TerrainForum.net: GMC Terrain Forum

TerrainForum.net: GMC Terrain Forum (https://www.terrainforum.net/index.php)
-   Site News & Announcements (https://www.terrainforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Introducing the New Forum Social Customer Service Team for OnStar (https://www.terrainforum.net/showthread.php?t=6348)

scbearsfan 08-06-2013 12:11 PM

Re: Introducing the New Forum Social Customer Service Team for OnStar
 
OnStar team, we had the service for our 08 Nox and were paying approx 20 a month for the basice service, when we bought our 2012 we received the 6 month free trial with Direction and Connections after the free trial was up I called to see what offer I could get to keep D & C, I was willing to pay the same price as before but the first CSR said she couldn't do any thing but she transferred me to a different dept and she offered me D & C for less than what I was willg to pay even though I told her I would pay the 20 dollars. Made no sense.

Odinson 08-06-2013 12:57 PM

Re: Introducing the New Forum Social Customer Service Team for OnStar
 
Hi. Welcome.

What is the official way to disable ALL cell service to and from the onstar unit? This is both a policy and technical question.

Thanks.

retired 08-21-2013 10:35 PM

Re: Introducing the New Forum Social Customer Service Team for OnStar
 
I heard your vehicle can be TAKEN OVER by OTHERS whilst you are driving down the street, by evil messages beamed thru the Onstar.....is this true? Can your grandchildren's minds be fried while watching the DVD players because of crossover power surges when the OTHERS attempt the takeover? :help: And WELCOME!

Odinson 08-21-2013 11:32 PM

Re: Introducing the New Forum Social Customer Service Team for OnStar
 
So sorry if I've made anyone feel bad. Most folks do not want to think about computer security any more than they want to learn what a particular .ini file does on their computer or how many pins the tumbler in their home's back door lock has.. :sleepy: I think retired's point is my post was the last here before you fell silent. :mope:

Please continue your discussion about features and technical problems. I won't interfere. Even if you ignore me. :dancing:

I would like to have a conversation about the security of Onstar, GM and cars in general. I'll be happy to do it offline or online. It's probably for the best as DARPA has decided the public should have this discussion now, with or without you.

I think GM is turning around and I'm excited about the latest round of cars, including my own. :cheers: Best to you.

sidebite252 08-22-2013 08:03 AM

Re: Introducing the New Forum Social Customer Service Team for OnStar
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by retired
I heard your vehicle can be TAKEN OVER by OTHERS whilst you are driving down the street, by evil messages beamed thru the Onstar.....is this true? Can your grandchildren's minds be fried while watching the DVD players because of crossover power surges when the OTHERS attempt the takeover? :help: And WELCOME!


OnStarAdvisor 08-22-2013 09:35 AM

Re: Introducing the New Forum Social Customer Service Team for OnStar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCBEARSFAN
OnStar team, we had the service for our 08 Nox and were paying approx 20 a month for the basice service, when we bought our 2012 we received the 6 month free trial with Direction and Connections after the free trial was up I called to see what offer I could get to keep D & C, I was willing to pay the same price as before but the first CSR said she couldn't do any thing but she transferred me to a different dept and she offered me D & C for less than what I was willg to pay even though I told her I would pay the 20 dollars. Made no sense.

I am glad to hear our Advisors were able to help and resolve this. We have a lot of different packages to offer from and we do our best to set you up with a plan that works for your needs. If you have any further questions just PM me with your contact info.

-Jaymz, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

OnStarAdvisor 08-22-2013 09:52 AM

Re: Introducing the New Forum Social Customer Service Team for OnStar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Odinson
Hi. Welcome.

What is the official way to disable ALL cell service to and from the onstar unit? This is both a policy and technical question.

Thanks.

I want to first thank you for being a loyal General Motors fan.

In regards to your posting about disabling the OnStar system, due to the safety and security of our customer's vehicles I cannot provide any information on if/how our system can be disabled. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the service or assist in any way I can with your account.

If you have further questions you are welcome to PM me and I will answer to the best of my ability. Thanks again!

-Jaymz, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

scbearsfan 08-22-2013 09:59 AM

Re: Introducing the New Forum Social Customer Service Team for OnStar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidebite252

Good one Snkebite

Odinson 08-22-2013 11:11 AM

Re: Introducing the New Forum Social Customer Service Team for OnStar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OnStarAdvisor
I want to first thank you for being a loyal General Motors fan.

In regards to your posting about disabling the OnStar system, due to the safety and security of our customer's vehicles I cannot provide any information on if/how our system can be disabled. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the service or assist in any way I can with your account.

If you have further questions you are welcome to PM me and I will answer to the best of my ability. Thanks again!

-Jaymz, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

Security through obscurity is not much better than no security at all. Thanks for your answer. Fair warning to others. GM == Onstar, take it or leave it.

There are several ways to protect your customers safety while honoring the wishes of GMs customers. Just provide a definitive cellular off switch at the unit?

I understand you might think a would be thief could use that when stealing the vehicle (although the 45min of stuff in the way might make them think otherwise) In that case why not offer a version of your telematics unit. Without any cellular(onstar) circuitry inside. Then some customers could simply pay for the stripped down unit, and have the dealer swap it in. You could do all kinds of GM dealer encrypted signature type stuff, keying a particular car to a particular no-star telematics unit. That way theives can't just pick one up and swap it in. No two way network in my car for me, no stress for you. You'd be covered since they had to work at buying the thing and having it installed indicating both understanding and intent.

Simply staying mum meant I talked to many people, disabled it, and published how to do it. The secrecy doesn't help your organization, but it really hurts GM. They lose out on the $45,000 sale to protect your $500 stake. If I had any idea how integrated the unit is, or how dangerous that is, I never would have plunked the 45k down for the car.

Onstar was convinced in an era of beepers and satellite phones. This is NOT that era. No exaggeration or metaphor, warfare is waged on the internet. I don't want my car in that war. If my cell phone company fails to secure my phone, I buy a new phone, if you fail to secure my car, I fail my family.

Odinson 08-22-2013 11:21 AM

Re: Introducing the New Forum Social Customer Service Team for OnStar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidebite252

Dude! You stole my car!

Rodney Dangerfield - Live 1978 (Part 1)



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome