TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 24, 2014, 10:59:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: gas-like odor coming from air vents  (Read 7797 times)
gqnel

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:30:45 AM »

I've had my terrain for almost 2 months now and recently I've noticed a gas-like odor coming from the air vents.  It doesn't happen often and when it does it only lasts about 10 secs, but that's concerning to me.  Anyone have the same issue or know what that might be?  I've emailed by dealership and await their response.  I have a 2011 SLE-2 V6 AWD.  Thanks!!
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:57:32 AM »

I've had my terrain for almost 2 months now and recently I've noticed a gas-like odor coming from the air vents.  It doesn't happen often and when it does it only lasts about 10 secs, but that's concerning to me.  Anyone have the same issue or know what that might be?  I've emailed by dealership and await their response.  I have a 2011 SLE-2 V6 AWD.  Thanks!!

If it were me, I'd phone the service department ASAP.  A gas smell is never good.  If there is a leak inside the engine area, it could be very serious to have leaking gasoline around an engine.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
GM Customer Service

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:04:43 AM »

I strongly encourage you to take your vehicle directly to your dealership to be diagnosed.  Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
Caron, GM Customer Service

gqnel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:27:26 AM »

So I brought the vehicle in to get checked out, but they could not find anything wrong with it.  I was told there were no fuel stains on or around the engine and that they ran some tests and turned on my vents, but could not duplicate the odor.  I was advised to circulate the air in the cabin cause maybe outside air was being pulled in.  I'll try that and see if the problem goes away.  I'm still skeptical cause even if I'm bringing in outside air, wouldn't I smell other odors?  I'm only smelling gas, which is very specific.  But we'll see what happens.
Macbane

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 04:29:22 PM »

You're not alone...I get that every once in a while too. 

2011 GMC Terrain SLE-1 AWD
gqnel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »

Hey Caron,

Maybe it's something worth noting that this is not an isolated issue.  Now that someone else has the problem, I'm pretty sure it's not cause we're both pulling in outside air that smells like gas.
GM Customer Service

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will be sure to keep an eye out for any further information that may pertain to your situation.

Thank you,
Caron, GM Customer Service

Hey Caron,

Maybe it's something worth noting that this is not an isolated issue.  Now that someone else has the problem, I'm pretty sure it's not cause we're both pulling in outside air that smells like gas.
islaguy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 02:22:44 PM »

I also have had mine a little over two months.The other day my wife and I were sitting in it parked curbside,motor running windows closed with air conditioning on.The car filled with a very strong gasoline smell so bad I first looked at mt gas gauge feeling gas must be pouring out.I put my face up to the vent and gas smell was very intense.I opened all windows and I guess a few moments later the smell was gone.There was no way this smell was comming from the outside air as there was no traffic anywhere around.Please let me know if you find anything out.I also am getting 17.7 MPG.I just came out of the dealership with a cam phasor problem last week.

FlaTerrain

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 07:56:08 PM »

I had a gas leak on the discharge side of the high pressure pump. Gas was dripping on the block. GM replaced my pump to fix it.

2010 Terrain, 38,000 miles, I4
dwsbigsky

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 07:10:08 AM »

gqnel, you describe EXACTLY the issue I'm having with my 2011 Equinox...did you ever diagnose and / or resolve it?  My local service team (who get an A for their effort) cannot determine the source.  They've replaced the high-pressue fuel pump and a pinion (sp?) seal they thought was leaking onto th exhause to no avail. This has become very frustrating, and, sounds like it is NOT an isolated incident.  Any insight you can give is appreiated.
gqnel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »

hey dwsbigsky, sorry to hear you've experienced this too.  However, since I've posted this last year, I haven't had the gas smell since, or if I have, i don't recall.  A good thing obviously, but like you, the Service ppl could not find any problems wit the engine or could they find anything that they thought would have caused the problem.
Hope your Nox checks out OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: