GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Electric Parking Brake question

38K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  tic 
#1 ·
I have a new '18 Equinox with the Electric Parking Brake. If the mechanism failed or failed to get power, is there a way to manually release the parking brake?

#2 ·
Excellent question. Hopefully, when there is no power to the motor or solenoid that engages the brakes, it will disengage, such that pulling a fuse, would release the emergency brake. I'll have to look for a fuse, to see if my theory is correct.

#4 ·
If the mechanism failed, it would be the same as if a caliper seized on. No way to release it.

From what I've seen, the unit is sealed quite well. I don't think it's going to be an issue for quite awhile.

#6 ·
I have a 2019 Equinox, right side park brake is stuck on. Dealer states there is no way to manually release the park brake if it is stuck on. This is 3rd time we brought the vehicle in for park brake service - about 3000 miles on the vehicle. This time the vehicle is sitting at dealership for 4 days so far.

#7 ·
There are two ways of releasing the parking brake.

One is with an appropriate scan tool and select Parking Brake Service Mode.

Two obviously if you don't have the above, there is still another way to do it.

Naturally take all obvious steps to ensure safety when working on a lifted vehicle. The following is for the Parking Brake Actuator fails or loss of electrical power.
On the side that is 'locked' remove the parking brake actuator which is attached to the caliper by two bolts. Once removed insert a hex bit of the proper size into the piston and rotate clockwise to retract the piston.

You can replace the actuator without replacing the caliper. Also when done on both methods, Park Brake Calibration is required. This is done by the scan tool, the shop manual does not call out a manual way to do that if its even necessary.

Hope this helps.. By the way only for 18 and 19 and any other 'electrical' parking brake vehicle that GM has.

#11 ·
One would think that the dealer could just do some soldering just to get you back on the road, and call you in a few months after the harness comes in.

#12 ·
Keep driving the CTP loaner. Let them fix it right. Yes, you may be making payments, but not putting miles on your vehicle. Plus insuring a vehicle, but again, no miles. Perhaps you can get the dealer to request GM give you the CPO additional warranty for piece of mind.

#13 ·
I use my electric e-brake religiously on my 2019; now questioning if that's such a great idea, knowing if it fails, the default is locked wheels.

#14 ·
On a steep enough slope it might be 6 of one, half a dozen of another, meaning the transmission Park pawl binding. Back in July I was visiting family in Ea. Washington state, had a family barbecue and my daughter parked her 06 Lacrosse on my brothers relatively steep driveway. She hadn't applied the E-brake before shifting into Park. Once she got ready to leave, she couldn't get the column shifter to budge, I pretty much knew what the issue was, it took 2 grown men and 2 hefty teenage boys pushing on the back of the car to relieve the pressure on the pawl, I would say the car lurched ahead 4-6 inches once the pressure was relieved, but that did the trick. On the other hand, on the same trip I was riding with my cousin who has a Superduty Powerstroke, one heavy truck, and he parked on a even steeper slope without using the E-brake, I mentioned my daughters story, and he said his Dad taught him never to use the E-brake out in the country. Me, I always apply the e-brake before shifting into Park on a steep slope, anybody that remembers the Ford Aerostars will know why, and no I never owned one.

#19 ·
Hey Tic, can you give us the reference in owners manual about the manual parking brake release. I looked for it and did not find it. Its possible it was for a pre 18 model year and that is the way its done for those vehicles. The shop manual for the eq and terrain do not call this out. Cheers

#20 ·
Tic may be referring to the instructions for Manual Park Release, which I found on page 194 of the owner's manualfor my '18 Terrain. But that, per my reading, is to switch the transmission from Park to Neutral, not for disengaging a stuck parking brake.

#21 · (Edited)
Ours is a 2019 Denali with the 2.0 gas engine.. The procedure for manual park release is outlined starting on page 203 in my manual. EDIT:.. I just saw the previous post and I apologize, the procedure is for "manual park release" not "manual parking brake release".. Sorry, I guess we are screwed if the parking brake stays engaged

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.