TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 22, 2014, 07:59:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First OIL change question. Dexos Blend v Synthetic  (Read 19438 times)
word_play

Black Widow

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:32:14 AM »

Hi guys,

I know there are a lot of of threads on this but I couldn't find my answer sifting through them.

Question:

I am going in for my first oil change, currently, I have ~3500 KM on the vehicle. (2012 Terrain SLE I4) I've read people using the dexos blend on the first oil change due to the "break in" of the engine and then going to full synthetic on their 2nd oil change and so on... is this "standpard practice" or can I go right into full synthetic on my first oil change with about 3500 KM on the car?

Thanks.

2012 GMC Terrain SLE Carbon Black
T-Rex Billet Grille, Continental Extremecontact DWS (245/55/18) 18 inch MIRO 111 Wheels, Chrome Door Handles & Mirrors, 30% Formula 1 Pinnacle Tint, Stubby Antenna
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:46:11 PM »

You can go synthic from day one if you want. The old break in deal on syntics is no longer true and no longer relelvent.

Dexos 1 is not a blend but a rating. It can be on syn or non syn oil as long as it meets GM's rating standard and that they paid the license fee.

Mobile One is Dexos approved by GM and is the most common Syn GM uses. Change it and use it now.

Others may agree or disagree but this is not my opinion but what is accpetd by the industry today.

Oil like many other things is something you need to keep up with as times are changing and what was once true may no longer apply in many cases.
JediSkipdogg

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:59:44 PM »

I would only use Dexos oil in it no matter what.  If that's what GM wants, as long as it's under warranty that's all I'd use.  They can tell oil ratings pretty easily if they want to deny a large claim or simply ask for proof of what was put in it.

Merlot Jewel 2012 GMC Terrain
FWD SLE-2 2.4L
IceMan
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »

Mobile 1 syn 'came in' my '92 & '93 Vette...and '07 Solstice GXP from the factory.

IceMan

2011 Equinox LTZ 2.4L FWD
Silver Ice Metallic/Jet Blk lthr
17" wheels
Premium Sound System
 Built 1st week in Aug..arrived Aug 23,2010
word_play

Black Widow

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »

You can go synthic from day one if you want. The old break in deal on syntics is no longer true and no longer relelvent.

Dexos 1 is not a blend but a rating. It can be on syn or non syn oil as long as it meets GM's rating standard and that they paid the license fee.

Mobile One is Dexos approved by GM and is the most common Syn GM uses. Change it and use it now.

Others may agree or disagree but this is not my opinion but what is accpetd by the industry today.

Oil like many other things is something you need to keep up with as times are changing and what was once true may no longer apply in many cases.

Thanks for the info. I'll be switching to full synthetic when I go in for an oil change on wednesday.

T-Rex Billet Grille, Continental Extremecontact DWS (245/55/18) 18 inch MIRO 111 Wheels, Chrome Door Handles & Mirrors, 30% Formula 1 Pinnacle Tint, Stubby Antenna
flip_high_up

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »

man i put royal purple in my terrain and it felt like a different car it was worth the money i think
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:08:02 AM »

Sorry there is no feel difference oil.

Royal Purple is a good oild I have used it and we sell it at work. But note it is not rated for many GM applications. It may not hurt anything but if you are under warranty and do have an engine issue it could be a problem. Just something to think about.

As of now it is also not DEXOS approved.
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 05:16:46 AM »

Sorry there is no feel difference oil.

Funny how many people think they think a car feels different after an oil change !  Must be they were running on NO OIL, before the change !

drunk

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
darkside

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:19:40 AM »

Funny how many people think they think a car feels different after an oil change !  Must be they were running on NO OIL, before the change !

drunk
It is just like when someone puts on a loud muffler. They think that they have more power.

Come to the darkside We have cookies!
13 Terrain 3.6L v6 awd  red
RNOX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »

I just used a full syn (Castrol Edge) for my oil change (Was part of a $15.99 oil/ Bosch filter speacial at Advance a few months ago).  It is not licensed dexos (Does not carry the seal) but it says meets Dexos1 requirements. I used a Valvoline syn blend prior and it stated it meet dexos1 requirements on 4 of the 5 bottles (no seal).  The 2010's do not mention Dexos only spec 6094. I talked to my mechanic the tech bullentin says you can use a non-dexos oil if dexos oil is unavailable.  That statement in an owners manual (if it's there) could be used if you have a dispute with GM.  They use a syn blend as their standard oil change. I'm using a syn or syn blend oil for my oil changes.

PS  I put the oil filter (PureOne) in the top of the cap before securing and the pleets did deform about the same as the prior oil change where i put the filter in the engine directly.
dwendt44

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »

Any synthetic will meet or exceed the Dexos 1 specs. That's all that's required. The 'Dexos approved' is a license from GM to use the 'official' endorsement on the label. It's a profit making venture for GM. If the oil meets the Dexos specs., that's good enough; warrantee still covers the vehicle.

SLT1 Merlot/black. v-6. FWD.

Dee Zee running boards.
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 09:53:47 AM »

Any synthetic will meet or exceed the Dexos 1 specs.

I would not bet on that.  Unless it says that it meets or exceeds Dexos specs, then you could lose your argument with an engine warranty claim.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
dwendt44

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 01:47:44 PM »

As far as I know, even the cheapest synthetic from Wal-mart or several  auto parts stores house brand meets the Dexos specs.

Dexos is satisfied or met with a strong 'blend', about 40% synthetic, so a full synthetic should certainly do the trick.

Of course, I'd only use a brand name synthetic oil in any case, but that's just me.

SLT1 Merlot/black. v-6. FWD.

Dee Zee running boards.
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »

Look for the seal and you will know it is warranty safe.

Never say all as there are no absolutes.
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 04:55:18 PM »

Look for the seal and you will know it is warranty safe.

Never say all as there are no absolutes.

+1

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
word_play

Black Widow

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 05:51:12 AM »

Went to the dealer this morning, they put in Quaker State Q Horse Power full synthetic ...one thing is for certain, synthetic is pricey... $117.57 (cdn) including tax.

Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 06:09:21 AM »

...one thing is for certain, synthetic is pricey... $117.57 (cdn) including tax.

Yes, sort of, but I believe that it is your dealer that is pricey !

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
darkside

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 08:53:05 AM »

Pricey oil change
I pick up 5.5L of mobile 1 for $36 cdn and filter for $10

Come to the darkside We have cookies!
13 Terrain 3.6L v6 awd  red
JediSkipdogg

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 03:37:39 AM »

I had my first oil change yesterday and the service tech freaked out when he saw I went to 7600 miles for a first change.  Heck, he should be surprised he got that because my OLM still had 37% left.  He was stuck on the whole 3000 miles thing and seemed to want to try to justify it and that the OLM wasn't very useful.

Oh well, I'll be going back in 10,000 miles now.   Grin

Merlot Jewel 2012 GMC Terrain
FWD SLE-2 2.4L
RNOX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 07:58:20 AM »

If you live in the US Advance Auto has some good oil deals.  In most cases about $30 for full syn and a good filter.  SOmetimes the prices are lower and rebates.  I recently got 5 quarts of Quaker State Full syn for Free after rebate.  One special was for Castrom Full syn and a Bosch Premium filter for $15.99 after a $15 rebate.  I did get both checks in the mail after 4 weeks.

The 2.4 is an easy oil change.  I'm afraid of the dealers as 1 time I had my Saturn with an EcoTech engine and I let the dealer do the oil change for the winter.  When I did the next change an STP filter was in the cap  (I used an STP filter prior to the winter change).  Called the dealer and told them.  His answer "It happens more often than you would think".  They did offer a free oil change .. No thanks.  The don't change the filter sometimes to cut time.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: