered by the special bulletin. I am very frustrated. I have a call into GM Customer Service......but not terribly optimistic at the moment.

#18 ·
If they wont allow you to move up a level follow the instructions in the back of the owners manual to bring it to arbitration.

#24 ·
2012 terrain rear main seal $972 later

I own a 2012 terrain with 2.4l eco engine covered under the TSB oh wait the VIN number is not listed sorry you owe $972.00 for repairs. This despite the dealer stating the cause of the seal going is a freezing or blockage of the PVC system on the vehicle. The blockage occurs in a drain line under the cowling where a tube comes out the cowling and is lower than the drainage line. In order to drain the water and fluids have to go up hill. So the car cools the water that condenses flows into the line but can't drain and causes a blockage and poof out goes the main seal because the engine is over pressurized. Very poor design unless the line in question is lower than cowling. My car exhibited every sign, noise, warning light, stated in the bulletin. But because my car was built in Plant A and only cars built in Plant B are covered by the VIN will only be fixed. The dealer stated the cause was this PVC SYSTEM BLOCKAGE, the TSB describes everything the car exhibits when it ran, the dealer on my receipt states all repairs done under warranty coverage including all parts and labor. The TSB states customer not responsible for cost repairs. Yet I have to pay $972 for repairs to something GMC has acknowledged is a problem to my vehicle. I complained to Chevy via customer service. Told me that my case would be considered in front of a committee that reviews cases to see if Plant A cars should be considered for inclusion of TSB that Plant B cars are in. Gave me a number waited no response, called again gave the run around and gave me another number with the same song and dance. Got a call from GMC want to talk. WE shall see. I'm a life long Chevy customer no satisfaction will look else where and encourage others to do so. Your turn GMC.

#105 ·
I own a 2012 terrain with 2.4l eco engine covered under the TSB oh wait the VIN number is not listed sorry you owe $972.00 for repairs. This despite the dealer stating the cause of the seal going is a freezing or blockage of the PVC system on the vehicle. The blockage occurs in a drain line under the cowling where a tube comes out the cowling and is lower than the drainage line. In order to drain the water and fluids have to go up hill. So the car cools the water that condenses flows into the line but can't drain and causes a blockage and poof out goes the main seal because the engine is over pressurized. Very poor design unless the line in question is lower than cowling. My car exhibited every sign, noise, warning light, stated in the bulletin. But because my car was built in Plant A and only cars built in Plant B are covered by the VIN will only be fixed. The dealer stated the cause was this PVC SYSTEM BLOCKAGE, the TSB describes everything the car exhibits when it ran, the dealer on my receipt states all repairs done under warranty coverage including all parts and labor. The TSB states customer not responsible for cost repairs. Yet I have to pay $972 for repairs to something GMC has acknowledged is a problem to my vehicle. I complained to Chevy via customer service. Told me that my case would be considered in front of a committee that reviews cases to see if Plant A cars should be considered for inclusion of TSB that Plant B cars are in. Gave me a number waited no response, called again gave the run around and gave me another number with the same song and dance. Got a call from GMC want to talk. WE shall see. I'm a life long Chevy customer no satisfaction will look else where and encourage others to do so. Your turn GMC.
I have 2013 Terrain.I I took my truck in after receiving notice from GMC regarding oil consumption I knew i had been loosing oil but couldn't understand why. Turns out My rear seal also went out ($2600+ later) . I was told the cause was the hot and cold temperatures. GM repaired the piston ring seal at no cost to me but i had to pay for my rental. During the rear seal repair they discovered the exhaust manifold needed repair as well I was told it would be another ($500+) That comes to a grand total of over $3000. So I elected to wait on exhaust manifold. When i took my truck back for oil consumption test I was told to repair the exhaust manifold would now only be $250. So i had that repaired as well. When picked my truck up after repairs were complete as i pulled off the lot a bolt fell out. Mind you they had to keep my truck an extra day because they lost a bolt. So they took my truck my back in to make sure everything was working properly. That tool about 45 min. As soon as i thought i was all set I checked the oil gauge it read 67% remaining. I was told it mechanic forgot to reset it and to put the next time oil change sticker in my window. I just have just 2 questions how can i get in on lawsuit and could the oil consumption malfunction have anything to do with rear seal or exhaust manifold malfunctioning?

#25 ·
Well I contacted the GMC service center escalation dept. Because my vehicles VIN is not listed under the recall they will not reimburse me for the $972. But she told me once the case is closed that it may be looked at by the engineering dept. for review to see if it should be included. If so then a notice would be sent and I could file for my costs. Two dealers even advocated for my case to be reviewed but to no avail. As usual no one is listening to the little guy, the people that pay the salaries of the automakers. Maybe would should protest like the students in Florida over gun control measures but recall notices and proper measures when dealing with something like this..........................

#28 ·
chevylemon

ever since I had the fuel pump replaced at 39k miles. I have serious oil consumption problems...oil not coming out the exhaust or on the ground. So it is
invecting the motor. I am constantly putting oil in. Had oil change drove the car and within a few hundred miles it was empty. the transmission and ac went out had to be towed in. 2010 for 2 years the yellow engine light has been on. The engine rattles. It has major repair work done by dealer. Had to be towed in a second time for same problem. Timing chain replace, sensors replaced and so much more.Open up the hood and oil is everywhere. Now needs new engine at $8200. ugh my car is paid off....too many problems with this car.

#29 ·
ever since I had the fuel pump replaced at 39k miles. I have serious oil consumption problems...oil not coming out the exhaust or on the ground. So it is
invecting the motor. I am constantly putting oil in. Had oil change drove the car and within a few hundred miles it was empty. the transmission and ac went out had to be towed in. 2010 for 2 years the yellow engine light has been on. The engine rattles. It has major repair work done by dealer. Had to be towed in a second time for same problem. Timing chain replace, sensors replaced and so much more.Open up the hood and oil is everywhere. Now needs new engine at $8200. ugh my car is paid off....too many problems with this car.
Bring your vehicle back to the dealer, and tell them about your oil consumption issue, and they should run a oil consumption test on your car, and you will likely end up with a repaired engine - for free !