Document ID: 4849237
#17-NA-265: Flutter or Boom Noise from Rear of Vehicle - (Aug 21, 2017)
Subject: Flutter or Boom Noise from Rear of Vehicle
Equinox (VIN X)
Ingersoll Assembly built prior to June 1, 2017
Ramos Assembly built prior to June 23, 2017
San Luis Potosi Assembly built prior to June 26, 2017
Involved Region or Country
North America, N.A. Export Markets
Additional Options (RPOs)
Customer may comment on hearing a flutter or boom noise from the rear of the vehicle. The noise is most noticeable while driving above 25 mph, with the HVAC off, or in recirculation mode.
The cause of the condition may be the rear pressure relief valves (PRVs) opening and closing.
The installation of an acoustic insulator panel (1) and block (2) will help to dampen the noise.
Verify the condition and install a rear acoustic insulator panel and block, following the repair steps in the Service Procedure below.
<a id="d1852e212">Service Procedure
- Remove the rear fascia and both rear pressure relief valves (PRVs). Refer to the appropriate Body Pressure Relief Valve Replacement procedure in SI.
- Install the acoustic insulator panel along the backside of the chamber between the rear body panel and the inner rear panel, following these steps:
- Slide the insulator panel (1) into one of the PRV openings.
Important: Ensure that the insulator panel is centered and DOES NOT BLOCK any of the holes in the body.
- Center the insulator along the back side of the chamber.
- Tuck the outside edges of the panel into the corners.
- Install the acoustic insulator block (1) in the middle of the chamber, between both PRVs.
- Reinstall both PRVs and the rear fascia. Refer to the appropriate Body Pressure Relief Valve Replacement procedure in SI.
<a id="d1852e275">Parts Information
INSULATOR ASM-BODY RR PNL
INSULATOR-R/END LWR PNL REINF
* For warranty transactions, DO NOT mark this/these parts as the Causal Part. Enter the word “Bulletin” in the Causal Part Description free-flow text field.
<a id="d1852e359">Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under the Bumper-to-Bumper coverage, use the following labor operation. Reference the Applicable Warranties section of Investigate Vehicle History (IVH) for coverage information.
Rear Acoustic Insulator Panel and Block Installation
*This is a unique Labor Operation for Bulletin use only.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
You are about to leave the website of General Motors and view the content of an external website. That website is not owned or controlled by, or affiliated with General Motors or its subsidiaries, and it is subject to its separate terms and conditions and other agreements, as well as its privacy policies. General Motors cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites.
© 2017 General Motors. All rights reserved.