GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2012 2.4L Timing Chain and Oil Consumption Question

62K views 71 replies 29 participants last post by  Buddyevans430 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I purchased a 2012 equinox with 29000 miles on it about 2 1/2 years ago with the 75000 mile extended warranty. Within the first few oil changes my wife noticed that a constant clattering noise was coming from the engine and she was told by the place that changed the oil that it was a couple of quarts low. During this time the vehicle is still under warranty and 2 different service advisers from 2 different dealers told her the clattering was the fuel injectors and the oil consumption was minimal. At this time the vehicle is out of warranty. We received a letter a few months ago from Chevrolet stating that they were issuing an extended warranty to anyone having the issue with oil consumption and any issues that were related to low oil. A few days ago the check engine light came on giving a P0016 code and yesterday the car would not stay on. I replaced the intake and exhaust timing actuators and the engine would still not run. I also noticed a smell of fuel in the oil... I have it at a dealership now and was told that it is either the timing chain or timing chain guide and it is not covered under the extended warranty recently issued by Chevrolet. I have been able to find information on the timing chain build on 2011 models built in March. Is there anything out there for 2012 models and does anyone know if there is a contact / phone number for GM that I can talk to about this issue. Any help / advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

See less See more
#4 ·
Demand an oil consumption test. You just pay for the oil change at the dealer which is generally $40 and they will check your oil every 500 miles (you will need to bring it in). They replace the rings and pistons for free if you use 1 quart or more in 2,000 miles.
Chances are the chains are fine. They will get loud when you are low on oil.
But if they have to be replaced, it will be MUCH cheaper to do so when they already have it opened up for the rebuild.

Fuel in oil is NOT good. Your high pressure fuel pump may be leaking or an even more likely cause is the fuel is getting past the piston rings into your oil.

Im guessing you are getting really crappy gas mileage.

#7 ·
I had the same issue with fuel in the oil, check the high pressure fuel pump. This can also cause it to seem like the oil is low, because when fuel is entering the crankcase the oil has to go somewhere, or the fuel dilutes the oil down and it burns off with no indication of where it's going. Replaced the HPFP in mine, no more fuel in oil, and no more "consumption" issue, the oil is staying at the correct level.

#8 ·
The problem is the car will not start, and it did have oil 2 days prior to this happening. I guess my main question is.. should this be covered under the extended warranty gm is offering. In the letter it says "high oil consumption and any issues that it may have cause" I also saw that on the 10-11 model they replace the timing chain, guides, and actuators and a few other things. Is the issue I'm having not a direct cause of high oil consumption?

#12 ·
Proving it is the question.
Do you have snother dealer to call and get a second opinion?
I don't believe that the timing chain, as a separate issue, has an extended warranty for your year. Could be wrong.
GM number is in your manual. Should be able to find it on line too.

#38 ·
Wow, sounds like I could have written that question. we are having the same issues. We just paid the dealership $625 to do a diagnostic and open up the engine. I'm the only owner. I just paid the car off last year so was I surprised when the car wouldn't start a week and a half ago. The timing chain was replaced at 54000m. and they are suspecting it's probably timing chain. We had to escalate the issue to corporate. Still don't know what we are going to pay or if chevy is going to pay anything. It's a shame because I really like my car. We were faithful with oil changes anywhere between 4000-5000 miles.. I'll let you know next week what happens. Best, Sue

#17 ·
The timing chain on my 2012 was replaced under warranty at around 25k miles. The dealer tech noticed that it sounded like a cement mixer once warmed up. This is a separate defect from the oil consumption/pistons and rings issue (which mine exhibited starting around 50k miles).

Since you brought it in under the warranty period you should try to establish the manufacturing date and argue that the failure was caused by the premature timing chain wear issue. The TSB was written to apply only to 2010-11s, but there are some ?12s that also exhibited this issue and were repaired under warranty (mine).

#22 ·
It has, pretty much, been isolated to the 2.4L There may be rare instances of it with the 3.0L, but very rare. But, still a good idea to monitor it. However, if it is an issue, it will be at your expense, I am almost positive the GM has not extended the warranty to the V6 engines. So, if I were you, and it is burning oil, I would probably just add oil when needed, and if it go too much, then I would consider unloading it. Oil consumption can lead to screwing up a cat convertor, and that can be spendy if your State has emission inspections.

#23 ·
my 2010 3.6 uses oil.....
depends on the type of driving I do. highway vs stop and go.

But over the last 128,000 miles of my Traverse- its been up to 1.5 qts per 5000 mile oil change intervals.

My current 5000 mile oil change interval-- I've added 1.9 qts to keep the oil at my FULL level- 1st time Ive gone past 1.5.
Actually changing oil today- as I hit 5000 miles yesterday.

My true full oil level-- is the oil level shown on the vehicle after I change my oil and filter.
I also measure the oil that comes out.

I keep 2- 1 qt bottles that I use exclusively for adding oil during the oil change interval.... this way I can tell how much im using.

#28 ·
Unfortunately the car will not be fixed, after arguing the the problem was related to the oil consumption issue and them finally agreeing , gm told me that because the oil changes didn't get done at a certified gm dealership they would not honor the special warranty, even though I had all of my oil change receipts . So I traded it for a ford!

#29 ·
Huh! Is this a first?? I thought the general consensus here was that as long as you could show documentation of your oil changes, you'd be OK.

Were these oil changes done at a reputable establishment, and do they show vehicle ID, dates, and odometer readings??

Reactions: RIT333
#33 ·
I have a 2012 Equinox and have had the timing chain replaced when it started making a loud noise. This happened near the end of my oil consumption test, because my car was low on oil between 1 to 3 qts every 2000 miles. Dealer told me fixing the timing chain would solve the oil consumption problem (despite my arguing that my letter from GM says it's the piston rings). So at 2000 miles after my new timing chain was installed, it was low 3 qts of oil AGAIN. Dealer tells me I have to start the oil consumption test over again because the timing chain didn't fix the problem and it's GM policy to re-do the consumption test. I've been going back and forth with dealer for 9 months doing the oil consumption test and they tell me I have to start it over because the timing chain went out. Makes no sense but GM is backing up the dealership and won't agree to fix my car until I prove AGAIN several instances where my vehicle is low on oil at 2000 miles. Since I first took my car to the dealer in March, I've put another 15,000 miles on it and made a lot (maybe 8 or 9?) trips to my dealership documenting the oil consumption. So I guess they want me to log another 8,000 miles in order to prove again that it's using oil. GM does not want to fix all these cars. They're trying anything they can to get out of it, hoping people will do what you have done and trade the vehicle or give up in frustration. This will be my last GM vehicle, but I will make sure these jerks fix it before I trade it.

#34 ·
This video will explain the connection between the oil consumption and timing chain, normally two unrelated parts. What I want to know is how GM thinks new piston rings will fix scratched cylinder walls. My guess is they know it won't but replacing damaged rings, 1/2 the problem with oil getting past pistons and may slow oil consumption. Funny when this car was new 2012 I was most angry that I had been lied about having a Mylink infotainment system, not knowing that it had been delayed and I got a look-alike colored touchscreen infotainment system. It's much cheaper to replace a radio than an engine to be sure.

#35 · (Edited)
This video will explain the connection between the oil consumption and timing chain, normally two unrelated parts.
If that mechanic is right, and what he’s saying makes sense (plastic guides being ground down by metal chains), then *all* of these engines may fail the same way sooner or later. The key is probably just maintaining the proper oil level. If the oil is there, the plastic parts survive (at least for the practical life of the vehicle). If not, they don’t.

But - generally speaking, I think it's poor design to bury plastic parts inside an engine if these parts come into direct contact with moving *metal* parts! Metal vs. Plastic is an easy victory for metal every time.

#36 · (Edited)
I have it at a dealership now and was told that it is either the timing chain or timing chain guide and it is not covered under the extended warranty recently issued by Chevrolet. I have been able to find information on the timing chain build on 2011 models built in March. Is there anything out there for 2012 models and does anyone know if there is a contact / phone number for GM that I can talk to about this issue. Any help / advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

My 2012 Equinox is also getting a new timing chain. Apparently its very common and GM wont cover it. One mechanic said if I don't change it, my engine might be destroyed. overtime by it and its the cheapest fix to try to help save my car and not deal with GM who has been horrible. I have a case number open and they never call or follow up. I've been frustrated with them also not covering another issue that some 2012 models have extended coverage for. First, I had a similar code, and they had to replace solenoids. Second, my rear main seal exploded while I was driving and vehicle could not start after. It has been in the shop for a month now... for timing chain and rear main seal explosion. No idea when it will be fixed. I am taking it to another dealership after to run the oil consumption test as I am not confident the other dealership did the test even though I asked.

#37 ·
"First, I had a similar code, and they had to replace solenoids."

P0010? Camshaft actuator solenoids? Generally, those fail when the car is consuming too much oil.

I can see the dealership making a fuss regarding the rear main seal failure, but the timing chain and pistons should be replaced under the extended warranty. Sounds like you already have a case number open with GM Corporate

#39 · (Edited)
Did (conventional) oil change on my 2002 Chevy Impala this weekend. Bought brand new June 2002, still original parts pretty much throughout except battery and brakes. Car has almost 209,000 miles on it. Had been 3200 miles since last change. Got 4 quarts out. Car takes 4.5 quarts of oil.

So that’s 1/2 quart of oil lost/consumed over 3200 miles on a nearly 16 year-old vehicle.

A little perspective for some of you unfortunate 2.4L Nox owners....

#42 · (Edited)
Hi. Just joined. My 2012 Equinox LS 2.4 with 83,000 miles threw a P0016 code a week ago and wouldn't stay running. I replaced the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor to no avail. My oil consumption has been about 1/2 qt between changes (per oil change light - about 6200 miles). When the problem happened, it was due for an oil change and about 1/2 qt low. I pulled the valve cover and confirmed that the timing chain was tight. The chain guides that I could see from the top end appear to be in good shape. When disassembling the intake system, about 1/4 cup of foamy oil and water poured out of the PCV well in the intake plenum.

I towed it to my local Chevy dealership last Wednesday. They finally told me yesterday that they think it skipped a tooth on the timing chain and wanted $1700 to replace. I'm renting a tow dolly to bring it back home on Saturday morning to do the timing chain myself. I ordered the timing kit plus gaskets and the cam phaser bolts from NAPA for $227.64. I figure it's going to be about a 4 hour job while it's snowing on Saturday. In hindsight, I should have skipped towing it to the dealer as it would have saved me the hassle and the $75 for the timing chain diagnosis. Could have bought one of the VVT actuators for that much.