Battery brand? - TerrainForum.net: GMC Terrain Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
SUP
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3
Battery brand?

2014 SRX Premium / 25,000 miles

Vehicle is 4 years + old and will likely need a battery in the near future. Is there a preferred brand that SRX owners use?



Thanks,

SUP
SUP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 09:11 PM
Hero Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 540
Do not buy an AC DELCO replacement, they are garbage. Go for an Interstate or a NAPA legend.

2014 Equinox LT2 2.4L I4 Leather heated seats, remote start, power lift gate.
bluebirdvision is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 PM
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Illinois
Posts: 147
Most recent batteries I purchased was at Walmart...there are only a couple battery manufactures left here in the states and based on my experience and information I have read battery life has been greatly compromised in the recent years. Something to do with lead reclamation in the USA. I used to get 5+ years routinely out of my lawn mower and motorcycle batteries. I barely make 3 years now and I always carry a starter jump pack with me when I'm out on my Harley. The batteries just up and die without warning where before they used to give some slow cranking or other warnings before they chit the bed.

Before I purchase any replacement I always verify the battery build date. I refuse to pay for a new battery that is anymore than couple months old. I will not purchase a battery that has been sitting on a shelf for a year, let them sell those as used or to someone else.

HTH's
c&wsinbad likes this.

Greg



19 Equinox 2.0T Pepperdust Premier AWD delivery 12/26/18
07 DTS Caddy
94 C1500 6.5T diesel Silverado 234K ole green

Last edited by Crankme69; 02-17-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Crankme69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:42 PM
Sr. Member
 
garbec01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cambridge IL - USA
Posts: 406
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdvision View Post
Do not buy an AC DELCO replacement, they are garbage. Go for an Interstate or a NAPA legend.
.
Are you saying that the replacement AC Delco's are not the same quality as the OEM batteries installed originally? Is it that the quality/reliability has changed/deteriorated?

I ask because I had two Sonic's for seven years with the original Delco batteries, and still appeared functional when I traded the vehicles.

I also have a 2009 Silverado that just turned ten years old this month; its OEM Delco battery is working fine, even with the extreme winter weather we have experienced lately.

Regarding the Interstate battery: My work van, a E350 Ford, is on its second Interstate replacement battery, and it is a 2011.

It's probably difficult to find a battery at any cost or any brand that is made to the standards of previous years. Now with the stop/start systems, a AGM battery is required.

Battery replacement/selection rates right up there with what engine oil and filters to use as a forum "hot topic."

.
garagerog likes this.

2019 Chevy Equinox; 2.0 - LT - FWD - Silver Ice/Redline - Purchased 10/20/2018; Mills Chevrolet, Davenport IA
2016 Chevy Equinox; 3.6 - LTZ-AWD - Black/Black - Purchased 7/7/2016; Mills Chevrolet, Davenport IA
2017 Chevy Malibu; 1.5 - LT - Pepperdust - Purchased 8/2017; Green Chevrolet, East Moline, IL
2009 Chevy Silverado; 5.3 -LT - 4WD - Ext. Cab - Granite Met. - Purchased 02/2009; Green Chevrolet, East Moline IL
garbec01 is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:42 PM
Hero Member
 
c&wsinbad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 865
Cfrankme69---I had never considered asking about the battery manufacture date. Very good point. Thanks.

2018 Premier, 2.0T, Cajun Red
c&wsinbad is online now  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:47 PM
Hero Member
 
c&wsinbad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbec01 View Post
.
Now with the stop/start systems, a AGM battery is required.
.
My 2018 'Nox Premier has stop/start system, but the battery is NOT AGM. It's a regular lead plate/acid battery---and has just a single battery. Also--unfortunately--I just had the battery replaced under warranty. It was showing a high resistance to the OnStar Diagnostic system, resulting in numerous advisory messages from OnStar that dealer service was required.

2018 Premier, 2.0T, Cajun Red
c&wsinbad is online now  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 11:04 PM
Sr. Member
 
garbec01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cambridge IL - USA
Posts: 406
Garage
Another tip I recommend prior to installing the new battery, I will charge it on the bench at the recommended rate until fully charged. Then I load test the battery with a handheld tester to verify that it will withstand a load; I do this two test cycles. After it cools and stabilizes, I charge it again until fully charged, then I install it.

The load test is optional, but the initial charging until fully charged is beneficial, not only to the new battery, but to the vehicle's charging system.
Crankme69 likes this.

2019 Chevy Equinox; 2.0 - LT - FWD - Silver Ice/Redline - Purchased 10/20/2018; Mills Chevrolet, Davenport IA
2016 Chevy Equinox; 3.6 - LTZ-AWD - Black/Black - Purchased 7/7/2016; Mills Chevrolet, Davenport IA
2017 Chevy Malibu; 1.5 - LT - Pepperdust - Purchased 8/2017; Green Chevrolet, East Moline, IL
2009 Chevy Silverado; 5.3 -LT - 4WD - Ext. Cab - Granite Met. - Purchased 02/2009; Green Chevrolet, East Moline IL
garbec01 is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 11:30 PM
Sr. Member
 
garbec01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cambridge IL - USA
Posts: 406
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by c&wsinbad View Post
My 2018 'Nox Premier has stop/start system, but the battery is NOT AGM. It's a regular lead plate/acid battery---and has just a single battery. Also--unfortunately--I just had the battery replaced under warranty. It was showing a high resistance to the OnStar Diagnostic system, resulting in numerous advisory messages from OnStar that dealer service was required.
This is interesting, as I'm sure my 2019 Equinox LT has a AGM. The label on the top says; 48AGM - 700cca - 70ah, and what I can read that isn't covered by a bracket says catalog no. 378.

Also I believe the owners manual specifies a AGM also; I'll have to re-read this.

Maybe the battery problems that you have experienced are the result of the incorrect battery application.

What does the label on your battery state?

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/ca...log_search.php
Above is a link from AC Delco. Both the 2018/2019 Equinox 1.5 and 2.0 engines use the same AGM battery.
.

2019 Chevy Equinox; 2.0 - LT - FWD - Silver Ice/Redline - Purchased 10/20/2018; Mills Chevrolet, Davenport IA
2016 Chevy Equinox; 3.6 - LTZ-AWD - Black/Black - Purchased 7/7/2016; Mills Chevrolet, Davenport IA
2017 Chevy Malibu; 1.5 - LT - Pepperdust - Purchased 8/2017; Green Chevrolet, East Moline, IL
2009 Chevy Silverado; 5.3 -LT - 4WD - Ext. Cab - Granite Met. - Purchased 02/2009; Green Chevrolet, East Moline IL

Last edited by garbec01; 02-17-2019 at 11:44 PM.
garbec01 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:12 AM
Sr. Member
 
garbec01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cambridge IL - USA
Posts: 406
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP View Post
2014 SRX Premium / 25,000 miles

Vehicle is 4 years + old and will likely need a battery in the near future. Is there a preferred brand that SRX owners use?



Thanks,

SUP
You might want to research replacing the battery on this car. I've read that you should attach a memory saver prior to disconnecting the battery or numerous computer issues occur and settings will need to be reset.

.

2019 Chevy Equinox; 2.0 - LT - FWD - Silver Ice/Redline - Purchased 10/20/2018; Mills Chevrolet, Davenport IA
2016 Chevy Equinox; 3.6 - LTZ-AWD - Black/Black - Purchased 7/7/2016; Mills Chevrolet, Davenport IA
2017 Chevy Malibu; 1.5 - LT - Pepperdust - Purchased 8/2017; Green Chevrolet, East Moline, IL
2009 Chevy Silverado; 5.3 -LT - 4WD - Ext. Cab - Granite Met. - Purchased 02/2009; Green Chevrolet, East Moline IL
garbec01 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 AM
Hero Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbec01 View Post
.
Are you saying that the replacement AC Delco's are not the same quality as the OEM batteries installed originally? Is it that the quality/reliability has changed/deteriorated?

I ask because I had two Sonic's for seven years with the original Delco batteries, and still appeared functional when I traded the vehicles.

I also have a 2009 Silverado that just turned ten years old this month; its OEM Delco battery is working fine, even with the extreme winter weather we have experienced lately.

Regarding the Interstate battery: My work van, a E350 Ford, is on its second Interstate replacement battery, and it is a 2011.

It's probably difficult to find a battery at any cost or any brand that is made to the standards of previous years. Now with the stop/start systems, a AGM battery is required.

Battery replacement/selection rates right up there with what engine oil and filters to use as a forum "hot topic."

.
They must be of a different quality, because I agree the OEM batteries last forever, my mom's 2011 HHR still had the original battery when she traded it last year with 110k on it. But i had two Delco replacements fail within a year and they do not prorate their battery returns.

2014 Equinox LT2 2.4L I4 Leather heated seats, remote start, power lift gate.
bluebirdvision is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TerrainForum.net: GMC Terrain Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome