TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
December 22, 2014, 02:58:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2005 EQUINOX FRONT END RATTLING  (Read 5948 times)
santis5

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »

I found the fix but am waiting to post it. Well at least for the rattling sound in the front suspension anyway. It seems GM has some "concerned individuals" on this and other sites that refuse to share info that may have been helpful to the mechanics who look for solutions here on these sites. Since they have allowed millions of repair dollars to go wasted by dealerships playing swaptronics with parts changes that fixed nothing, I will wait and see how they would like to compensate my troubleshooting knowledge. So with that said, GM.........how much is it worth to you??

United States Air Force Aircraft Mechanic 32 years, ASE Certified Mechanic 15 Years.
jackiek

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »

Not another posting? How many is this? If you have a possible fix, then post it stop playing games. We're here to help each other. Not play BS games.

2012 1LT Equinox
Purchased 1/25/12
Remote Start
8 position power driver seat
Gold Mist Metallic
NODES

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 01:24:21 PM »

SCAM
wrusprod
Theta Freak

2012 V6- AWD Terrain

wrusprod wrusprod

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:23:36 PM »

What is an 'Equinix'?? Bang Head shrug

We're trying to get an accurate count of people with or without engine startup noise. Please go here and vote. Your vote is private and will not be traced to you.
http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=3068.0

2012 GMC Terrain V6 AWD- SLE2, convenience package/18" wheels
santis5

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:58:30 AM »

PM me for the fix, wasnt trying to piss you all off. I was pissed that GM wasnt willing to answer my questions the other day. None of you knew what I was private messaging in trying to get the fix for this problem. Damn, you guys are tough! Thats why I normally just read on these sites and never actually join or post!

United States Air Force Aircraft Mechanic 32 years, ASE Certified Mechanic 15 Years.
santis5

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:07 AM »

The hell with it, here you all go.............hope it helps some of you!

It is highly recommended you bring your vehicle to an authorized dealer to perform these repairs in a safe environment with proper safety equipment to avoid personal injury. I by no means claim that this will fix everyone’s problems with the front end rattles but I have fixed mine in my driveway and didn't spend a dime! You assume all risk and responsibility in attempting these repairs.

The intermediate steering shaft appears to be causing the rattling in the front end. Seems that GM didn't give much room for the shaft to move with the vehicle as the suspension travels.

Under the steering wheel/column area there is a black panel. Remove the 2 screws and 1 nut to remove the panel. Next locate the steering flex joint that attaches to the steering column. There is a pinch bolt that attaches the intermediate shafts flex joint to the steering column. Loosen, but do not remove the pinch bolt until you can freely move the flex joint up (closer to) the steering wheel/column. You won't get much movement at all because the shaft has a machine groove in it where pinch bolt goes, but you will get some. The tricky part is to hold the flex shaft while you retighten the pinch bolt so it does not side back down to where it was.

Now before putting the panel back on, take a test drive. If the rattles are gone you are done (that is after you get back home and put that panel back on). If you still have some rattles you'll need to dig a bit deeper. Jack up and support the vehicle in a safe manner to gain access to the steering gear area where the lower intermediate shaft meets the steering gear.

Note: it is important to place a suitable block of wood or ramp under the driver’s side wheel/tire that will allow you to return the weight of the vehicle back on the wheels as full suspension travel must be avoided in order to gain the free movement of the intermediate steering shaft when the vehicle is on the ground during its normal operation/driving.

Locate the pinch bolt on the flex joint and loosen but do not remove it. When you get free movement, slide the flex joint a hair closer to the steering gear and retighten the pinch bolt. Jack the vehicle back up to remove the block from under the drivers side wheel and lower the vehicle back on the ground. Test drive. Rattles should now be all gone.

The intermediate shaft appears to be making the rattling due to loose tolerances within the steering column and the steering gear itself as well as tight tolerance within the intermediate shaft. As you drive over bumps the intermediate shaft is apparently bottoming out and ever so slightly between the steering column and steering gear causing what sounds to be a host of other suspension items causing the rattling. GM has a free play adjustment (interference fit) that can also be performed on the steering gear but that requires its removal.

NODES

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »

Thanks  thumbs up
Mochaman

Mochaman Mochaman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »

so sad That is a common problem on a lot of different GM cars as well as others too it is no secret. The G6 had a lot of popping and noise issues with the same part.

2012 Mocha SLE2
  Chrome Enhancements package
    Grille
    Door Handles
    Wheel Skins
    Center Hub Caps
    Mirror Covers
  AVS in channel Window Vents
  Tinted front windows
  Added BTV remote start function
1998 Pewter C5 Corvette
NODES

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 10:03:31 PM »

so sad That is a common problem on a lot of different GM cars as well as others too it is no secret. The G6 had a lot of popping and noise issues with the same part.

My Nissan Versa had a similar issue.

Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 04:52:57 AM »

santis

Since you gave away your secret, I guess you will ha ve to win the lottery in order to secure your pot of gold.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
santis5

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 04:54:08 AM »

Yes I will! LOL

NODES

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »

Yes I will! LOL

We are all rooting for you  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: