TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
September 30, 2014, 08:49:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nitrogen In Tires  (Read 1985 times)
NightOwl

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2012, 10:19:44 PM »

I had the dealer put nitrogen in my tires, should the tire pressure be the same all the time? Mine have different psi  on each tire when they are cold and go up 1 or 2 psi after they heat up and then they're all the same psi. Is this normal?
hanmik01

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:13:47 PM »

Yep, it's normal. It's almost impossible to get the same pressure in each tire due to various factors and you would drive yourself crazy trying to accomplish this. Im not familiar with the detailed operation of the TPMS but I assume (I know  Cheesy) that there is a round-off factor from the sensor to the display. One tire might have 35.3 psi and another may be at 35.7 psi but on the display the readings will be 35psi and 36psi respectively. Now let's say that when hot, the tires psi goes up by .2 psi, now they both read 36 psi. Hopefully someone like Polrcub or Rit333 can correct me if I'm wrong but either way, it's normal.  thumbs up

Sarcasm is the brain's way of dealing with other people's stupidity.

2012 Terrain SLT1 V6 FWD
Carbon Flash Metallic
18" Chrome Clad Wheels
ColourTouch Nav
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 06:19:43 AM »

Tire pressures will grow by a pound or two depending on how hot the tires get. This is why they say to check them cold.

You can get them all the same with a good gauge and a adjustment or two. I do it all the time.

I have also noticed on some cars the front tires can gain more pressure. My HHR SS when driven hard in the cold weather will increase pressure in the front by one more pound since I use 16" steel wheels in the winter. The heat from the larger brakes heats the rim more and expands the pressure a little more.

As for Nitogen I skip it. If I were racing stock cars where a pound of pressure makes a difference I would use it but in my street cars it effects nothing. It is a nice profit center for a dealer.
hanmik01

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 06:54:49 AM »

I knew there was someone else on here I was forgetting ! Grin

The only reason I use nitrogen is because the tires came filled with the stuff, and I get it for free from work  wink, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Sarcasm is the brain's way of dealing with other people's stupidity.

2012 Terrain SLT1 V6 FWD
Carbon Flash Metallic
18" Chrome Clad Wheels
ColourTouch Nav
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »

I knew there was someone else on here I was forgetting ! Grin

The only reason I use nitrogen is because the tires came filled with the stuff, and I get it for free from work  wink, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Can't pass up free!  thumbs up
spook

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 08:06:12 PM »

I have been using custom nitrogen mix in my tires for years. The mix is 78% (approximate) Nitrogen along with some Oxygen (21%) and other trace gasses. I have never been dissapointed with the performance of this mix. (FYI) that is the make-up of air.

Seriously, the only people that benefit from having nitrogen in their tires are aircraft operators and racecar drivers for two reasons.

First, Nitrogen is (usually) almost completely dry and inert so aircraft tires and rims have no corrosion or rubber degradation. Plus they always have a nitrogen cart on hand to fill their suspension systems (struts) so it cuts down on equipment.

Secondly, both flying and racing requires fairly precise control of tire pressure. Aircraft tires go from below zero to over 150 Deg real fast when landing and taxiing. Race crews can precisely "tune" the tires for handling purposes.

So, if you think that adding 22% more Nitrogen to your tires is beneficial, have at it. I personally think it is a way to soak a few more $$$ from the public. In my opinion you would be better served by puying a good air pressure gage and using it .... or at least check the DIC once and a while.

POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

POLRCUB II,,, Lovin' The '300 Club'

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »

I concur,,

And to add, who's to say that when it comes to changing tires out, that the tire installer is going conduct the procedure (put the tire in vacumm) 100% perfectly every time, one little mistake and your back to your 'custom nitogen mix' lol
So what do you gain really lol

I give my Hubby a hard time sometimes; Like one time - as he's heading out to grab me some last minute grocery necessities.
I'll say " Heh! Take the GTR instead of the Sol!! It has Nitrogen filled tires, you can go 6.5 mph faster taking that corner into the mall parking lot"

Ha ha ha,,

And then at that point, he politely reminds me of the trips around the Nurburgring at speed and I quietly retract back to the kitchen lol   

POLRCUB,19"GM LF671's on 255's
Full load,SatNAV/Rear Ent.pkg./Lane assist/front cam collision/blind spot,
4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GM Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint, lowering spring kit
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
bowtieman
Global Moderator
Theta Freak

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 10:23:21 PM »

I agree as well, my Nox came with Nitrogen filled tires. Funny cause my dealership doesn't even have a fill up station and any time I took the Nox in,they wouldn't top my tires because of the green caps. So after I changed to black They don't even remember lol Only place around here that had it  is Costco.
My pressure used to stay pretty good with the nitro fill only had to top off once every 6months, but one road trip a few weeks ago  from 78degrees and 1000ft  to a cold 32degress at almost 7000feet in the north AZ mountains. Psi went from 33 down to 27psi and triggerd my tire sensor from going off. Forgot that the Nox had that feature pretty cool. On the trip I had to fill up with reg air which is fine. So that's when I changed to black caps and will prob just use ref free air.

Born 7/2011 Purchased this 2012 1LT I-4 on 9/25/11
Black Granite Metallic, Jet Black Interior
How to Video's on my install of:Chrome Handles, Chrome Roof Rails & Fog lights, Air filters. Located within General How To section
Drive with my hands not my feet !!
austin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »

I agree as well, my Nox came with Nitrogen filled tires. Funny cause my dealership doesn't even have a fill up station and any time I took the Nox in,they wouldn't top my tires because of the green caps. So after I changed to black They don't even remember lol Only place around here that had it  is Costco.
My pressure used to stay pretty good with the nitro fill only had to top off once every 6months, but one road trip a few weeks ago  from 78degrees and 1000ft  to a cold 32degress at almost 7000feet in the north AZ mountains. Psi went from 33 down to 27psi and triggerd my tire sensor from going off. Forgot that the Nox had that feature pretty cool. On the trip I had to fill up with reg air which is fine. So that's when I changed to black caps and will prob just use ref free air.

Funny, mine are all at 27 right now ( Shocked ) and I don't have the pressure warning light. Maybe it's just a big drop is a short span of time? Hmm...anyone know?

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.

Black 2012 FWD 3.0L V6 1LT
Drivers convenience package
Pioneer sound system
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: