TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
May 25, 2016, 03:33:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone fit three car seats in the back?  (Read 10468 times)
Mommier

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2011, 12:20:55 AM »

We are expecting our third child in May and are looking for any parents who have been able to do it. It's hard to get an adult to sit in with the two seats we have now. If you have been able to configure this, what car seats do you have?
AMG Eric

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »

i can only do 2 car seats and a 3rd grader in the back.

Black Granite Metallic  2010 Nox 2LT I-4 
Light Titanium Leather   Sunroof
Pioneer System  Back up Camera  4500K HID
Mommier

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:59:22 AM »

i can only do 2 car seats and a 3rd grader in the back.

I have a 2010 terrain though, so no third row seating  Bang Head I really am not sure what to do if we can't fit three seats in there! Thanks Smiley
tahoebigah

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »

We only have one kid but planning on more. This is what we use http://us.diono.com/en/car-seats/radian-rxt  and you can fit 3 nicely i think.  It really just depends on what car seat you are using.
GM Customer Svc
Theta Guru

Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:56:40 PM »

We are expecting our third child in May and are looking for any parents who have been able to do it. It's hard to get an adult to sit in with the two seats we have now. If you have been able to configure this, what car seats do you have?

There is a picture on page 2-49 through 2-55 of your owner's manual on how to safely secure three child seats as long as they fit. I hope this helps.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

>>>>>> Please check out the new GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/ for more vehicle information!
AMG Eric

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 09:12:11 PM »

There is a picture on page 2-49 through 2-55 of your owner's manual on how to safely secure three child seats as long as they fit. I hope this helps.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
not to be a negative nancy but how does this help the lady?  how about a recommend that the design team thought of in advance of a car seat that she can purchase 3 of.

Black Granite Metallic  2010 Nox 2LT I-4 
Light Titanium Leather   Sunroof
Pioneer System  Back up Camera  4500K HID
Sburngasser

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »

I have a 2011 Terrain, 1 yr old and a 3.  With the 1 yr old being rear facing and the size of the good seats, there is no way!

2011 Terrain Mocha SLT2 Brownstone
Blacked out Tint
Blacked out Rims
w/Nav etc..
Mommier

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »

We tried. And failed. No way in heck can we fit three car seats back there. I cried like a pregnant emotional baby because that means we won't be able to keep our Terrain. Thanks to everyone that responded. Happy New Year!
annac113

Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 11:56:06 AM »

There are some car seats that are narrow so you can fit 3 seats in the back. An example is the Diono Radian RXT Convertible Car Seat. Its width is about 17 inches.
rbarrios
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 12:06:01 PM »

those are slim-- but now way will they fit in our Nox...

They just barely fit in my Traverse..... and its obviously wider than the Nox.

my 3 Diono Radians side by side....

2013 Equinox  LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -   46,000
2010 Traverse LT1 3.6L V6 FWD - 110,000
2003 Trailblazer LS  4.2L I6 RWD- 180,000
Colt Hero
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 09:58:10 PM »

The Nox (and presumably the Terrain) is very noticeably narrow on the inside.  Not surprised at all you cannot put three car seats in the back.  And even though it's referred to as a 5-seater, it's really only a 4, as there is no "seat" in the middle (although there IS a seatbelt).

Time to move up to the Traverse.  Plenty more room in there.

2011 Equinox 1LT (new Jan 2011)        2002 Impala 1LT (new  June 2002J
Summit White / 3.0 L V6 / FWD            Summit White / 3.4 L V6 / FWD
18" Wheels / Pioneer Stereo
86,732 Miles (03/11/16)                      191,230 Miles (03/11/16)
1999 White C5 Coupe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 09:48:11 AM »

A family member has a 2013 Equinox 2LT and with two child seats in the rear, space for an adult is almost impossible.

My wife and I had a 2012 Impala LTZ that would hold three car seats in the rear.  We bought a new 2014 Impala 2LTZ and the salesman assured us that three car seats would fit in the rear, pointing out the three upper LATCH anchors.  After buying the car and reading the owner's manual, I learned that GM designed the new "larger" Impala to only hold two car seats in the rear seat.  One car seat can be placed in any one of the three seating positions.  Two car seats must be placed in the outboard seating positions (making it very difficult for someone to sit in the middle....).  There is only five lower LATCH anchors to prevent installing a third car seat.

My advice:  Before buying a vehicle, do not assume the car seats will fit or believe a (lying) car salesman.  Test fit any seats that you intend to use and then try other seating positions.

BandDirector

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 06:00:20 PM »

...ya'll know this is a 5 year old thread that was resurrected by a first timer, right?

-2015 Chevrolet Equinox SS 301HP V6
-1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 400.1 RWHP 6 Speed
-2011 Mazda RX8
rbarrios
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 07:56:59 PM »

yeap---

Did notice.

But im sure parents to be--- or a family of 4-- soon to be 5--- will find this useful

JVee-511

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 09:51:16 PM »

...ya'll know this is a 5 year old thread that was resurrected by a first timer, right?

Couldn't have timed the bump any better though. My wife just took delivery of a brand new '16 Terrain Denali, and one of the prerequisites during my research was the ability to fit 3 car-seats across the bench, while the rear-facing seat would not impede on front passenger comfort (keeping the cost below $40k was another prerequisite and so these two requirements really singled out the Terrain and the Equinox).

After quite a bit of research, I purchased two Diono Radian 100s (they are older, but similar to the ones in the pics above). Very expensive at $190 each, but they are the cheapest ones with the narrow width. In addition to these two Radians, we had an existing Graco booster.

The layout is as follows:
Radian rear-facing in right side, via LATCH.
Radian front-facing in middle, via Lap-Shoulder belt
Graco booster (front facing of course) in left side, via Lap-Shoulder belt (I don't see how a third Radian would not be able to fit instead)

I am so relieved that this worked! Honestly, it was pretty easy to do. The time consuming part was learning about the Radians and how to properly install them. Arranging and securing them in place was quite straight forward. The only thing I may end up doing is buying a buckle extension for the Graco booster position to make it easier to reach the buckle. As it is, it may become a hassle reaching for it between seats.
Another interesting thing is the weight of the Radians...they're kinda hefty. Their full-time status in the Terrain will sure be an mpg-delete for its V6 in the long term!

I'll post pics when I get the chance. Sorry, Mommier, this was 5 years too late!
JayTee2014
Theta Freak

2015 Equinox LTZ Champagne Silver Metallic

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 05:16:54 AM »

yeap---

Did notice.

But im sure parents to be--- or a family of 4-- soon to be 5--- will find this useful

When you're right.. .  .  you're right and already have another helpful addition above!   Cheers

2015 Equinox LTZ 3.6L FWD Champagne Silver Metallic *Build Date 1-08-2015  * * 14,200 miles
rbarrios
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 07:40:39 AM »

Im going to try to fit 3 Dionos in the back of the Nox. and ill update.

We have 2 in the Traverse and 2 in the Nox.

They are pricey--- butin the Traverse--- they allow the 2nd row 40 portion of the seat to 'smart slide' to allow access to the 3rd row....
something that cant be done with regular car seats... (I often carry up to 8 in the Traverse).

I did buy the initial 2 for $289 each.

Got tired of swapping seats from Traverse to Nox- depending on who was picking up the kids.. (the seats are heavy- at about 25 lbs each).
Eventually bought 2 more on sale on Amazon for $219 each....

Currently on Amazon for $250.

JVee-511

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 11:05:39 AM »

Im going to try to fit 3 Dionos in the back of the Nox. and ill update.

We have 2 in the Traverse and 2 in the Nox.

They are pricey--- butin the Traverse--- they allow the 2nd row 40 portion of the seat to 'smart slide' to allow access to the 3rd row....
something that cant be done with regular car seats... (I often carry up to 8 in the Traverse).

I did buy the initial 2 for $289 each.

Got tired of swapping seats from Traverse to Nox- depending on who was picking up the kids.. (the seats are heavy- at about 25 lbs each).
Eventually bought 2 more on sale on Amazon for $219 each....

Currently on Amazon for $250.

I'm familiar with the musical-chairs! My wife's previous car could not fit 3-across  or rear-face, so while she had gone to work with her daily, I dropped off the kids in our main family hauler, a Ford Flex, and went to school afterwards. On her way home from work my poor wife would swap cars in my campus parking lot so she can pick up the kids in the Flex while I was still in class. What a pain! Then I'd have to drive home in her car with its wimpy 168hp 2.6L V6 (nevermind that it was a Benz C-class...traded-in for Terrain). At least she got to have fun with the Turbocharged V6 of the Flex!

Anyway, I'm quite certain you'll have no problems fitting three of those nice Dionos in your 'Nox. I've read that using the seat belts instead of LATCH in the outboard positions can make 3-across installation easier.
rbarrios
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 11:53:53 AM »

ill try the seatbelts for the outer--- though I like how snug the seats fit with the LATCH.

THe other thing-- is there a concern of the seat-- beating too close to the door--- where the side air bags deploy?

(though in reality-- we will not be carrying 3 across in the Nox).

JVee-511

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »

ill try the seatbelts for the outer--- though I like how snug the seats fit with the LATCH.

THe other thing-- is there a concern of the seat-- beating too close to the door--- where the side air bags deploy?

(though in reality-- we will not be carrying 3 across in the Nox).

I think there's plenty of clearance.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: