TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 22, 2014, 06:33:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB "Jump Drive"/Memory Stick Functonality  (Read 39000 times)
tmozer

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 11:00:06 AM »

I will probably have no reason to do this and have not tried (I have plenty of cigarette lighter to usb thingy's around), but I was wondering if, in a pinch, if I had a USB (male to mini male) and needed to power either my phone, pda or gps, would the Terrain USB port provide power? 

Gold 2015 Equinox LTZ
Purchased 9/16/2014
Roesterman

Mocha Nox ordered Jan 7th -pick up April 13th 2010

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »

There are things I like about where the USB port was placed (inside the center storage).  It is out of the way.  Out of sight.  Protected.  However there are things that bother me.  It's hard to insert a flash drive (especially with the tray inserted) and will get harder as the center storage gets filled with junk.  Also I would be afraid that something that was either thrown in the storage or dug out of the storage could damage or even break a thumb drive. 

The first thing I thought to do was to dig out one of the short male to female USB cables I have collected over the years. I am leaving that inserted in the port and will just fish the loose female end out when I want to insert or change a flash drive.  Works great.

How about using a USB extender that comes with most wireless mouse or wireless internet USB adapters?

2010 Chevy Equinox
2LT 1SC 4cyl FWD
Mocha Brownstone Leather 
Trailer Pkg. Huskyliners
DVD  Sunroof  Cargo cover
Chrome Pkg  18" wheels
TerrainGirl

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 07:53:58 AM »

I would actually take that idea a step further.  I would run one of those from the center console, out the center console (through the holes where the hinges are), under the center console cover, beneath the cup holders (there is a great space there where I can see an additional amplifier someday) and up through the hole that I drilled at the bottom of the center cubbyhole area (it's about 1/2 inch with a rubber grommet).  To tell you the truth, I hate the USB port in the center console.  My wife and kids have already filled it, and getting anything into or out of the usb slot is a joke.

There are some great ideas here, I may have to look at "extending" mine also.....Certainly offers more versatility that way.
tmozer

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2010, 10:37:50 AM »

After our first long drive in our new Terrain (650 miles) I am happy to report that the standard audio system kicks ass!  Great sound.  And a loaded 4 gig flash drive was more than enough for the 11.5 hour trip.  Don'[t think I will ever have reason to use the CD player.  Maybe I'll just run a bead of silicon across the opening to keep the dust out.......

The only issue I have (other than wishing I had the audio control on the steering wheel like in my Grand Prix) is the shuffle play.  I loaded my flash drives the easy way by just grabbing folders of artists I know I would want to listen to.  However, in doing so, there were many repeats of the same cut from different albums.  Shuffle will try to play the repeat cuts back to back.  Guess I'll have to weed them out.

Gold 2015 Equinox LTZ
Purchased 9/16/2014
tmozer

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2010, 06:26:15 AM »

Another issue I had with the flash drives full of mp3's I prepared was volume.  It is supprising the difference in volume of mp3 files gathered from different sources.  I have been purchasing a lot of digital albums from Amazon and the cuts tend to be much louder then the files I have ripped from my own CD's.  I just ran all my flash drive files through a free program called mp3gain.  It adjusts all the music to approximately the same sound level.  No more reaching for the volume knob.  Highly recommended.

Gold 2015 Equinox LTZ
Purchased 9/16/2014
nitti48

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2010, 08:46:45 AM »

Is that a Free program..perhaps u could post the link??? Thanks

2010 Terrain SLT-2..I4

Carbon Black Metallic/Jet Black Leather Interior
  Navigation System/Pioneer Sound System
   Sun/Moon Roof.....Chrome PKG...18" wheels
    WeatherTech Custom Front/Back Floormats
     CargoLiner Organizer/Front/Rear Splashgrds
      Simoniz Teflon Coated/ScothcGuard I
tmozer

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2010, 09:30:39 AM »

Is that a Free program..perhaps u could post the link??? Thanks

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

Gold 2015 Equinox LTZ
Purchased 9/16/2014
Texas Terrain

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2010, 01:58:48 PM »

Does anyone know if there's a way to set the USB to continue playing an album where it left off when the car is turned off and on again? for example, i deliver food at night and every time i have an album playing through the USB, i turn my car off and make the delivery and when i turn it back on, the same song still plays where it left off, but it defaults back to "Play All" mode.

it may not seem like a big problem, but it gets kind of annoying to have to wait for the USB to index and search for the album you were listening to, every 20-30 minutes.
walterobrien

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2010, 03:45:04 PM »

I finally figured out the USB stick format issues, despite having a Macintosh. Luckily I can also run Windows 7 on the Mac and figured out how to format the USB thumb drive as FAT32 AND, most importantly, to pull the Autoplay and U3 software off the stick so the GMC Terrain audio system can read the USB drive.

PROBLEM still is - the song titles. Some titles come through fine and play fine, most play ok if I use the Artist or Album  play method, and even seem to be ok in Track List play. BUT if you try to shuffle in All Songs mode, which to me is the most useful of all - LOADS of the songs have "._" and maybe a number in front of the Song title, and they get PASSED BY as the radio looks for a song to play. I tried renaming all the songs, yes all 2,450 of them manually to pull the number from the front of the song title, but that didn't help. I tried having iTunes export by album group to see if that helped, but nothing.

Anybody have any idea how best to format the song titles so the radio can actually see them? I even found those automatic batch file renaming programs that help the renaming process be slighly less tedious and time consuming, but still a good percentage of the songs get ignored by the radio in All Songs mode. Thanks for any help. walterobrien@me.com or on the forum!
nitti48

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2010, 05:35:35 PM »

OK I have the NAV system..When I have lets say 5 albums they transfer fine to the HDD..Only problem when I go to play a particular Album they are listed in alphabetical order not track order...I have been having this problem since I started transferring Albums to HDD from USB Mem stick..I think it was discussed before but never got a good solution...Thanks

2010 Terrain SLT-2..I4

Carbon Black Metallic/Jet Black Leather Interior
  Navigation System/Pioneer Sound System
   Sun/Moon Roof.....Chrome PKG...18" wheels
    WeatherTech Custom Front/Back Floormats
     CargoLiner Organizer/Front/Rear Splashgrds
      Simoniz Teflon Coated/ScothcGuard I
chadh

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2010, 05:03:21 PM »

The ._ files are created by Mac OS and are usually hidden by the Mac. Unfortunately any other system will see them as potentially useful files and try to use them. And it wont work. Ther are several utilities that will remove the files from the flash drive. One is called Blue Harvest.

The problem I'm having is I copied mp3s to 3 flash drives. The radio playes one of them fine. The other two it says it cannot read anything from them. Don't know why. I copied the files to all three the same way. And there is well under the max number of files.

I found just making mp3 using iTunes puts all the correct meta data in the file for the radio to display.

I finally figured out the USB stick format issues, despite having a Macintosh. Luckily I can also run Windows 7 on the Mac and figured out how to format the USB thumb drive as FAT32 AND, most importantly, to pull the Autoplay and U3 software off the stick so the GMC Terrain audio system can read the USB drive.

PROBLEM still is - the song titles. Some titles come through fine and play fine, most play ok if I use the Artist or Album  play method, and even seem to be ok in Track List play. BUT if you try to shuffle in All Songs mode, which to me is the most useful of all - LOADS of the songs have "._" and maybe a number in front of the Song title, and they get PASSED BY as the radio looks for a song to play. I tried renaming all the songs, yes all 2,450 of them manually to pull the number from the front of the song title, but that didn't help. I tried having iTunes export by album group to see if that helped, but nothing.

Anybody have any idea how best to format the song titles so the radio can actually see them? I even found those automatic batch file renaming programs that help the renaming process be slighly less tedious and time consuming, but still a good percentage of the songs get ignored by the radio in All Songs mode. Thanks for any help. walterobrien@me.com or on the forum!
KISSWpg

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2010, 09:02:40 PM »

Does anyone know if there's a way to set the USB to continue playing an album where it left off when the car is turned off and on again? for example, i deliver food at night and every time i have an album playing through the USB, i turn my car off and make the delivery and when i turn it back on, the same song still plays where it left off, but it defaults back to "Play All" mode.

it may not seem like a big problem, but it gets kind of annoying to have to wait for the USB to index and search for the album you were listening to, every 20-30 minutes.

I'd like to know the same thing, I've had my Terrain for 2 1/2 months now, and find this very frustrating

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2
3.0L V6, AWD, 18" Wheels
TerrainSLT2

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2010, 09:54:37 AM »

I use 2gb SD memory card of my DSLR Pro camera & the USB adaptor. I have loaded 275 mp3 songs…when I off the engine and switch it back, the songs will continue exactly where I left it & continue to the next song etc.

Take note that you only need one’s for the indexing & that is in the very beginning that you’ve inserted your USB. I didn’t encounter any repeated indexing again because as far as I know once the system read it all he will not making indexing again, unless you add more songs in your memory stick.

Also you don’t need any program to run your MP3 because USB in your vehicle is a Plug & Play.

GMC Terrain AWD SLT-2 v6 Summit White
19" Cast Chrome Wheel
Summit White Side Molding with Chrome Accent (exclusive)
Splash or Mud Guard (front & rear)
Chrome Fuel Door
GMC Hitch Cover
Door Visor
WeatherTech FloorLiner™ DigitalFit® (1st & 2nd Row)
CG for Detailing
KISSWpg

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2010, 12:28:25 PM »

I use 2gb SD memory card of my DSLR Pro camera & the USB adaptor. I have loaded 275 mp3 songs…when I off the engine and switch it back, the songs will continue exactly where I left it & continue to the next song etc.

Take note that you only need one’s for the indexing & that is in the very beginning that you’ve inserted your USB. I didn’t encounter any repeated indexing again because as far as I know once the system read it all he will not making indexing again, unless you add more songs in your memory stick.

Also you don’t need any program to run your MP3 because USB in your vehicle is a Plug & Play.

I use an 8gb stick. I am not sure off the top of my head how many songs I have on it. I will search by artist, listen to that artist, as soon as I turn off the truck, and then start it back up, it will continue playing that song, once the song is over it will continue in alphabetical order of all songs, not just that artist.  Any thoughts?

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2
3.0L V6, AWD, 18" Wheels
GMCdriver

2010 AWD Terrain SLE2 V6 - Blue w/Titanium

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2010, 12:42:38 PM »

How do you have the stick formated?
I think it needed to be formated as FAT32.
KISSWpg

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »

How do you have the stick formated?
I think it needed to be formated as FAT32.

I double checked and it is FAT32, I was hoping that's all it was. I had a 2Gb usb that did the same thing, so I don't believe it to be an issue with the size of the stick.

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2
3.0L V6, AWD, 18" Wheels
KISSWpg

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »

I am taking my Terrain for it's first oil change. One of the items on my list is to have them look at the usb functionality (or lack of) Apparently there are some updates available,  hears hoping they can fix my issue.

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2
3.0L V6, AWD, 18" Wheels
lb_12

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2011, 11:45:08 AM »

What model sandisk are you using?  Is it a cruzer or ultra back-up?  Does the radio automatically alphabetize your songs or do they remain in the album order?

Not really relevent but i use a 32G Sandisk and erase all the unecessary prg they have on there..I use the 32g to put avi(DIVIX) movies on and play thru a upcompression Philips DVD player with usb drive..never have to burn dvd's and I was amazed at the quality of the movies..and

Where The F$2#K is my Terrain..Its going on 10 weeks and want it to swap or reorder what I want,hehe..Patience is a very Great Virtue..........

SLE-2
Nav
Convenience Pkg
Sunroof
bigmaestro

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2011, 02:33:40 PM »

What are the playlist options like when using the USB stick?  Will it recognize *.pls or *.m3U files as playlists and allow you to select it on the NAV display?  I'm really into playlists and I'm not down for mixing my Tchaikovsky with Portishead and Stevie Wonder.  I want to buy a USB stick since it's not as "precious" as my iPod, but I don't want to be dealing with a 2000+ song playlist of everything when I'm driving.

2011 Terrain SLT-2 Merlot Jewel, Jet Black Perforated, 2.4 I4, FWD, Navigation
inphoenix

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2011, 08:27:12 PM »

OK gang... Need a little help. I've got a Verbatim 4G stick, cleared all the junk off of it, FAT 32 formatted it and loaded my music. "device not recognized" is what I get. The files are MPEG 4, should not be an issue but... What else am I missing? I can run them from the PC fine so I know it's not the files.
Thanks in advance...

2010 Equinox LT2, Cardinal Red,
V6
18 inch wheels
Pioneer System ( Bose killer)
PDIM
Sunroof
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: