TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
July 25, 2014, 10:29:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pros & Cons 6cyldr vs 4cyldr  (Read 12845 times)
JTNJ

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:06:25 PM »

Any thoughts ?

Purchased 2/21/12 / ordered
Born Super Bowl Monday Feb 6 2012
2012 Terrain SLT-2 Fwd 2.4 Ltr
Mocha / Brownsone
Nav System Cargo Package
Mud Flaps, Huskey Liners Front, back and Cargo
mikeysLTZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »

I bought a v6 for my fiancÚ. Didn't like the lack of power on the 4 cylinder for a vehicle this size. Easy decision as we're not too concerned with a few less mpg's. I drive a v8 mustang and she used to drive a 4 cylinder Acura. She loves the v6 compared to the 4 and also test drove both the 4 and 6 before deciding she liked the 6 better. Still getting 18-19 mpg with 70% street 30% highway use
JediSkipdogg

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »

I got the 4 cylinder because of the better gas mileage (less fuel costs) and less initial cost.  I find it has plenty of power and I haven't needed to truely rev the engine yet.  I also don't tow anything so didn't need more power for that either.  I think unless one needs the extra power for something or feels they can't live without a V6...the 4 will work great for them.

Merlot Jewel 2012 GMC Terrain
FWD SLE-2 2.4L
Tribefan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »

I've got 16k+ miles on my 4 cylinder FWD Terrain. The vehicle i gave up for it was a 2007 Ford Ranger Super Cab 4x4 with a V6. Due to initial cost and MPG's, we chose the 4 cylinder over the V6, even after test driving both.

I would prefer the V6, but the 4 cylinder does a very good job of moving the vehicle with no problems. I've taken it on two round trips from Cleveland to Charlotte and even going through the mountains, it did surprisingly well with 3 passengers + luggage. I don't tow anything, so that aspect didn't factor in at all.

I was getting 16-18 MPG in my Ranger. I'm averaging 25 MPG in my Terrain with about 65% highway driving. I'm completely happy with my vehicle and have no regrets about getting the 4 cylinder.

2011 Terrain SLT-2
4 cylinder FWD
Merlot Jewel with Jet Black leather
No extra options
CFRTim

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 03:21:50 PM »

To be honest I didn't "feel" the extra torque and power from the V6, and most of the reviews I read, also didn't. I opted for the 4cyl, and had a hard time getting my FWD 4I. I wanted most of the bells and vistles I could get on the 2LT trim, but most available vehicles close to my needs either had AWD or the V6 or both, something I was set against. I do a lot of highway driving, and I don't tow anything. Actually, the dealer was going to subtract the V6 price option, just to sell me something they had on the lot. But I calculated how much more would cost me to drive the V6 vs the 4i, and it wasn't worth it. In the end I had to wait, but at least I got what I wanted.

edit:

I'm also hearing the V6 needs more frequent oil changes than the 4
wrusprod
Theta Freak

2012 V6- AWD Terrain

wrusprod wrusprod

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »

I had the Terrain 2011 for one year and 29k miles with the I-4 AWD

I now have the 2012 Terrain AWD with the V6..I have about 1300 on that.

I drive alot, I use it for work.. I went with the I4 at first for the MPG.. but I didnt get good MPG.. i was around 19-21 MPG on the I-4.. I think it had enough power, it just really gets loud when you give it the gas to get it to go..I had an I-4 in my last vehicle, 2006 HHR with the I-4 2.4L. I had no issues with that engine..so I thought i would be fine with the I-4 on the Terrain too.

now I was fine with it, I just felt like the Terrain, to me, being a heavier vehicle than my HHR, that the engine really worked hard...again, this is my opinion, and obviously my driving habits!

Now that I have the V6 and Im getting 18-19 MPG..(so not really seeing any change in MPG) and the engine is quiet, and has plenty of power..moves quick getting on freeways or passing...

I wish that I would have gotten the V6 in the first place with the 2011..

Also I changed the oil on the I-4 every 7k..my oil life at 1300 miles shows 78%..so we will see how the oil changes go..( no, I dont go by just the oil life monitor...)

We're trying to get an accurate count of people with or without engine startup noise. Please go here and vote. Your vote is private and will not be traced to you.
http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=3068.0

2012 GMC Terrain V6 AWD- SLE2, convenience package/18" wheels
RNOX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »

I have a 4 cyl and the power is fine.  You should drive the vehilces.   The best mileage I have gotton in 28.5 but in mixed driving usually in the mid 20's.  Looks like gas will be going real high this spring (Starting to go up now).  You'll need to save the extra cost for the 6 and better mileage of the 4 to keep your costs down.  This is a personal choice.
Sumr616

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »

If you don't anticipate doing much of any towing with this vehicle and you don't have a heavy foot, I'd go with the 4 cyl. Whatever you do, I would avoid the 2011 4 cyl's like the plague - particularly the ones with build dates between Feb 2011 and June 2011, you can find those issues in other thread on this forum.

If you like the extra power, then go for the V6.

2011 I4 Equinox LS bought 3/31/11 : after multiple failed repairs for stalling/start-up noise issues, pursued a GM-assisted replacement. GM agreed, and paid several thousand dollars to get me into my current vehicle...

2012 I4 Equinox LS bought 02/28/12
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

POLRCUB II,,, Lovin' The '300 Club'

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 06:55:05 PM »

To be honest I didn't "feel" the extra torque and power from the V6, and most of the reviews I read, also didn't.

Gee, if you can't feel an increase of 50ft lb of torque, then you must be sleeping while you drive!  wink  jk of course

POLRCUB,19"GM LF671's on 255's
Full load,SatNAV/Rear Ent.pkg./Lane assist/front cam collision/blind spot,
4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GM Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint, lowering spring kit
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »

Any thoughts ?

Sure,
The GM DI 2.4 Ecotec LAF - is con, con ,con - useless as a NA engine.
The GM DI 3.0 LF1 NA is muchly appreciated - but for heavier fully loaded AWD vehicle - I wished GM had gone with its bigger sister, the DI NA 3.6 used in the CTS, now that would be perfect.

Well almost perfect  Grin   

4pcWeatherTechs,Blendmount radar,white GM Guards,6KLED Int & LED Ext. 6KHID fogs & DRLs,VG Fin,custom 3M, purple trim & 28%tint, lowering spring kit
MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
Dawgdaes

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 08:53:18 PM »

If you don't anticipate doing much of any towing with this vehicle and you don't have a heavy foot, I'd go with the 4 cyl. Whatever you do, I would avoid the 2011 4 cyl's like the plague - particularly the ones with build dates between Feb 2011 and June 2011, you can find those issues in other thread on this forum.

If you like the extra power, then go for the V6.

I feel if you have a heavy foot your going to hate the 4.

2013 LTZ, V6, AWD, Summit White

2012 2LT, AWD, I4, NAV, Power lift gate, Jet Black, Twilight Blue. - totaled with 23,000 miles by hit and run driver 

Traded @ 33,000 Miles - 2010 2LT, FWD, I4, NAV, Power lift gate, Titanium, Cardinal Red
CFRTim

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 09:38:19 PM »

Since we're on the engine subject, I wish GM would offer a diesel, like they do in Europe.
POLRCUB II
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 10:03:48 PM »

Well that would be a con for sure, at least up here in the Great White North, diesel is more $$/liter or gallon if that's your unit of measure.
And Urea is required as an additive to break down nitrogen (NOX) due to the new diesel emmisions requirements.
Plus it's about $20 for 10 litres and that only lasts for about 2 to 2 1/2 tank fulls, if you think you can just run without it, GM has that figured too, ECU cuts power and max speed to 90km/hr and if you still resist, 6km/hr.   Beer

MY13 3.6L Denali
Farewell MY10, 11 & 12
jcarm75

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »

V6 for power (hauling around people and towing). Wife tried the I4 and hated that it didnt have the power she was used to (v6 09 outlook). We just took a trip to Los Angeles from Palm Springs area and were glad we had the power to haul a family of 4. The I4 is what a coworker of mine got in a Terrain, but she commutes solo on the freeway.

J. Carm75
NoobNox
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 07:22:20 AM »

I test drove both the I4 and V6 and didn't notice a huge difference in power/torque from the drivers seat. Since I didn't have any towing plans at the time (and still don't) we chose the I4 for the lighter weight and better fuel economy. Once the engine was fully broken in (around 10-12k miles) power/smoothness/fuel economy have improved and we are satisfied with the choice. If I had something to tow regularly I would probably choose something larger than the Nox regardless of engine...and the only reason I might choose a V6 in something this size is if I lived in a hilly area and needed the extra torque for daily driving. (I don't)

2010 Equinox 2LT Silver Ice metallic, 2.4 I4, 2WD, Titanium leather
truckweb

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 08:22:33 AM »

If you want AWD, go with the V6.  If you want FWD, the I4 will do a great job because the truck is lighter.

And as for MPG, the I4 AWD drink as much fuel as the V6 FWD.
truckweb

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 08:24:58 AM »

To be honest I didn't "feel" the extra torque and power from the V6, and most of the reviews I read, also didn't.

Same here, the V6 is "slow", no punch.  You don't feel like you're driving a V6 in this truck (except for the engine sound).
RNOX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 08:27:11 AM »

What's the price difference?  Is it $2000?
truckweb

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 08:37:07 AM »

What's the price difference?  Is it $2000?

In Canada it's $1725 and it's $1500 in the US.
EquinoxFF1063

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »

Well that would be a con for sure, at least up here in the Great White North, diesel is more $$/liter or gallon if that's your unit of measure.
And Urea is required as an additive to break down nitrogen (NOX) due to the new diesel emmisions requirements.
Plus it's about $20 for 10 litres and that only lasts for about 2 to 2 1/2 tank fulls, if you think you can just run without it, GM has that figured too, ECU cuts power and max speed to 90km/hr and if you still resist, 6km/hr.   Beer

A diesel option ?  -  The latest EPA Diesel Emission requirements should kill any thought of ordering one.  Out of warranty repairs caused by the new emission regulations can run in the $$ thousands for a Duramax, Cummins, or Ford.  Very complicated, complex systems now to have a cleaner exhaust.

2012 Equinox 1LT FWD I4
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: