TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 22, 2014, 02:38:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water dripping from rear bottom of muffler  (Read 16158 times)
Terrain2011

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2011, 05:55:40 PM »

When I pull into my drive I see water drips on the left side all up the driveway (like in the summer time when the A/C has been running and you get a regular dripping)  In the garage a small pool of water forms with black soot in it also.   Looked under the Terrain today and saw that the water dripping from the rear lower of the muffler   (2011 FWD I4).   Also black soot around the area from which the water was dripping.

I do not see a manufactured drain hole in the muffler, it just seems to be coming out from the joint between the end piece of the muffler and the oval shaped shell tube.  

The tailpipe itself seems to be dry, but posssibly with a little higher amount of black soot than what I would expect.

I know it is water as I touched, smelled,  and tasted it, and it also evaporates in a few minutes off of the driveway.

I know that water condensation is a normal by-product of combustion, but I have been driving for 57 years and have never seen a drip like this.  ( Have noticed it since new [2100 miles ago], but just now looked under the Terrain. )

So my question is what do you think is going on.   Would some one please look under their Terrain (or maybe Equinox) with the I4 engine and see if they are seeing the same thing.  (Water and no drain hole, etc)

FWIW, I am talking a central Michigan environment, where we have been having cold weather, but as of late it has been somewhat milder, but still get the dripping.

Searched the forum and found no question like this.   Checked Google and all responses say "normal", but I say after 57 years of driving, this is different.
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »

Normal - most mufflers have a drain hole to let the moisture out that collects within the mufler.  Otherwise, you will have a can full of water and it will promote rust.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
GARYD
Theta Freak

USMC 3RD TANK BATT. VIETNAM 1965-1966

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »

Could it be a bad weld at the seam that's letting water out seep out?

2010 Terrain SLT-2
AWD, 6CYL. Onyx Black
Every Conceivable option
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »

If you look closely, the seam is open right there. Just allows the water to drip out.

2010 Terrain SLE2, FWD, 4cyl, Merlot Jewel, Jet Black int., Convenience package
Terrain2011

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:17:33 PM »

Normal - most mufflers have a drain hole to let the moisture out that collects within the mufler.  Otherwise, you will have a can full of water and it will promote rust.

But like I said, I have never seen a car drip like this before in 57 years of driving, and do they usually have black soot around this drain hole? If it were normal, it seems like I would have noticed it on other vehicles.   I have lived on a cement driveway for over 25 years  and have never observed it before!

This is a drip drip drip all the way up the driveway after I have been driving the car to normal temperatures.

And I will ask further have you, or anyone else, observed the dripping? Constant dripping on your vehicle and have you looked under yours to see if the back end of your muffler is sooted for about a 4 inch radius around the drip point?  
  If so, I have not ever noticed that either.
Terrain2011

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:18:36 PM »

Could it be a bad weld at the seam that's letting water out seep out?

That is what I was wondering.
oracle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »

In your 57 years you've never had a car with Direct Fuel Injection and 2 CATs.. The new cars exhaust gets much hotter that any other combustion car that previously existed as the emissions controls are very strict. The amount of condensation is increased because the muffler baffle (at least in the V6) is really big, so there is more volume which is more condensation.
The black sooth is a not a sign that your car is not working as it should.  (remember this is a different world with the gazillion electronics in modern cars).

In my Terrain I noticed that after the engine is shut down there is "steam" coming out of the tailpipes for good 20 seconds.. like a smoking gun.. I've never seen that in any car, looks nice but gets my attention every time.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
MOCHANOX

Always Mod the Mod to make it YOURS !!!

Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 04:12:19 AM »

Normal -

X2

2011 LAF 1LT
BCM by GTPprix
1st USA 1LT w/OEM Operated Fog Lamps
RKE All Window Auto Roll Down
RKE Extended Run Time
OEM Courtesy Lamps
Hard Mount/Wired Garmin-coming soon
C.C.P. Pkgs.
RNOX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 05:35:53 AM »

But like I said, I have never seen a car drip like this before in 57 years of driving, and do they usually have black soot around this drain hole? If it were normal, it seems like I would have noticed it on other vehicles.   I have lived on a cement driveway for over 25 years  and have never observed it before!

This is a drip drip drip all the way up the driveway after I have been driving the car to normal temperatures.

And I will ask further have you, or anyone else, observed the dripping? Constant dripping on your vehicle and have you looked under yours to see if the back end of your muffler is sooted for about a 4 inch radius around the drip point?  
  If so, I have not ever noticed that either.

The volume of water is more than I have ever seen. The muffler has a weep home so water drains.  Better to be getting out of the exhust than sitting in there
Terrain2011

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 06:49:52 AM »

In your 57 years you've never had a car with Direct Fuel Injection and 2 CATs.. The new cars exhaust gets much hotter that any other combustion car that previously existed as the emissions controls are very strict. The amount of condensation is increased because the muffler baffle (at least in the V6) is really big, so there is more volume which is more condensation.
The black sooth is a not a sign that your car is not working as it should.  (remember this is a different world with the gazillion electronics in modern cars).

In my Terrain I noticed that after the engine is shut down there is "steam" coming out of the tailpipes for good 20 seconds.. like a smoking gun.. I've never seen that in any car, looks nice but gets my attention every time.

interesting, and informative, but are you experiencing the dripping like I described?  I am not seeing any steam, even on a near zero temp. day, but still see the dripping!
Terrain2011

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 06:51:39 AM »

X2

So you are saying that you see it also??
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 07:06:38 AM »

Mine does it as you describe. filled up the kids swimming pool with it...
crossed it off my list of things to "worry" about

JLF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 07:51:48 AM »

A lot of it depends on the weather also.  If you're in a humid area, more water dripping.  Here in Tucson with our dry climate, I see very little moisture.  Except during the rainy season or during cloudy/humid days.  My 97 GMC dually does it more than the Terrain.  Now my 67 Mustang with Magnaflow exhaust, water will come out the tail pipes because there are no drain holes on the mufflers.

2010 GMC Terrain SLT2
1997 GMC Dually
1967 Mustang
1964 Pontiac GTO, tri-power
MOCHANOX

Always Mod the Mod to make it YOURS !!!

Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 01:14:18 PM »

Yes...and from all the vehicles we own.

Here in Northern California we get a variety of weather

As stated in a reply above...a lot of the quantity of the water you see is directly related to the humidity in your area/time of year.  During the colder moist months here we see "gobs" of H20 from the pipes...on a hot (102 degree) day...not a drop

The exhaust pipe is obviously hot when the engine is running and expels hot air.
When the engine is shut off the exhaust pipe cools and "sucks in" air...filling the entire length of the pipe with moist air (assuming the climate at the time).  The moisture then condenses in the pipe and sits there until next engine start when the exhaust pressure "pushes" out the water which has condensed inside.
If you think about it...it's a little bit like a alcohol still...

2011 LAF 1LT
BCM by GTPprix
1st USA 1LT w/OEM Operated Fog Lamps
RKE All Window Auto Roll Down
RKE Extended Run Time
OEM Courtesy Lamps
Hard Mount/Wired Garmin-coming soon
C.C.P. Pkgs.
Mrmidnite2

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 05:46:58 PM »

Mine drips as well. I have an enclosed garage and everytime I back in and shut off the engine, the watery stuff drips down and flows towards the floor drain....Mentioned it to the dealer once, a while ago, and he said all the Terrain and Nox's seem to do it when they are shut off after running for a while........
So, I preclude from that, it is nothing to worry about..........and perfectly normal.........

Grin

2010 Black Terrain SLE, FWD ,4 cyl engine, black interior.. Tinted side windows..Vent Visors, Mud Flaps, Garmin GPS. ONSTAR Location.Canada North.
17 inch Michelin Latitude Tires for 3 seasons...Blizzak Tires /winter rims (X44754) for the Winters. Painted Muffler BLACK..2 big dogs on the Back Seat
Terrain2011

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 11:13:08 PM »

Yes...and from all the vehicles we own.

Here in Northern California we get a variety of weather

As stated in a reply above...a lot of the quantity of the water you see is directly related to the humidity in your area/time of year.  During the colder moist months here we see "gobs" of H20 from the pipes...on a hot (102 degree) day...not a drop

The exhaust pipe is obviously hot when the engine is running and expels hot air.
When the engine is shut off the exhaust pipe cools and "sucks in" air...filling the entire length of the pipe with moist air (assuming the climate at the time).  The moisture then condenses in the pipe and sits there until next engine start when the exhaust pressure "pushes" out the water which has condensed inside.
If you think about it...it's a little bit like a alcohol still...

Mine comes out when hot not cold.     Blowing out moiisture from a cold start is common.   Consensus is that it is normal during hot run with correct humidity.
kuppyr

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 06:17:54 AM »

I noticed this on mine as well, it drips (water) liquid, and very often there is "steam" coming out of the exhaust after the car is turned off.

2010 TERRAIN SLE-2 V6 AWD - Onyx Black
Received 2/09/10 as of 5/6/13 - 74xxx mi
Customization:
Tinted Driver & Passenger windows 15%, rear windows additional 15%, top strip on windshield 5%
Wind Deflectors
Installed Black Leather

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/kuppyr/terrain
markyb

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »

I live in Michigan as well and my 4 cylinder has a little moisture on startup but nothing when I get home after driving.

Two thoughts:

Is your driveway steep? Maybe the water buildup in the exhaust is pouring out when you enter the driveway due to the incline?

Maybe switch gas stations, I know of MANY stories of operators having water in their holding tank, some INTENTIONALLY!

See if that makes a difference...good luck
Terrain Denali

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 02:56:50 PM »

Maybe switch gas stations, I know of MANY stories of operators having water in their holding tank, some INTENTIONALLY!

If that were the case, water in the muffler would be the least of his problems.

2013 Terrain Denali
V6 with 19" Satin Chrome Wheels
Crystal Red Metallic
Intellilink with Nav
Tow Package
ChevyMgr

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »

If that were the case, water in the muffler would be the least of his problems.

Grin

Current Rides:
2011 Equinox LTZ - Born 11/5/2010 - Adopted 12/29/2010
2010 Malibu LTZ
2012 Cruze LT
2013 Cruze RS
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: