TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
September 30, 2014, 11:10:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iPod duplicating songs when connected to Terrain  (Read 9577 times)
bohunk06

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »

I have a 2012 Terrain SLT1. I plug in my iPhone via USB to play songs. When I first got the vehicle about 8 months ago, it seemed fine. After a couple months, the songs show up on the touch screen all duplicated. Albums show correctly, names are correct, album art shows up... but within the album (all the albums) the songs are all duplicated. Another couple months after that, now they are all triplicated. It is really annoying because I have to listen to each song three times in a row or skip songs constantly. I have talked to Apple and brought it in to 2 different dealerships (Chevy and GMC). No one can figure out the problem or is admitting its their issue. Anybody experience this? Any sollutions to this annoying problem?? It seems like the vehicle stereo/computer software needs an update or fix. No, the songs aren't dublicated/triplicated on my phone or in iTunes (on my computer). This only shows up when I plug it in to the Terrain. Oddly, about 10% of the time, it will clear itself up after a few songs and start to play them correctly. Very odd... Very annoying. Can anyone help?? Thanks in advance!!!
kain2thebrain

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:57:52 AM »

This topic has been addressed in a previous thread. I have been to the dealership, talked to GM's infotainment customer service, and tried multiple resets of my iPod and the car settings. The Infotainment service rep is trying to find a dealer in my area that has the new diagnostic tool and set me up an appointment with them.

To give you an idea of how far I went with this, I completely wiped my ipod and my itunes of all songs, reloaded them and verified that the song information (ID3 tags) were up to date with the correct info. After going through this, the problem only got worse. Now the iPod won't even play in the car.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the radio keeps some song location/information data stored for each device connected through USB. When a device changes some of this information, the radio has a hard time dealing with it. I am happy (well, sorta) to see that this problem isn't just me and my iPod. I will keep updating on what information customer service gives me, and whether of not the new diagnostic tool works.
bohunk06

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:34:40 AM »

I read through a ton of threads last night to see if anyone had this particular problem. I saw a lot of issues with iPod connection. I don't remember seeing my specific problem though. But I do remember someone stating that they think the stereo/computer keeps data stored. That seems to make sense. Can you send me a link to your specific thread so I can follow it and see if you update any information. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!
kain2thebrain

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:44:20 AM »

Yeah, no problem, I'll do that tonight when I get home.

Before mine completely crapped on me, I was up to 5 copies of songs.
bohunk06

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »

Also... I read some posts that say they put music on USB flash drives and problem was solved. Can anyone confirm this? Do songs from iTunes copy and play correctly on a flash drive? Also, will I still be able to navigate through the music menus on the car stereo screen? Or does the USB flash drive just plug in and play? Thanks!
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »

Also... I read some posts that say they put music on USB flash drives and problem was solved. Can anyone confirm this? Do songs from iTunes copy and play correctly on a flash drive? Also, will I still be able to navigate through the music menus on the car stereo screen? Or does the USB flash drive just plug in and play? Thanks!

yes I can confirm it just copy the floders from the iTunes directory to the usb and be done with it.The songs must be in mp3 format though not aac (apples format) Album art works and all. Also I had iPod issues pulled the fuse for 5 min to reset the radio and it worked fine after that. I still get an occasional" reading usb" hang up but unplug it and put it back and it works. Obviously the software the radio uses is far from perfect.

2012 Mocha SLE2
  Chrome Enhancements package
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  AVS in channel Window Vents
  Tinted front windows
  Added BTV remote start function
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »

Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer?

Playing from a USB
A USB mass storage device or Microsoft Transfer Protocal (MTP) device can be connected to the USB port. The USB port is in the center console. The USB icon displays when the USB device is connected.

USB MP3 Player and USB Drives
. The USB MP3 players and USB drives connected must comply with the USB Mass Storage Class specification (USB MSC).
. Only USB MP3 players and USB drives with a sector size or 512 bytes and a cluster size smaller or equal to 32 kbytes in the FAT32 file system are
supported.
. Hard disk drives are not supported.
. The following restrictions apply for the data stored on a USB MP3 player or USB device:
‐ Maximum folder structure depth: 11 levels.
‐ Maximum number of MP3/WMA files that can be displayed: 1,000
. WMA with Digital Rights Management (DRM) from online music shops cannot be played. WMA files can only be played back safely if they were created with Windows Media Player version 8 or later.
‐ Applicable playlist extensions are: .m3u, .pls.
‐ Playlist entries must be in the form of relative paths.
‐ The system attribute for folders/files that contain audio data must not be set.

This can also be found on page 7-18 of your owners manual. Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
bohunk06

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »

Thanks to all for the help. I actually tried this on my lunch break and it was quick and easy and it worked. Although, I didn't get the album artwork (maybe someone can explain why). I can live without that as long as I can get everything to play right. I only copied a handful of albums. But they all showed up correctly and played correctly. Now I just need to buy a 16 or 32 gig flash that can hold all of my music and be good to go. Any thoughts or comments on a kind/brand that is good or specific for putting music on. Don't know if it makes a difference for sound quality.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

PS - Although this is an alternate solution to my problem, it is my opinion GMC still needs to research why there are so many issues connecting iPods.
bohunk06

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »

Tricia,

Yes, I have brought it to 2 different dealerships. Chevy dealership thought it was the USB port that was bad. Replaced it and made no difference. GMC dealership simply said nothing is wrong with the vehicle.
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 11:57:18 AM »

Thanks to all for the help. I actually tried this on my lunch break and it was quick and easy and it worked. Although, I didn't get the album artwork (maybe someone can explain why). I can live without that as long as I can get everything to play right. I only copied a handful of albums. But they all showed up correctly and played correctly. Now I just need to buy a 16 or 32 gig flash that can hold all of my music and be good to go. Any thoughts or comments on a kind/brand that is good or specific for putting music on. Don't know if it makes a difference for sound quality.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

PS - Although this is an alternate solution to my problem, it is my opinion GMC still needs to research why there are so many issues connecting iPods.

You have to make sure you click get album artwork in iTunes or in Media Monkey (free) I use that to create play lists too as the can be saved as m3u, just make sure you mount the usb drive in Media Monkey. Play with it you will get it. I still have a few that it doesn't show on but I know how to do it. Sometimes it will only save to track 1 you need to highlight all tracks. Get Media Monkey and learn to use it on usb and put the ipod away.

2012 Mocha SLE2
  Chrome Enhancements package
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  AVS in channel Window Vents
  Tinted front windows
  Added BTV remote start function
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
madterry

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the radio keeps some song location/information data stored for each device connected through USB. When a device changes some of this information, the radio has a hard time dealing with it. I am happy (well, sorta) to see that this problem isn't just me and my iPod. I will keep updating on what information customer service gives me, and whether of not the new diagnostic tool works.

That is correct. From the Intellilink manual pg.43:

Gracenote Indexing
While Gracenote is indexing,
infotainment features are available
including selecting music from the
menu. Voice recognition music will
not be available until the radio has
completed indexing the device.
Devices with more music may take
longer to index. The device will
index when plugged into the radio
for the first time. When "New Media
Device Ready" plays, the device is
ready for voice recognition music
search. On the next connection or
ignition cycle, "Indexing" will show
briefly on the screen. The radio is
searching for changes to the device
and preparing the music list. If
there are no changes, the voice
recognition music search will be
available. The radio will index
and store two devices with up to
10,000 songs on each device.

chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/owners/manuals/2012/2k12mylink.pdf
bohunk06

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 12:16:41 PM »

Thanks. I will mess around with it once I get the flash drive to put it all on. I have all the album art. It is in iTunes and shows up on the stereo screen when I use my iPod. But now that I copied the songs from the iTunes directory to the flash drive, the stereo screen just shows a little flash drive icon where the art usually shows up with the iPod. But like I said, that is the least of my worries. I will play around with it. I am just happy I don't have to listen to a song 3 or 4 times in a row. haha... Thanks!
kain2thebrain

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »

That is correct. From the Intellilink manual pg.43:

Gracenote Indexing
While Gracenote is indexing,
infotainment features are available
including selecting music from the
menu. Voice recognition music will
not be available until the radio has
completed indexing the device.
Devices with more music may take
longer to index. The device will
index when plugged into the radio
for the first time. When "New Media
Device Ready" plays, the device is
ready for voice recognition music
search. On the next connection or
ignition cycle, "Indexing" will show
briefly on the screen. The radio is
searching for changes to the device
and preparing the music list. If
there are no changes, the voice
recognition music search will be
available. The radio will index
and store two devices with up to
10,000 songs on each device.

chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/owners/manuals/2012/2k12mylink.pdf

Thanks,  but I don't have intellilink/mylink,  so gracenote isn't the issue. This is just on the colortouch radio.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
kain2thebrain

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 06:54:37 PM »

Thanks. I will mess around with it once I get the flash drive to put it all on. I have all the album art. It is in iTunes and shows up on the stereo screen when I use my iPod. But now that I copied the songs from the iTunes directory to the flash drive, the stereo screen just shows a little flash drive icon where the art usually shows up with the iPod. But like I said, that is the least of my worries. I will play around with it. I am just happy I don't have to listen to a song 3 or 4 times in a row. haha... Thanks!

Yeah, its nice having the alternative, but I was expecting being able to use my iPod. Hopefully the new diagnostic tool will show something. Or,  even better, GM could come out with a software update

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »

Tricia,

Yes, I have brought it to 2 different dealerships. Chevy dealership thought it was the USB port that was bad. Replaced it and made no difference. GMC dealership simply said nothing is wrong with the vehicle.

Please contact me privately with more details for more assistance. Be sure to include your contact information, last eight of your VIN, current mileage, and dealer name. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
Warchilde

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 08:19:34 AM »

There is indeed an indexing feature that saves limited info beween the PDIM and the radio for use with flash medix/ipods etc. Also note that there is a software anomally in the software that is corrected by reprogramming both the PDIM and radio software through SPS (done at your dealer) or in Canada by York Electronics. Depending where you are located, I can fix this for you. Otherwise a trip to the dealer is required with the info i have supplied here.
bohunk06

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 06:26:41 AM »

That makes sense... although, shouldn't the dealers know this? Apparently, they do not. And I shouldn't have to educate them on how to repair something. I have had it to a Chevy dealer and a GMC dealer. Both say there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. I have resorted to using a USB flash drive which I actually like better. It starts up the music faster, reacts faster to rewind/fast forward and skipping songs, and most importantly, doesn't duplicate my songs. Thanks for the feedback though!
Warchilde

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »

That makes sense... although, shouldn't the dealers know this? Apparently, they do not. And I shouldn't have to educate them on how to repair something. I have had it to a Chevy dealer and a GMC dealer. Both say there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. I have resorted to using a USB flash drive which I actually like better. It starts up the music faster, reacts faster to rewind/fast forward and skipping songs, and most importantly, doesn't duplicate my songs. Thanks for the feedback though!
Your dealer will most likely not know this unless they read every bulletin supplied by GM, due to the fact that all of their warranty radio/Onstar/XM/speaker and any other electronic repairs are subletted to companies like mine. (at least in Canada and most U.S. states they are)
JenKeyser

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 04:24:38 PM »

My 2012 Equinox is having the same issue.  I love the car but this is becoming increasingly frustrating.  My husband is taking it in for an oil change tomorrow and is going to ask the dealer.  But as I can see from reading the forum, asking the dealer is not much help.   facepalm  Any ideas anyone?
Dd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »

+1 for issues with a 2012 terrain and her ipod touch. I'm curious to hear solutions. When I drive it I plug in a flash drive with my music with no issue
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: