2012 2.4L Timing Chain and Oil Consumption Question - Page 2 - TerrainForum.net: GMC Terrain Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7
In this oil cycle I have already put 2 quarts in and it was already a 1/2 quart low and probably 40% left until next oil change.
LKing is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 02:07 PM
Hero Member
 
New to the Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing View Post
The problem is the car will not start, and it did have oil 2 days prior to this happening. I guess my main question is.. should this be covered under the extended warranty gm is offering. In the letter it says "high oil consumption and any issues that it may have cause" I also saw that on the 10-11 model they replace the timing chain, guides, and actuators and a few other things. Is the issue I'm having not a direct cause of high oil consumption?
Proving it is the question.
Do you have snother dealer to call and get a second opinion?
I don't believe that the timing chain, as a separate issue, has an extended warranty for your year. Could be wrong.
GM number is in your manual. Should be able to find it on line too.

Jeff from Iowa, Purchased 2011 Nox in Nov. 2016, Manufacture date 10-10, 2.4l, AWD
New to the Nox is offline  
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: California
Posts: 45
Take it to a dealership, request an oil consumption test under special campaign 16118 (https://gm.oemdtc.com/7458/16118-spe...ox-gmc-terrain)
grendel20 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 02:41 PM
Hero Member
 
New to the Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel20 View Post
Take it to a dealership, request an oil consumption test under special campaign 16118 (https://gm.oemdtc.com/7458/16118-spe...ox-gmc-terrain)
His problem is that it is hard to do a consumption test if the vehicle no longer runs. :-(

Jeff from Iowa, Purchased 2011 Nox in Nov. 2016, Manufacture date 10-10, 2.4l, AWD
New to the Nox is offline  
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing View Post
The problem is the car will not start, and it did have oil 2 days prior to this happening. I guess my main question is.. should this be covered under the extended warranty gm is offering. In the letter it says "high oil consumption and any issues that it may have cause" I also saw that on the 10-11 model they replace the timing chain, guides, and actuators and a few other things. Is the issue I'm having not a direct cause of high oil consumption?
If the timing chain / guides are indeed bad, which is possible since you say you have a P0016 code(cam/crank correlation bank 1 sensor A, which should be intake side). One of the possible causes for this code is a faulty timing chain, although there are several other possible causes as well. Because you say you also smell fuel in the oil, I would almost bet that you have the same issue I did - high pressure fuel pump is leaking fuel into the crankcase, and not causing a "consumption" issue but rather a "dilution" issue. I was adding 2-3 quarts between oil changes as well, but the fuel was diluting it down and making it look like it was low. This can cause the timing chain and components to go bad because they are not getting the lubrication they need. So yes, the two *can* be related, but I wouldn't expect GM to cover it under the extended warranty if it does apply to your vehicle, most likely they will tell you that one didn't cause the other, therefore it's your issue to pay for. It would be worth putting a call in to GM though, and see if it is something they would assist with.
hayners334 is offline  
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Hero Member
 
New to the Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayners334 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing View Post
The problem is the car will not start, and it did have oil 2 days prior to this happening. I guess my main question is.. should this be covered under the extended warranty gm is offering. In the letter it says "high oil consumption and any issues that it may have cause" I also saw that on the 10-11 model they replace the timing chain, guides, and actuators and a few other things. Is the issue I'm having not a direct cause of high oil consumption?
If the timing chain / guides are indeed bad, which is possible since you say you have a P0016 code(cam/crank correlation bank 1 sensor A, which should be intake side). One of the possible causes for this code is a faulty timing chain, although there are several other possible causes as well. Because you say you also smell fuel in the oil, I would almost bet that you have the same issue I did - high pressure fuel pump is leaking fuel into the crankcase, and not causing a "consumption" issue but rather a "dilution" issue. I was adding 2-3 quarts between oil changes as well, but the fuel was diluting it down and making it look like it was low. This can cause the timing chain and components to go bad because they are not getting the lubrication they need. So yes, the two *can* be related, but I wouldn't expect GM to cover it under the extended warranty if it does apply to your vehicle, most likely they will tell you that one didn't cause the other, therefore it's your issue to pay for. It would be worth putting a call in to GM though, and see if it is something they would assist with.
Gas in oil can cause the issue but I will have to slightly disagree with you on the how.
Fuel destroys the viscocity (thickness of the oil). This allows the very thin oil to get by the piston rings. Yes fuel will evaporate, but it is the fuel that is evaporating- fuel in & fuel out. But damage is done.
Fuel is very destructive (along with water) to the oil.

In the process his rings and pistons may have been destroyed as well.
If he could get it running long enough for a consumption test, he will likely get much of the repaired or at the very least have it done much cheaper because the engine is out and torn apart already.

Jeff from Iowa, Purchased 2011 Nox in Nov. 2016, Manufacture date 10-10, 2.4l, AWD
New to the Nox is offline  
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Theta Freak
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
The timing chain on my 2012 was replaced under warranty at around 25k miles. The dealer tech noticed that it sounded like a cement mixer once warmed up. This is a separate defect from the oil consumption/pistons and rings issue (which mine exhibited starting around 50k miles).

Since you brought it in under the warranty period you should try to establish the manufacturing date and argue that the failure was caused by the premature timing chain wear issue. The TSB was written to apply only to 2010-11s, but there are some ?12s that also exhibited this issue and were repaired under warranty (mine).

2012 Equinox 2.4L 1LT AWD, black, 80,000 miles
Ralphalph is offline  
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7
I can't express how much I appreciate everyone's input and time. We a currently working with GM to get the problem resolved. I will update as I get more info.
LKing is offline  
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 11:14 PM
Hero Member
 
New to the Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing View Post
I can't express how much I appreciate everyone's input and time. We a currently working with GM to get the problem resolved. I will update as I get more info.
That would be greatly appreciated. So many come on here and then drop off without letting us know.

Jeff from Iowa, Purchased 2011 Nox in Nov. 2016, Manufacture date 10-10, 2.4l, AWD
New to the Nox is offline  
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing View Post
I can't express how much I appreciate everyone's input and time. We a currently working with GM to get the problem resolved. I will update as I get more info.
Did you ever get a response from GM? I am having the same exact problem with mine. I took it in today with the same problem they told me it'll cost 1300$ to replace the guide. I tried to argue the fact because of the oil consumption. They said they would just submit it directly to GM.
cullom4023 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TerrainForum.net: GMC Terrain Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome