TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 31, 2014, 05:52:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mouse nest on in-cabin air filter  (Read 8037 times)
Earl

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2012, 06:13:25 PM »

Brand new 2012 LTZ...funky smell coming from the HVAC.  Checked the main air filter, and it was fine.  Checked in the in-cabin air filter, and it looks like a nest was being built in there by something...presumably mice.  Anyone else have this issue?  I mean, I have less than 3500 miles on it, and a mouse manages to get all the way to the cabin filter?  I'm going to make an appointment with the dealer, but I certainly hope they can do something about it.... if not, I have no desire to have a vehicle that is so prone to infestation by rodents!  Good gravy.  I never had this happen with my truck...
bowtieman
Global Moderator
Theta Freak

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »

Wow this is prob the strangest topic I have seen since joining the forum lol.
Sucks that you have a rodent problem, rare but those little suckers are smart and want to nest in a warm area and vehicles are perfect.  What part of the US are you in? Or you in Canada?
Any pics of the nest ?

Born 7/2011 Purchased this 2012 1LT I-4 on 9/25/11
Black Granite Metallic, Jet Black Interior
How to Video's on my install of:Chrome Handles, Chrome Roof Rails & Fog lights, Air filters. Located within General How To section
Drive with my hands not my feet !!
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:59:18 AM »

There is not a car made that can not have a rodent issue.

I have pullled them out of many cars in many locations in all models of cars.

Set a trap in the garage and get over it.

Odds are you might want to set some traps in your house as if they got in to you car you may also have on in the attic too.
Earl

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 04:19:12 AM »

While many people may have rodent issues in many different cars, I haven't had any until I got this vehicle...and to have it happen in the spring, with under 3500 miles on it, seems like there is a design flaw (no covers over fresh air intakes) or something like that...  by the way, there are plenty of cats around - and, I don't see mice in or around the house at all (not that they aren't there, there just aren't so many around that it's common to see them).
2010Nox

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:29:58 AM »

I had a squirrel build a nest in the ventilation system of our 1999 Trans sport in less than two days when we were at a campground. Never had it before and never had it again. We had to take the fan out to remove all the grass and leaves.

Then I had a mouse hitch a ride on the intake manifold of my car from my buddies farm to our house and then promptly try living in the garage and then try getting into the house. It had made a small nest on the the intake manifold runners within 4 hrs. I almost couldn't believe it was possible until the evidence and facts proved it.

My point is that like hyperv6 said it can happen anywhere at any time to any car. So don't panic. Just have the nest removed and take a few precautions to try and prevent it from happening again. Rodents are opportunists and the fact that your 2012 Equinox has only 3500 miles on it is irrelevant to the rodent. It's just the wrong place at the wrong time. All cars have open intakes for cabin air before they hit the filters.

2010 Equinox 1LT FWD 2.4L
Cyber Gray Metallic - Jet Black/Titanium interior
Pioneer sound system
Bluetooth VIP (Remote start, etc.)
Cargo cover
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 05:09:23 AM »

Brand new 2012 LTZ...funky smell coming from the HVAC.  Checked the main air filter, and it was fine.  Checked in the in-cabin air filter, and it looks like a nest was being built in there by something...presumably mice.  Anyone else have this issue?  I mean, I have less than 3500 miles on it, and a mouse manages to get all the way to the cabin filter?  I'm going to make an appointment with the dealer, but I certainly hope they can do something about it.... if not, I have no desire to have a vehicle that is so prone to infestation by rodents!  Good gravy.  I never had this happen with my truck...

Sounds like a Lemon Law to me !!!  LOL

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
RNOX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 05:37:32 AM »

I have a 2000 Saturn LS1.  Never had a problem with Rodents until this winter.  I noticed near my battery seed that must have came from my bird feeder.  Looks like a mouse was camping out there.  We also had our kitchen redone and a mouse was (Did not see it) bedding down in the insulation on top of the dishwasher.  We did trap one small mouse a couple of months ago. 

I won't lose sleep over this and could happen to any vehicle.

darkside

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »

Looks like the filter did its job. Grin
They can now advertise it for more than dirt.

Come to the darkside We have cookies!
13 Terrain 3.6L v6 awd  red
bowtieman
Global Moderator
Theta Freak

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 11:42:27 AM »

Lol just was playing around on google found a few things people have to do if to try and keep mice out of there rides. Geez yea I would just trap the little suckers instead, but guess sometimes you have to go to extremes to keep em out.

I had a buddy get his truck infested with scorpions out here in AZ, because he had them in the garage as well. It was a nightmare indeed. Hate those things, I'd rather have rodents any day lol

Born 7/2011 Purchased this 2012 1LT I-4 on 9/25/11
Black Granite Metallic, Jet Black Interior
How to Video's on my install of:Chrome Handles, Chrome Roof Rails & Fog lights, Air filters. Located within General How To section
Drive with my hands not my feet !!
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 01:12:03 PM »

Please keep me posted on your progress with the dealer. Feel free to contact me privately if you need more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »

There is no flaw here and if that was the case every car out there has the same flaw.

Many cars today are also being attacted by ground hogs and other varmits chewing wires too. My buddy had ground hogs attack his Ford truck and Grand Am.

In all the years I have worked on cars I have found mice, squirls, bee's, chipmonks, cats and many other animals not only under the hood but in the heating and cooling systems. The fact is these system have to be connected to the outside for ventilation and most rodents can queeze into spaces only 20% their size. Often they can get there looking for food or just a place to nest no matter what time of year.

Chalk it up to bad luck set some traps and learn you are not ammune to nature.

Odds are if this vehicle was in a garage connected to the house you also have them in a cawl space or attic too.

If most people knew what else shared space in their homes they would be freaked out. Depending on what part of the country it could be dangerous too.

I hear people say well I keep a clean house and that may be true but animals are always trying to get in and where they can breach a house will shock you.

Never underestimate mother nature.
NoobNox
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »

In Texas, snakes can be a problem. When I was a kid my sister worked at a mall....I went with my mom to pick her up and the parking lot had a couple fire trucks/ambulances, and when I asked my sister she said that "a lady got bit by a rattlesnake that traveled almost 200 miles underneath her truck from west Texas" Shocked

2010 Equinox 2LT Silver Ice metallic, 2.4 I4, 2WD, Titanium leather
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »

In Texas, snakes can be a problem. When I was a kid my sister worked at a mall....I went with my mom to pick her up and the parking lot had a couple fire trucks/ambulances, and when I asked my sister she said that "a lady got bit by a rattlesnake that traveled almost 200 miles underneath her truck from west Texas" Shocked

I have seen that on the web a few times. It does get to be a little dangerous with some of the animals.

On the farm we used to have to open the hood when it was cold to chase the cats out. If you missed it you really would have a mess under the hood.
Earl

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »

4 vehicles at my house....none have mice in them.  I have this vehicle for less than 2 months and there's an animal behind the glovebox?  You can say that it's unavoidable, but some designs are better than others....you can have screens that keep animals out.  If they just got under the hood, that's not that big a deal... but for a new vehicle to have one behind the glovebox, seems like the opening is way too easy access for critters.  And for all the naysayers, sure, animals can chew through screens....but, having one IS a deterrent and can go a long way towards preventing infestation.  Hopefully, the dealer can at least clean things out and check for damage or missing/defective screens and baffles... and, if it's a one time thing, no big deal.  But, if it keeps happening to the Equinox and not to any of the other vehicles, it tells me it is a design issue.  Don't need my Shainin Red-X problem solving certificate for that one.
hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 04:10:01 AM »

4 vehicles at my house....none have mice in them.  I have this vehicle for less than 2 months and there's an animal behind the glovebox?  You can say that it's unavoidable, but some designs are better than others....you can have screens that keep animals out.  If they just got under the hood, that's not that big a deal... but for a new vehicle to have one behind the glovebox, seems like the opening is way too easy access for critters.  And for all the naysayers, sure, animals can chew through screens....but, having one IS a deterrent and can go a long way towards preventing infestation.  Hopefully, the dealer can at least clean things out and check for damage or missing/defective screens and baffles... and, if it's a one time thing, no big deal.  But, if it keeps happening to the Equinox and not to any of the other vehicles, it tells me it is a design issue.  Don't need my Shainin Red-X problem solving certificate for that one.

Well you just better go out and sell it as soon as you can if you are this upset. You also might want to add this to the thread here where all the people with Nox and Terrains post with rodent issues.  LOL!

You need to relax as there is not a car out there that a mouse could not get into. It is just one of those things that happen once in a great while and you card just came up. The risk of a mouse is just as great in any of the cars in your drive or garage.

I know it can be a disturbing thing here but it is just one of those things that could happen and the key is to clean it out and move on as I feel it is safe to say unless you have some odd rodent issue this will not repeat again. In all the cars I worked on and all the nest I cleaned out for people  I never had a repeat issue.

I still would set some traps around the house or buy a cat. You may have more else where you just don't see. Those are the ones I would worry about. Odds are just as great they would crawl into one of the other cars as they are no more sealed shut than the Nox.

2010Nox

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 04:45:37 AM »

Take it as a compliment. The mouse has good taste in vehicles. I too would rather stay in a brand new, clean and attractive hotel whenever I can! Grin

I would take having a rodent in a place like my vehicle's ventilation system any day over it being in the house. In the vehicle you can contain it and eliminate it. In the house it can and will be everywhere, and that's hard to take care of.

My trick to repel rodents is that the dog stays in the garage attached to the house during the day and there is nothing along the walls at floor level for them to hide in as they move around. Also my far back shed has all the places rodents and rabbits adore so they tend to stay there away from the house.

It seems to have helped over the years.

Pioneer sound system
Cargo cover
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 05:43:33 AM »

PLASTI-DIP SHOULD SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. Paint entire front end of vehicle in this stuff and no one will want to live in it.. JMO

Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 06:00:26 AM »

PLASTI-DIP SHOULD SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. Paint entire front end of vehicle in this stuff and no one will want to live in it.. JMO

I would think that just putting it on the outside, anyplace, would be enough to discourage mice from wanting to live there.  Or, wait for a sunny day, and the sunlight reflected off of your chrome will blind the mice enough that they won't be able to find the car !

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »

I would think that just putting it on the outside, anyplace, would be enough to discourage mice from wanting to live there.  Or, wait for a sunny day, and the sunlight reflected off of your chrome will blind the mice enough that they won't be able to find the car !

PROBLEM SOLVED  Guess that's why I don't have a mouse problem all that cheap aftermarket phoney chrome

fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 10:10:51 AM »

Attention: All GM dealers in the US, Canada, Disneyland,Disneyworld, The Moon and Kentucky:
    It has come to our attention that in the process of testing our vehicle, either an employee brought his/her pet mouse to work for show and tell, or one of our lab mice has gotten lose and hitched a ride in one of our vehicles. We believe that it is a female mouse and it may attract male mice into the vehicle. If a customer complains of mice shacking up in their cabin filter area and said dealer finds a female mouse in said area please return said mouse overnight shipping to GM Canada. No other action is required.

Earl

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 08:02:45 AM »

an update - dealer removed the nest, air filter was soaked in "rodent urine"...a new air filter put in, and a "Vent service" done (which amounts to a bottle of Castle "Fresh Air" disinfectant sprayed in the duct and added to the windshield wiper fluid reservoir) and charged somewhere around $60.  Drove the vehicle home, smelling the very strong perfumy stuff mixed with nasty smell....

Next day, I decided to look around a bit - since it didn't seem any better.  I removed the in-cabin air filter and noticed it was still somewhat wet in the duct, so I got a rag and started drying the duct....I reached down toward the blower motor to dry some of the nooks and crannys and ended up pulling out a dead mouse (about the size of my thumb, so I'm thinking it was a youngster).   

Called the dealer and told them they must not have looked very hard...and, I'm sure there are more dead mice in there that I can't get to easily, because the smell is still there a few days later.  It's back in the shop today, so we'll see where it goes.

And, for all the comedians, you wouldn't be very happy driving around your brand new car that reaks like rotting rodents...and I still believe, that with 4 vehicles and 16 years in the same house, to have mice in the brand new vehicle, the probability that it was just chance is remote...this vehicle must have much easier access to the clean air intake than other vehicles.
2010Nox

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »

I'm still going to say that it was "the wrong place at the wrong time" & it just happened to be coincidence.

Rodents, especially mice are opportunists and your new Equinox was irresistible to this mouse. wink

Like I said in my previous post about the squirrel that made a nest in our van's vent system while we were at a campsite for only a couple of days. Why was it our van when there was other vehicles around, why was it then & why in such a short time at exactly that time. And it never happened again.

Pioneer sound system
Cargo cover
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »

an update - dealer removed the nest, air filter was soaked in "rodent urine"...a new air filter put in, and a "Vent service" done (which amounts to a bottle of Castle "Fresh Air" disinfectant sprayed in the duct and added to the windshield wiper fluid reservoir) and charged somewhere around $60.  Drove the vehicle home, smelling the very strong perfumy stuff mixed with nasty smell....

Next day, I decided to look around a bit - since it didn't seem any better.  I removed the in-cabin air filter and noticed it was still somewhat wet in the duct, so I got a rag and started drying the duct....I reached down toward the blower motor to dry some of the nooks and crannys and ended up pulling out a dead mouse (about the size of my thumb, so I'm thinking it was a youngster).   

Called the dealer and told them they must not have looked very hard...and, I'm sure there are more dead mice in there that I can't get to easily, because the smell is still there a few days later.  It's back in the shop today, so we'll see where it goes.

And, for all the comedians, you wouldn't be very happy driving around your brand new car that reaks like rotting rodents...and I still believe, that with 4 vehicles and 16 years in the same house, to have mice in the brand new vehicle, the probability that it was just chance is remote...this vehicle must have much easier access to the clean air intake than other vehicles.
....I reached down toward the blower motor to dry some of the nooks and crannys and ended up pulling out a dead mouse (about the size of my thumb, so I'm thinking it was a youngster).    You found baby Minnie

fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »

Let's hope you don't ever run into a skunk on the road, You'll be blaming GM for low road clearence. Having the dealer jack up your vehicle so it never happens again.
This stuff happens is not GM"S fault you got a mouse

hyperv6
Theta Freak

hyperv6 hyperv6

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 02:09:41 PM »

Hmmm I smell a rat err mouse!  ....sorry that was to easy.

All you learned is mice can get into anything and that you had a lousy tech work on your car. This was something that you should have just taken care of yourself as it was not anything beyond most people with simple mechanical skills. I would be more troubled by the missed mouse after $60 vs the smell.

Now that it is fixed the odds of it happening agin to this vehicle are slim to none.

If you have cleaned out as many  nest as I have  over the years you would realize no car new or old reguardless of make out there is imune to rodents. I am not kidding when I say I would set some traps around the garage or house as the house is much easier to get into than the Nox. Odds are if there are more they will come inside at some point and next fall may be an issue.

The smell will go and you will get back to normal soon enough. Save the grief for a real issue later on.  When I got run off the road in my 700 mile new HHR and had $7.000 of damage I was not happy but it got fixed and today you would never know there was ever an issue. I was alive the car could be fixed and getting all worked up would not have solved a thing. $hit Happens an you deal with it.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: