GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Would you get a manual transmision,if it was offered ?

Would you buy Manual transmission

137K views 95 replies 56 participants last post by  Silversn95 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone would be interested in getting a manual tranny for a Terrain or Equinox.

I have the 5 speed manual in my 06 HHR,and I think it makes the car more fun to drive..

I also had a 86 GMC full size G Van with factory 4 in the floor......

#2 ·
I own a small Aveo5 and an automatic tranny is painful: no power when needed. So the manual transmission is a must.

For Equinox a manual transmission would be just useless. Try to use the manual shifts you have now I you'll understand what I mean.

#4 ·
If the Nox were a little smaller/lighter and I didn't live in one of the most congested metro areas in the country...sure, a manual would be fun. In my younger days I had a Toyota Corolla GTS, Nissan 300ZX and a Honda Prelude with rowsticks and I enjoyed them all. Now that I've gone all soft, I prefer the music at a sane volume and the car to do the shifting for me. :D

#5 ·
JohnEqui said:
I own a small Aveo5 and an automatic tranny is painful: no power when needed. So the manual transmission is a must.

For Equinox a manual transmission would be just useless. Try to use the manual shifts you have now I you'll understand what I mean.

I have used the manual shifts,and I do not understand what you mean............

A manual setting on an automatic trans is no where close to a standard or manual transmission ...

In my opinion,the 6 speed trans on the Terrain/Equinox is it's weakest link,but then again that is my opinion and you may disagree .

I prefer a manual as it makes a person more focused on driving.

G
#6 ·
tjjkc said:
I have used the manual shifts,and I do not understand what you mean............

A manual setting on an automatic trans is no where close to a standard or manual transmission ...

In my opinion,the 6 speed trans on the Terrain/Equinox is it's weakest link,but then again that is my opinion and you may disagree .

I prefer a manual as it makes a person more focused on driving.
Why is a 6spd the weakest link?

A manual on this type of car would not sale to the market its geared towards. You will never see it. If you want "more" performance driving out of your Nox, than use the "M" mode to control the gearing, but as you mentioned, thats not really shifting gears, but it does keep the rpms higher if thats what you wish (but then your going to need intake, exhaust to actually hear it), and then suspension to have fun around cornors........Not exactly the cars market is the point :). I would purchase a Forestor if it had something other than the 4sped auto, that car would have potential with a manual due to turbo and modibility.......The equinox does not, and I would say I'm one of the most modified on this site without question :)

#7 ·
2010BlkGraniteNox said:
Why is a 6spd the weakest link?

A manual on this type of car would not sale to the market its geared towards. You will never see it. If you want "more" performance driving out of your Nox, than use the "M" mode to control the gearing, but as you mentioned, thats not really shifting gears, but it does keep the rpms higher if thats what you wish (but then your going to need intake, exhaust to actually hear it), and then suspension to have fun around cornors........Not exactly the cars market is the point :). I would purchase a Forestor if it had something other than the 4sped auto, that car would have potential with a manual due to turbo and modibility.......The equinox does not, and I would say I'm one of the most modified on this site without question :)
Why is the 6 speed the weakest link(in my opinion)...............I do not like the amount of downshifting it does,put it in cruise at around 120 k( around 74 mph),....how often does it drop one or two gears to keep the selected speed............I'm not looking for more performance out of my Terrain....I do not want to keep the rpm's high ...........I would like to keep a steady speed, without having it drop down gears..!!If I had a 5 speed manual It would just add throttle to keep up to speed....

annnd.........Just as a side note ......why would I buy a Forestor,when I am an active employee of one of the !! BEST !! GM plants in North America(Oshawa,Ontario Canada)....:)

G
#8 ·
tjjkc said:
Why is the 6 speed the weakest link(in my opinion)...............I do not like the amount of downshifting it does,put it in cruise at around 120 k( around 74 mph),....how often does it drop one or two gears to keep the selected speed............I'm not looking for more performance out of my Terrain....I do not want to keep the rpm's high ...........I would like to keep a steady speed, without having it drop down gears..!!If I had a 5 speed manual It would just add throttle to keep up to speed....

annnd.........Just as a side note ......why would I buy a Forestor,when I am an active employee of one of the !! BEST !! GM plants in North America(Oshawa,Ontario Canada)....:)
Then complain to the programming of the engine/tranny PCM to your boss's....because it utterly sucks.

6spd in any setup is going to have to drop down gears, the benefit of having a 6spd is the ability to add some VERY STEEP gearing, our first and second gears show just that. I think we could've gotten away with 5psd, but 5-6spd autos (its all advertising as more is better) are the way all automatics are going. I just like steep gearing. We do not even get to 1:1 until 5th (which is nice) and 6th is just an OD. Having steep tranny gears makes moving this 4k pound beast not so bad for those that have the I4, imagine driving around on a 4T40/45 setup (highest gear is 2.95....On the 6T45 its 4.5 in 1st, 2nd is higher than the 1st on a 4T40, and every gear throughout the band is higher, this allows the engine to REV which increases the driving experience. Add the 4T45 in and its a DOG, nobody would've purchased the I4 setup, unless the final drive was something around 4.11:1 gearing. Having such steep tranny gears , allows for smaller final drive gearing and is the way all automatics are moving twards, and will be needed in the days coming of lower power and torque 4-bangers put into jobs previously done by torquey engines.

And btw....When you talk of given a 5spd manual more gas to pass, that has more to do with final gear than number of gears of a tranny. Having 3.84:1 in my previous car allowed this with easy, with our low gearing, we need to downshift into power gears to move the heavy beast :)

#9 ·
2010BlkGraniteNox ............good information,point taken...

About telling my Boss............I think you just did......... :D

Would I still want a manual...........yes.... :-X

#13 ·
SUV...............Sports Utility Vehicle....................but that's just my opinion........

RSchleder said:
Makes no sense to me to have a manual crossover SUV! Maybe my next Vette but not a midsized daily driver.

G
#14 ·
There's already 4 different trim levels, 2 engine options + AWD/FWD.... I'd hate to see the additional of 2 transmissions. Increasing to that many different vehicle combinations wouldn't be practical. The cost of the logistics alone would reduce the profitability of this vehcile.

As for the gearing issue, go with the V6, less gear hunting on hills.

Automatic transmissions these days are more fuel efficient than manuals. With high gas prices and fuel efficiency being a big thing GM is tooting their horn about on this particular truck, I see another reason why they don't offer it.

If you want a manual transmission and have more fun driving, get a vehicle that's suited for it.....kind of like those idiots who by an all out 2 seater sports car with an automatic...duhhh.

#15 ·
mmarges, FYI, 2/3rd of all new Vette coupes and 3/4 of all new convertibles are sold with automatics. Lots of "idiots" ( like me) drive those "all out sports cars" with the auto ;D

PS--- automatics ( when matched with the performance axle) actually run faster and more consistent 1/4 mile times than manual trans. Also, do you understand "paddle shifters"?

#16 ·
RSchleder said:
mmarges, FYI, 2/3rd of all new Vette coupes and 3/4 of all new convertibles are sold with automatics. Lots of "idiots" ( like me) drive those "all out sports cars" with the auto ;D

PS--- automatics ( when matched with the performance axle) actually run faster and more consistent 1/4 mile times than manual trans. Also, do you understand "paddle shifters"?
All so true..!
I only run a 5 speed manual in my two seater..simply because I enjoy shifting the little curve carver. In an SUV/CUV seems not much return for the effort...
BTW..drove a new Camaro SS and LT with paddle shifters..pretty slick setup..!

G
#17 ·
RSchleder
The original question posted was mentioning "Manual Transmission" and "FUN" to drive. Your point about an auto matched with the right axle might be "faster" and "more consistant" as you state, no argument there. But again, the original post was asking about an avialable manual transmission because it would be more FUN...and my statement said if you want to have more "fun driving" get a car suited for it.

Now, with that said....how about we make another poll. "In a really fancy fast car - which would make it more FUN to drive"
A. A manual tranmission where you control everything, or
B. An automatic transmission where you can lay back like an old geezer and excercise you right calf muscle....maybe you'll get a bit of a thumb workout too with those paddle shifters.

I vote hands down in a fast fancy car, the Manual will be more FUN to drive over the automatic!

#18 ·
mmarges--if you had not called me,and a high percentage of performance car owners "idiots" for driving an auto "all out sports car" I would not have felt the need to reply to your response. You seem to have totally missed my point about the high number of "idiots"(as you call us) that are driving auto's!! Perhaps you'll realize someday, that just because others have different likes/dislikes than you, that does not make them "idiots". Perhaps if you reread this post at least 3 times, you'll GET my point this time. Good luck with it!

PS--"Old Geezer" yep, I represent that remark, Sure beats the alternative!!

#19 ·
:).............as stated in the first post,I have a 5 speed trans in my HHR and it is fun to drive ,and it is not one of those fancy usefull two seaters

V6 which is what I have and it does hunt for the correct gear ,depending on speed and conditions....

I also "PREFER" to drive a standard,it seems to give me more awareness of driving,as in paying more attention,instead of sitting in drive and pretending that I am sitting in my lounge chair,with my coffee and cell phone while listening to a symphony on the radio.....

But then again that is my opinion......................

mmarges said:
RSchleder
The original question posted was mentioning "Manual Transmission" and "FUN" to drive. Your point about an auto matched with the right axle might be "faster" and "more consistant" as you state, no argument there. But again, the original post was asking about an avialable manual transmission because it would be more FUN...and my statement said if you want to have more "fun driving" get a car suited for it.

Now, with that said....how about we make another poll. "In a really fancy fast car - which would make it more FUN to drive"
A. A manual tranmission where you control everything, or
B. An automatic transmission where you can lay back like an old geezer and excercise you right calf muscle....maybe you'll get a bit of a thumb workout too with those paddle shifters.

I vote hands down in a fast fancy car, the Manual will be more FUN to drive over the automatic!

G
#20 ·
Ok, Ok, trying to behave here. Don't want this post to go off topic like the other one. Perhaps "idiot" was a bad choice of word. I was just really meaning more along the lines of why anyone would fork over big bucks for a premium sports car but then ruin it with an automatic transmission. Just my personal opinion but to each his own.

tjjkc, I agree with you that 5 speeds can make any vehicle much more fun to drive...yes, even if it were in an equinox/terrain too. But, for the long haul most people would choose the automatic for this type of vehicle and GM supplies it in the way that will make the maximum profitability. I'm also surprised that you mention the issue of it dropping gears all the time to keep up. I can see this with an I4 no matter what, but with the V6. Wondering if you live in very hilly or mountain region...or perhaps your driving style is just a little harder than the average person.

Anyhow, I don't think you'll ever see a manual on a nox/terrain and most other manufacturers are going away from them except for small vehicles and sports cars.

Now, another transmission open for debate. What do you all think about GM ever putting a CVT tranny in to one of these things???
Personally, I kind of liked every vehicle I've driven equiped with it...no gear jerking and smooth. The Nissan Murano was very nice to cruise in.

#21 ·
RSchleder said:
mmarges--if you had not called me,and a high percentage of performance car owners "idiots" for driving an auto "all out sports car" I would not have felt the need to reply to your response. You seen to have totally missed my point about the high number of "idiots"(as you call us) that are driving auto's!! Perhaps you'll realize someday, that just because others have different likes/dislikes than you, that does not make them "idiots". Perhaps if you reread this post at least 3 times, you'll GET my point this time. Good luck with it!

PS--"Old Geezer" yep, I represent that remark, Sure beats the alternative!!
Yep...pretty strong words that seem to suggest quite an ego to tip things toward the edge if not accompanied with complimenting matching agreement. Autos have come a long way..and with paddle shifter type trannys..it now can often seem the best of both worlds. I was quite impressed with that setup in the heavier Camaro. Of course the type of tranny is only a personal preference...and most do seem to choose the less effortless of the two..especially since in many new cars performance or mpg doesnt seem to suffer anymore with an auto. In my last Vette(auto)..performance was undeniable and mpg managed 28 on the open road at Corvette freeway speeds to my delight at the time.
Manual shifting can also become a hassle especially with a daily driver with any type car. Although fun to downshift and listen to the exhausts backoff on more performance oriented cars or sportscars..there are always situations where a more hands free..relaxing drive would be welcomed.
Many or perhaps most folks these days seem to gravitate to a family car or CUV that is easy to drive..comfortable..quiet..decent MPG..and doesn't require being fed premium fuel. Some of those attributes are lost with a sportscar for sure...but some might argue which is more odd..an auto in a hi tech sportscar..or a stick in a family style CUV...or niether...
Idiot type behavior can turn up anywhere..and quite laughable when they think it surely must be most everyone else.

#22 ·
I would HATE to drive my TDI Golf with the auto. It would destroy what little fun the car is. Holding RPMs around 3500 (almost redline, lol) while taking a turn is pretty **** fun because as soon as you get out of the turn you are ready to go and not waiting for the transmission to catch up.

Until DCTs are more common, Im sticking with manuals even with a bad back.

#24 ·
I voted yes, but there is one caveat for me...it would have to be a semi-auto, clutchless paddle shift on the steering wheel. I've owned 3 different manual shift cars so I'm not afraid to row my own, but the Nox/Terrain really aren't the types of vehicles that are well suited to a stick shift. Lets face it..I would bet most of us here are over 35 and use our Noxes/Terrains for urban/suburban commuting and some highway travel. As much as I enjoyed my manual trannty cars in the past...they were a pain in the butt in urban stop and go traffic.

edit- didn't realize that I had already posted in this thread a while back :D

#25 ·
NoobNox said:
I voted yes, but there is one caveat for me...it would have to be a semi-auto, clutchless paddle shift on the steering wheel. I've owned 3 different manual shift cars so I'm not afraid to row my own, but the Nox/Terrain really aren't the types of vehicles that are well suited to a stick shift. Lets face it..I would bet most of us here are over 35 and use our Noxes/Terrains for urban/suburban commuting and some highway travel. As much as I enjoyed my manual trannty cars in the past...they were a pain in the butt in urban stop and go traffic.

edit- didn't realize that I had already posted in this thread a while back :D
Hey noob, there is a clutchless shifting option on the 6 spd trannt. Put it in M and use the + and - on the shift knob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.