TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
November 23, 2014, 01:18:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Option for Engine block heater on LS model  (Read 11452 times)
pilgi1

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »

With the weather here getting cold now, I recently looked into the option of getting a engine block heater installed.  when we were purchasing the EQ, the dealer indicated that the base LS model had so many options more than normal, nothing else was needed.  We did not even think that a vehile sold in Manitoba would not come with a block heater, or at the least, be able to install one after the fact. 

I found out today from the dealer that because of new technology, no block heater is needed.  Very strange.

Also, GM quoted $615.00 to install a block heater and an aftermarket heater is about $500 installed.   To move up to the LT modle to get a block heater is a lot to ask.   Seems GM are really cutting corners.  I am sure their will be more options out there soon.  just hope that the cold weather does not adversly afect the vehicle.

Has anyone asked about a block heater and what have you found out?
monaco

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »

In Canada all Equinox and Terrains come standard with a block heater. A nice feature on the block heaters is a thermostat that won,t cut in untill -18C.
Mobius

Gear Head

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 01:32:58 PM »

As Monaco said, it should have come with a block heater.

And as for the new technology bit, unless dealerships have started running 0W-30 in vehicles there really is no substitute for a block heater in the Canadian climate.

2010 Onyx Black GMC Terrain SLT
pilgi1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »

Actually block heater is not standard on the EQ.  the LS model does not have it.  LT and above do.  I really found it strange that the base model does not have it when the other 3 do.  And then, from GM $615 to install.... wow.
crinteastwood

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:55:58 PM »

Find a good parts store that carries the Temro line of products. The part number for the block heater for the 2.4 is 3400020. I had one of the techs at our store install it for me today and total time was about 20 minutes and that included removing the plenum and plastic engine cover, o2 sensor and manifold shield, bolting on the heater and reinstalling all components. Pricing on the part is around $60. at the high end. If you go to a GM dealer and buy and have it installed, you are going to get bent over - with my cost on the heater and buying lunch for my tech, my total cost is under a $100 by a long way.
Mick

Flatlands of Canada - 2010 Cardinal Red metallic 2.4 AWD
GMCdriver

2010 AWD Terrain SLE2 V6 - Blue w/Titanium

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 11:06:53 AM »

I'd check with Canadian Tire and see what options they have.
crinteastwood

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 08:23:27 PM »

I'd check with Canadian Tire and see what options they have.
Be carefull of "options" - the heater for any new GM vehicle must have the temp controlled plug on it so you arent putting heat to the block unless its below -18 Celcius - you will confuse the computer and get a code showing - use the proper part for this and not a heater for the rad hose etc. There is only one option (with two solutions) - either pay the dealer huge bucks, or go with the Temro - which is probably where GM buys it from anyways - and have an independant install it. Best of luck finding anyone knowlegable or helpfull at Canadian Junk - if you know what you are looking for and where to find it, you will have a fighting chance of walking out the door with a purchase - minimum wage doesnt get you the kind of help you need as a consumer with questions. I phoned there today to inquire about the bolt circle on some wheels they sell - was passed onto 3 different people, none who had a clue of their own product nor any offer to find out - outstanding customer service!
Sorry - rant off
Mick

Flatlands of Canada - 2010 Cardinal Red metallic 2.4 AWD
KAS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »

I would also like some information regarding an engine block heater.  I am devastated to learn that my 2012 Equinox does not have a block heater.  Based on research I have done if I proceed to have one added than I may run the risk of warranty issues.  I am really upset as I need to have a vehicle that I can depend on.  I live in Southern Alberta in that if it only was -18, I would not really care.  However, when it is -37 to -45 C. what will be the consequences to my vehicle?  Does anyone have some valuable suggestions for me? 
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »

I would also like some information regarding an engine block heater.  I am devastated to learn that my 2012 Equinox does not have a block heater.  Based on research I have done if I proceed to have one added than I may run the risk of warranty issues.  I am really upset as I need to have a vehicle that I can depend on.  I live in Southern Alberta in that if it only was -18, I would not really care.  However, when it is -37 to -45 C. what will be the consequences to my vehicle?  Does anyone have some valuable suggestions for me? 

Unfortunately I primarily specialize in working with customers in the US. I would recommend that you contact GM of Canada at 800-263-3777. The hours of operation are M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST. Please feel free to keep me posted or contact me with further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

POLRCUB II,,, Lovin' The '300 Club'

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »

Be carefull of "options" - the heater for any new GM vehicle must have the temp controlled plug on it so you arent putting heat to the block unless its below -18 Celcius - you will confuse the computer and get a code showing
Mick

No it will not, been cutting off the GM temp controlled plug on all 5 of our GM trucks and Terrains and never had a code thrown.

I'm absolutely shocked that the base model for the Nox doesn't come with a block heater,, wow, way to go Chevy.
All the Terrains come standard with block heaters.

Fricken things should be standard not an option for Canadian vehicles, must be a chevy engineer lol

POLRCUB,19"GM LF671's on 255's
Full load,SatNAV/Rear Ent.pkg./Lane assist/front cam collision/blind spot,
4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GM Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint, lowering spring kit
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 01:13:20 PM »

For starters, change up to a 0 weight oil (0W30) and fully synthetic, till you figure out what your gonna do, if anything.

For options - crinteastwood solution (reply #4) sounds the most promising, I'd go with that if I was in your predicament

4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GM Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint, lowering spring kit
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »

I found out today from the dealer that because of new technology, no block heater is needed.  Very strange.

That Dealer is a fool and should have his/her mouth sewn shut, they'll say anything to make a sale when in fact it was their fault as the Manager forgot to check off the little box for the block heater option for $100,, or simply they do that on all their base models and try and get you in for, well like you said, $615 to put one in. Morons.

Also, GM quoted $615.00 to install a block heater and an aftermarket heater is about $500 installed.   To move up to the LT modle to get a block heater is a lot to ask.   Seems GM are really cutting corners.  I am sure their will be more options out there soon.

MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
Default User

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »

Off topic here - but how do you use the block heater for a '12 Terrain?

Not something I ever needed to have or use, so I never really cared about it when they told me my 'Rain comes with it.

But now I'm curious to see how this works (especially since it would've cost me $600+ to add it if I owned a Nox)

Thanks
- Eric

POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 04:24:46 PM »

Off topic here - but how do you use the block heater for a '12 Terrain?
Not something I ever needed to have or use, so I never really cared about it when they told me my 'Rain comes with it.
But now I'm curious to see how this works (especially since it would've cost me $600+ to add it if I owned a Nox)

If you look down beside your air cleaner box you will find the black colored cord with a rubber cap on the end to protect the cord end (this is on the V6 model) I'd guess for the I4's its found in the similar region.

Just plug that end into an extention cord and take the other end to an electrified outlet. Done. 

MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
wtavcar

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »

YUP! spot-on. My 2010 I4 1LT has the plug between the air filter box and the frame, next to the passenger headlight. Have not had the chance to use it but it does have the -18C circuit. The GM factory remote start is real cool too. Used that a few times last winter. Heated seats would be nice but those are a fortune.

Strange that Hyundai put heated seats in mid-pack 2008 Elantre GL my wife has (that cost about half the price), but GM no. ESPECIALLY in Canada.  Sad

2010 Equinox 1LT FWD w/I4 2.4
spook

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »

KAS, I would probably go with the factory installation. I checked prices and while they are definitely more expensive than aftermarket you will have zero issues with the trouble code (Po116) issue that MAY be associated with aftermarket heaters. Any semi-competent mechanic should be able to install it.  Here are a couple of  links showing cost and installation (based on a 2011 model year) and the cost.

V-6 engine     
http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=836535&ukey_make=1086&ukey_model=15749&modelYear=2011&ukey_category=22611&ukey_driveLine=8653&searchString=heater

I-4 engine
http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=854413&ukey_product=5991925

spook

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 07:36:32 PM »

Now, about that trouble code. If you are running an aftermarket unit it will most probably be one that heats continiously irreguardless of outside temp. The code sets if the powertrain computer detects a certain large discrepancy between the Inlet Air Temp Sensor and the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor and code P0116 will pop up. Its kinda technical ( see repy #16    http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=8435.0)
Bottom line GM worked around the issue by installing a temp sensor in the AC line cord that keeps the heater from operating above 0 deg F (-18C). BUT if you are using and aftermarket heater (or decide to bypass the sensor by replacing the plug)AND the outside temp is LESS than 32 deg F you will PROBABLY not get a code.
If you install the factory unit I would leave the plug end out of the engine compartment after you connect it so it can get a free air temperature reading and not one biased by the big chunk of hot metal under the hood. Don't forget to properly store it beore driving.
Please note I am NOT an auto mechanic I merely like to research things, be helpful, and have a more than fleeting knowledge of electrical crap (thanks US Air Force!!!)  So you do whatever you are comfortable with. Have a great day!!
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 07:55:38 PM »

Bottom line GM worked around the issue by installing a temp sensor in the AC line cord that keeps the heater from operating above 0 deg F (-18C). BUT if you are using and aftermarket heater (or decide to bypass the sensor by replacing the plug)AND the outside temp is LESS than 32 deg F you will PROBABLY not get a code.

Plus 1,, I just didn't want to get as technical as it throws some people off, but never-the-less, to add a comment, as most of us wouldn't plug in over 32 deg F ( 0 deg C.) the code isn't an issue.

MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
spook

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 09:14:37 PM »

Polrcub,
I have a friend who uses his in the attached garage every night Nov thru Feb. Says he pays the bills and he wants his a*s warm from the gitgo. Me I start mine and immediately start driving. I drive slowly for the first 1/2 mile till I hit the main road. Illinois ain't that cold. Meh!
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »

Polrcub,
I have a friend who uses his in the attached garage every night Nov thru Feb. Says he pays the bills and he wants his a*s warm from the gitgo. Me I start mine and immediately start driving. I drive slowly for the first 1/2 mile till I hit the main road. Illinois ain't that cold. Meh!

He he too funny,,

As for me? Heated leather, mmm nice and comfy warm when I jump in.
Cheers thumbs up

MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: