TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
August 29, 2014, 09:26:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY How to Install Fog lights on 2010-2012 Chevy Equinox with video  (Read 38080 times)
BGM10

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 06:13:55 AM »

Awesome tutorial thumbs up, I am your fan! very nicely done, clear all caveats noted and thorough, can you ask for more?
--now if you can do the door leds....... Grin
byeuboy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »

Here are those final photos I promised. The next 10 photos show the electrical connections and the final "button up" of the wiring. Hope these help all you fella NOX owners who want to tackle fog light installation. Any questions you might have, please ask. And remember, as always, "Go fast, turn left, drive like nobody's watching" Petty 3:16.

2011 Equinox Summit White 1LT
FWD, Sunroof, Convienience package.
Weathertech cargo mat, cargo net, OEM fogs.
byeuboy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 07:22:16 AM »

Wrapping up the connections.

byeuboy

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 07:23:30 AM »

And 2 more of the functions. Any questions just ask.

bowtieman
Global Moderator
Theta Freak

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »

The wireing harness was actually from a Saturn Sky fog light set.

Thank you again for the pictures and info. This should guide others.  For the fog light harness, did you get off ebay or something or junk yard. What was the cost?   Just trying to get a list all parts that you used so this can help others, thanks.

Born 7/2011 Purchased this 2012 1LT I-4 on 9/25/11
Black Granite Metallic, Jet Black Interior
How to Video's on my install of:Chrome Handles, Chrome Roof Rails & Fog lights, Air filters. Located within General How To section
Drive with my hands not my feet !!
byeuboy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 11:59:30 AM »

Hi Bowtieman. Yes, I bought the wireing harness off of e-bay. Here is a current listing of a fog light set with wiring he has for sale. http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08-CHEVY-COLORADO-EXTREME-FOG-LIGHTS-OEM-PAIR-/310387075645?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item484482ea3d&vxp=mtr  just copy and paste into your browser. He also sells wiring harness only. I paid around $25 for the harness only. I have learned that GM uses the same fog lights for Colorado trucks, Malibus, Saturn Sky's, Pontiac Solstice and many other GM products, so the listing for a truck might fit the Equinox. Usually a good seller will list the vehicles the parts fit. Good luck on your endevor of wiring your Equinox fog lights. Anything I can help with, just post it. Thanks to all who find my photos helpful.

jccampbell

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »

I really like your instructions on the installation of the wire harness,just a quick question,where did you get the on and off switch for the fog lights?
I have seen all the parts listed but not that.

Thanks
jcarm75

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 03:12:05 AM »

The on off switch is referred to as a bug or micro push button switch. They sell for 7-25 online.
T
13silvernox

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »

Great tutorial but for $38 bucks you can get some chrome trim and slap it on the LS faceplates that you replace with your fog lights. I would post a link but apparently I'm not allowed yet.
bowtieman
Global Moderator
Theta Freak

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »

Great tutorial but for $38 bucks you can get some chrome trim and slap it on the LS faceplates that you replace with your fog lights. I would post a link but apparently I'm not allowed yet.

I assume your speaking of these chrome stickers. I have seen them In person on a Nox. They do not look good at all in my humble opinion. They look cheap like a bumper sticker.  Especially when they start getting bugs, chips and road marks. To me save the extra $ and buy the inserts. You can just get the inserts and don't have to put in fog lights or if u do you don't have to connect them. I just did mine for the look and have never had the need to turn my on or hook them up. If I do I will get HID bulbs to get better light.

How to Video's on my install of:Chrome Handles, Chrome Roof Rails & Fog lights, Air filters. Located within General How To section
davcont

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »

Has anyone used the taillights to turn them on and bright lights to turn them off?
FloydT3

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »

Hello Everyone,

Just stumbled across this forum and will be installing a set of driving lights on my 2012 Equinox. I am compiling a parts list but would like some input as to the completeness and accuracy.

Front Bumper Fog Light Hole Insert  -  Pair  -  $93.32  -  Carid dot Com

Equinox 06 Malibu Maxx Impala Glass Die-cast METAL Fog Light Lamp RL H Pair NEW  -  $59.50  -  eBay Item 151053944540

Chevy Buick Pontiac Saturn Fog Light Wiring Harness  -  $74.60  -  eBay Item 150506104013

Pair of Super White 120 LEDs 3825 SMD H11 LED Car Fog / Head Lights 12V MA111  -  $8.99 + $2.99 S/H  -  eBay Item 400458785195

Total Cost  =  $239.40

I went to my dealer a while ago and was told that it couldn't be done. I guess they just don't want to do it. Glad I found your forum. I'll be ordering all of my stuff within the next couple of weeks, so any input would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to have Load Resistors to prevent errors so that I can use LED's Huh? I'm trying not to put too much more stress on the original wiring harness. From what I've read, there are different spec harnesses. Some that are specifically for vehicles with and or without driving lights. I am hoping that using LED's, reducing the wattage from 55 X 2 down to 7.5 X 2 won't harm the factory wiring at all.

Thanks
Floyd

FloydT3@Hotmail.Com
trbstang

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »

I would check around on some of the online gm parts places for the chrome  trim piece. Before we went with the LTZ I was planning the same thing and found the trim pieces for about $28 or so each plus $9 s&h

Thomas
87 Mustang 5.0 LX - 306,000 mile former daily driver
2010 Vibe GT - current daily driver
2006 Vibe - son's car
2013 Equinox LTZ FWD I-4 - wife's daily driver
Ralphalph

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 07:07:41 AM »

I think I might have to at these to my 1LT. Thanks for posting and creating the video.

2012 Equinox 2.4L 1LT AWD
KickBackNox

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2013, 12:25:15 PM »

thumbs up bowtieman,  thanks for the tutorial and video. 

I bought and installed the bezels and light housings for under $160 to do the mechanical install on my 2 month old, 2013 Atlantis Blue 'Nox 2LT.  Cool They are a great "visual" upgrade for the front of the 'Nox. 

Over the next month or so, I will be considering how I will do the electrical on these.  I like the idea of using a factory wire harness and switch/stalk, but all together, it will be a bit pricey. 

Undecided Because I won't need the fog lights on in the daytime, I won't be going with the "continuous on" setup because of the full-time load on the electrical system. 

Evil I am considering a setup that will leave them off until the high-beam is used, or flashed on/off.  If I want them off, I could then turn the headlights off, and then back on to auto.  I think all of this could be done inside the engine compartment with an appropriate latching relay.

Has anyone done this type of setup?

2013 'Nox 1LT in Atlantis Blue
Std:  MyLink / 8 Way Driver Seat / Jet Black Int. / Cargo Shade & Net / Remote Start
Add:  Curt Hitch & Harness / Roof Rails / Fog Lamps
Want: Weather Mats / Window Deflectors
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »

Evil I am considering a setup that will leave them off until the high-beam is used, or flashed on/off.  If I want them off, I could then turn the headlights off, and then back on to auto.  I think all of this could be done inside the engine compartment with an appropriate latching relay.

Has anyone done this type of setup?

Latching relay !  A man after my own heart !  Must be a EE !

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
KickBackNox

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 10:00:10 AM »

I just completed installing and wiring new fog lights using the OEM Bezels and Light Assemblies on my 2013 Equinox 1LT.  It's a nice looking and hopefully useful upgrade.

INSTALLATION

After installing the new light assemblies and bezels (per bowtieman's instructions in this forum), I ran wiring (2 hot + 2 ground inside a sleeve) from the top of the engine compartment, alongside the wiper washer fluid bottle neck/inlet, behind the fender, down to the front of the vehicle. I connected these wires to a wiring harness I purchased (see below) that connects to the lights.  I wire tied the fuse and relay to the body under the wiper washer fluid bottle.

Back in the engine compartment, I connected the 2 ground wires (I know I can do one) to the ground post next to the driver side hinge, so I did not have to drill a hole or find a screw in front for grounding.  I connected the "hot" wire for the lights (with ring terminal) to the "source" side of fuse 55 (for power steering).  NOTE: If you remove the fuse you can determine what side of the fuse is the power source.  Connect to this power source so you are not putting the added load throught an existing fuse.  Also make sure your new accessory has it's own fuse.  The harness I installed (listed below) has a built-in in-line fuse so my system is protected.

I placed my switch to the left of the stearing column, above the dimmer switch for the dash lights.  There is a great flat spot (no ribs) behind the panel in this area.  Just drop the under dash panels and feel behind this area to ensure there is no hidden wiring here before you drill.  The dash material is soft and easy to drill (like butter) through, so be careful while drilling.  I used a spade bit.

I installed a fuse tap (see below) to fuse 13 (Auxiliary Power Front / off when the accessories are off) in the inside fuse box, and ran the wire to the new switch in the dash.  Again, make sure you determine which side of the fuse is "hot" so you can orient the fuse holder (wire away from "hot" side) so you don't add a load to the existing fuse.  The Fuse Tap also gives you an in-line fuse socket to protect your new accessory. This wire illuminates the light (with ground connected) and provides the power to the activate the relay. 

HOW IT WORKS

In this install, only 1 wire (relay signal power) needs to go through the firewall.  If the switch is off, or there is not power to the switch, the relay will be off, therefore the lights will be off.  The only potential problem I can see with this arrangement is if I ever have to troubleshoot the system.  Besides all of the wire connections, I will have to check and test the switch, 2 fuses and the relay.

PART SOURCES AND PRICES

The OEM Bezels cost $82.52 for the pair + $14.00 shipping from oemgmautoparts.  The OEM Light Assemblies cost $56.45 for the pair with free shipping from am-autoparts.  The light assemblies I ordered came with lights already installed im them.

I ordered a HID Xenon ready H11 Light Harness for $6.99 from eshop2098 on ebay.  This harness is HID Xenon ready and includes a Fuse and Relay.

Because I want to run standard H11 lights for now, I picked up a H11 Wiring Harness Converter/Extension  at $5.99 a pair from motoringmax on ebay.  These plug into the above harness so you can use non HID Xenon lights.  This is an added cost that may get tossed out later, but it provides the most flexibility and the ability to upgrade to HID's later when I am ready to.

I also picked up a flush mounted rocker switch with a blue LED for $1.30 (for 2) from eshop2098 on ebay.  This is a good switch with a solid feel, and it has a blue LED indicator light to help it match the rest of the lighting in the interior.  Mounting this switch requires 20mm (25/32") dia hole.

The best way to add a fused circuit directly to your existing fuse panel is to use a Fuse Tap for $1.99 from 852shop on ebay.  Before installing, make sure you determine which side of the fuse socket is "hot" so you can orient the fuse holder (wire away from "hot" side) so you don't add a load to the existing fuse.  This also gives you an in-line fuse socket to protect your new accessory.

Add about $20 for black and red wires, wire sleeve (use in the engine compartment), appropriate spade, ring and butt connectors, and fuses and you are ready to get the job done.

You can buy a slightly different Rocker Switch (that installs in a smaller hole and sits on the surface of the dash) and the Fuse Tap at a local auto parts store for around $8 each.  There is also a surface mount fob style remote switch you can but.  I prefer the flush mount switches because they give a "factory/professional" look and feel to the install.  I ordered extra Rocker Switchs and the Fuse Taps for other light projects on other vehicles my son add stuff to, so ebay was the way to go for me to save money.

This install cost me about $190 and a couple of hours of my time, but everything looks OEM and it all looks like it belongs on the 'Nox.

2013 'Nox 1LT in Atlantis Blue
Std:  MyLink / 8 Way Driver Seat / Jet Black Int. / Cargo Shade & Net / Remote Start
Add:  Curt Hitch & Harness / Roof Rails / Fog Lamps
Want: Weather Mats / Window Deflectors
Ralphalph

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 11:14:51 AM »

Nice. Want to come do mine? Haha.

2012 Equinox 2.4L 1LT AWD
bowtieman
Global Moderator
Theta Freak

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 05:35:20 AM »

Wow great install KickbackNox!!!!!!!!!
I am going to use this method to wire mine up! I like how you did this, it makes sense to me. Your knowledge is top notch. Maybe I will make a video on this and of course giving you full credit Smiley !

Thanks for posting, this will help others for sure!

islandreamer

2012 Chevy Equinox 1LT

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 10:30:41 AM »

And 2 more of the functions. Any questions just ask.
Excellent detailed write up and pics! This will definitely help a lot of us as I plan to do mine in a few days. Got one question on the wiring, does your fog lamps turn "off" automatically when the headlights are switched to "high beam"?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: