how to program a new key fob? - Page 3 - TerrainForum.net: GMC Terrain Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Theta GOD!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,680
Re: how to program a new key fob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantm006
Its the fob. The unlock button has fell in. It still works but i have to put the end of my house key in the hole and puth the button. Im using my wife's fob. It's brand new as she rarely drives. Thats usually my job.
Then buy a new fob on EBay, change the new fob's key with yours, and then follow the programming instructions that you can find on this forum, and you (or your wife) will be good to go.


2018 Equinox LT1 1.5 L 4 cyl, AWD, S/R Cajun Red Tintcoat/Black

2010 Equinox LTZ 2.4 L 4 cyl, FWD, S/R Cardinal Red/Black
RIT333 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Hero Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 748
Re: how to program a new key fob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rit
Is the for getting worn out, or the key portion of it. If it is the electronics, then you can move the key to the new fob - it is merely pinned in with a roll pin. If it is the key, then there are many places that can do it - and most are probably cheaper than a dealer. If it is under 3 yrs old, then the BtB warranty ought to cover it for free.
i don't see how to take it apart. I see how to remove the battery but nothing else. I don't want to break it.

GMC Terrain SLE2- Cyber Gray Metallic<br /> 2.4, Sunroof, 18" Brushed Aluminum Wheels<br />Heated Seats, Remote Start<br />Chrome Package
Phantm006 is offline  
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Theta GOD!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,680
Re: how to program a new key fob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantm006
i don't see how to take it apart. I see how to remove the battery but nothing else. I don't want to break it.
If you hold the key button down, and then have the key half-way between open and closed, you will see a hold where a roll pin mounts the key. I believe (guessing, but I am a good guesser !) that this is a roll pin that needs to be driven out with a small punch, and then you can do the same to the other, and exchange keys. Or, in your "case" (pun intended !) you may be able to pry the case apart, and swap buttons from a new remote. You may have to do some experimenting. If you are not brave, then buy one from the dealer, and "bend over".

2018 Equinox LT1 1.5 L 4 cyl, AWD, S/R Cajun Red Tintcoat/Black

2010 Equinox LTZ 2.4 L 4 cyl, FWD, S/R Cardinal Red/Black
RIT333 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 210
Re: how to program a new key fob?

The fobs are about $28 shipped on ebay. I plan to get a third one just in case also.

Thomas<br />87 Mustang 5.0 LX - 306,000 miles - former daily driver<br />2016 Mustang GT - 5,xxx miles - current daily driver <br />2006 Vibe - 85,xxx miles - son's car<br />2013 Equinox LTZ FWD I-4 - 41,xxx miles - wife's daily driver<br />2014 Nissan Rogue SV - 25,xxx miles - daughter's car
trbstang is offline  
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Hero Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 748
Re: how to program a new key fob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rit
If you hold the key button down, and then have the key half-way between open and closed, you will see a hold where a roll pin mounts the key. I believe (guessing, but I am a good guesser !) that this is a roll pin that needs to be driven out with a small punch, and then you can do the same to the other, and exchange keys. Or, in your "case" (pun intended !) you may be able to pry the case apart, and swap buttons from a new remote. You may have to do some experimenting. If you are not brave, then buy one from the dealer, and "bend over".
Nah. Ill probably pass on the dealer. Like i said, the one I have works. Its ugly butt it works. Ill figure something out. Thanks though.

GMC Terrain SLE2- Cyber Gray Metallic<br /> 2.4, Sunroof, 18" Brushed Aluminum Wheels<br />Heated Seats, Remote Start<br />Chrome Package
Phantm006 is offline  
post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Theta GOD!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,680
Re: how to program a new key fob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantm006
Nah. Ill probably pass on the dealer. Like i said, the one I have works. Its ugly butt it works. Ill figure something out. Thanks though.
If you'd like, send it to me, along with return postage, and I'd be glad to swap it for you. No big deal.

2018 Equinox LT1 1.5 L 4 cyl, AWD, S/R Cajun Red Tintcoat/Black

2010 Equinox LTZ 2.4 L 4 cyl, FWD, S/R Cardinal Red/Black
RIT333 is offline  
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Theta Freak
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,373
Re: how to program a new key fob?

Hi all, I'm also looking into getting an additional key fob before either of my OEM fobs go missing/broken. I'm looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-GMC-...its=Make%3AGMC|Model%3ATerrain&hash=item20ceab9ce2&vxp=mtr

And the seller specifically says:
PROGRAMMING : We will send you free programming to make the remote and key portion work on the car. No working keys are needed so if you lost all of your keys you can still do the programming yourself. The blade will have to be cut to match your car. 2013 model year will have to go to the dealer for programming.

But I have a 2013 model - anyone know if the procedure POLRCUB II explained will work on the 2013 models too? (Jeez - what's so different about the 2013 key fobs?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLRCUB II
For this you need both of your original key fobs;
- insert one of the two learned keys into ignition and cycle on only once - do not start vehicle
- insert the second learned key into ignition and cycle on only once - do not start vehicle
- within 10 seconds, insert new cut key fob and turn to start vehicle [do not cycle first]
- your new key fob is now programmed.

If you don't have both of your original key fobs;
- one has to order new from GM, VIN specific [key will come pre-cut to your truck] or ebay and get it copy cut, then have GM service to re-program/learn entire vehicle, takes about 1/2 hr approx.

*Disclaimer: I'm only sharing my opinion. You didn't pay for it, so my opinion is only worth that much, haha.<br />2013 GMC Terrain SLT-1, FWD, 3.6 V6 (LFX), Sunroof
Chas is offline  
post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 210
Re: how to program a new key fob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas
Hi all, I'm also looking into getting an additional key fob before either of my OEM fobs go missing/broken. I'm looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-GMC-...its=Make%3AGMC|Model%3ATerrain&hash=item20ceab9ce2&vxp=mtr

And the seller specifically says:
PROGRAMMING : We will send you free programming to make the remote and key portion work on the car. No working keys are needed so if you lost all of your keys you can still do the programming yourself. The blade will have to be cut to match your car. 2013 model year will have to go to the dealer for programming.

But I have a 2013 model - anyone know if the procedure POLRCUB II explained will work on the 2013 models too? (Jeez - what's so different about the 2013 key fobs?!)
The one I'm looking at from the same seller says dealer or locksmith programming may be necessary for 2010 and newer vehicles, so who knows. Maybe I'll order one and see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310567036669...84.m1423.l2649

Thomas<br />87 Mustang 5.0 LX - 306,000 miles - former daily driver<br />2016 Mustang GT - 5,xxx miles - current daily driver <br />2006 Vibe - 85,xxx miles - son's car<br />2013 Equinox LTZ FWD I-4 - 41,xxx miles - wife's daily driver<br />2014 Nissan Rogue SV - 25,xxx miles - daughter's car
trbstang is offline  
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 AM
Hero Member
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 682
Re: how to program a new key fob?

Is there a way to program a fob that you don,t have a key attached to.

Come to the darkside We have cookies!<br />13 Terrain 3.6L v6 awd&nbsp; red
darkside is offline  
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Theta Guru
 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,772
Re: how to program a new key fob?

Phantm006,

If you want to have the dealership look into your key fob concern, let us know.

Erica Tiffany
GMC Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TerrainForum.net: GMC Terrain Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome