TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
October 25, 2014, 01:34:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Instrument Panel Illumination Control  (Read 7801 times)
ebeno

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2010, 06:56:25 PM »

I just took delivery on 1/18 and like the car so far. The Instrument Panel Illumination Control (on the dashboard, left of the steering column) works to dim the brightness at nighttime but rotating the control has no effect on the illumination brightness during the day. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? I expected it would work at any time of the day.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
V-6, AWD
Merlot Jewel Metallic/Jet Black Perforated
no other options
Mobius

Gear Head

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:08:32 PM »

This is normal, the gauges/HVAC console are at full bright during the day so that you can see everything in the daylight.  Only at night (when the headlights are turned on to full power) can you adjust the illumnination to your preference.

2010 Onyx Black GMC Terrain SLT
GMCdriver

2010 AWD Terrain SLE2 V6 - Blue w/Titanium

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:35:55 AM »

I think that if you turn your headlights on manualy, you should be able to dim you radio display even during the day .
GMCdriver

2010 AWD Terrain SLE2 V6 - Blue w/Titanium

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 07:53:10 PM »

Say what???  I've been waiting years, since I drove my grandpa's caddy, to have a car where the headlights turn on automatically, and now you...you...want my to turn them on...manually???

Just kiddin'.  Logically I would agree with you, but it is something I would have to test.  Mine have been set to auto since I got it.

My last three vehicles(this Terrain, 07 Canyon & 03 Sonoma) all had auto headlight control so I too have become spoiled by such a simple feature.
I blows my mind that there are so many vehicle available today that still do not offer such a simple feature.
Terrain_fan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 08:59:29 PM »

My last three vehicles(this Terrain, 07 Canyon & 03 Sonoma) all had auto headlight control so I too have become spoiled by such a simple feature.
It blows my mind that there are so many vehicle available today that still do not offer such a simple feature.
Ditto!  My 1998 Grand Am GT had the auto headlights....yet here in 2010, there are vehicles.....(cough)....foreign....(cough)....that still are driving around without auto lights.....or daytime running lights.  Roll Eyes

Still don't understand why we need dash lights on during the day.  (Enclave has them too)  No problem with the gauges you could actually read during the day without illumination.  Oh well, guess they are better then all digital displays, although I kind of liked the Corvette display on the 1984, I believe, the first of the digital gauge Corvette.
ebeno

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 07:14:10 AM »

Thanks for your comments. My main issue is that you can't dim the instrument panel illumination unless the headlights are on. I find the lighting to be a bit brighter than I would like during the daytime and would just prefer the dimming knob be active at ALL times.

2010 Terrain SLT-2
V-6, AWD
Merlot Jewel Metallic/Jet Black Perforated
no other options
gearhead
Theta Freak

Motor City Born and Bred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »

Ditto!  My 1998 Grand Am GT had the auto headlights....yet here in 2010, there are vehicles.....(cough)....foreign....(cough)....that still are driving around without auto lights.....or daytime running lights.  Roll Eyes

Still don't understand why we need dash lights on during the day.  (Enclave has them too)  No problem with the gauges you could actually read during the day without illumination.  Oh well, guess they are better then all digital displays, although I kind of liked the Corvette display on the 1984, I believe, the first of the digital gauge Corvette.

We rented a Mazda RX6 or 8, can't remember, for a week last spring.
Lights didn't come on automatically and we'd constantly have to remind each other LOL.

Yes, 1984 was the first year of the vette digital dash with the real neat tachometer LED's!

2010 Terrain SLT-2 (rec'd Sep/09)
AWD V6 Carbon Black Metallic w/ Jet Black Int.
All available options
19" Chrome Rims
Window Weather Deflectors
Roof Rack Cross Rails
Cargo Cover, Liner, Net, Organizer
Front & Rear Splash Guards
Weathertech Floor Mats
tbox302

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 07:35:47 AM »

i noticed this morning that if you turn the auto lights off, it dims the dash lights, but then i'm pretty sure they came back on to full brightness while i was driving.  not sure if this is by design or not.  will do some further testing.

this is my first "auto light / DRL" vehicle and i actually prefer to be able to control that myself, or at least have it be more of an "option" to run auto lights vs almost being forced to as in the terrain (yes, you can just turn them off, but i liked what my wife's old camry did - had the Auto selection at the top of the stalk (after ON) so you could just turn it up to that and leave it for the auto on and off or turn on the lights the old-fashioned way).  i usually always put in aftermarket headlights, so in order for them to last as long as possible, i don't want them on when i'm not using them.   Smiley

2010 Terrain SLT1
Atlantic Blue / Light Titanium
Sunroof
Navigation
Rear Entertainment
Power Liftgate
Cargo Management
35w 5000k HID low beams
PIAA Xtreme White Plus fog lights
rs505

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »

I took delivery of an Equinox LTX, V6 AWD last weekend and am really loving it.  But I have noticed that sometimes the dash lights get very bright and then dim.  Is this some sort of dimming function related to ambient light and thus normal or is this evidence of a short or some other electric problem?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
gearhead
Theta Freak

Motor City Born and Bred

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:30:52 AM »

I took delivery of an Equinox LTX, V6 AWD last weekend and am really loving it.  But I have noticed that sometimes the dash lights get very bright and then dim.  Is this some sort of dimming function related to ambient light and thus normal or is this evidence of a short or some other electric problem?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
We leave our lights on AUTO and the NAV screen goes from dark to light (also set to AUTO mode) when we pull into the garage or at night,
Vice versa of course when going from the garage to outside or daylight.
I have the interior light control set on max, so really haven't noticed much in the way of the dash lights dimming/brightening in an abrupt manner.
Maybe the NAV screen is predominant so catches my attention more?
Do you have a NAV screen?

2010 Terrain SLT-2 (rec'd Sep/09)
AWD V6 Carbon Black Metallic w/ Jet Black Int.
All available options
19" Chrome Rims
Window Weather Deflectors
Roof Rack Cross Rails
Cargo Cover, Liner, Net, Organizer
Front & Rear Splash Guards
Weathertech Floor Mats
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 04:49:16 AM »

That is caused by the headlight sensor in the front-middle of the dash.  When it it too dark out, or in a garage, then the headlights go on full brightness (still low beams) and the dash-lights dim - theory being that "at night: you don't want the stereo, nav, etc. as bright as is needed in the daytime.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Terrainnut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 08:10:56 AM »

I just picked up my new Terrain on Friday and have also noticed the dash lights dimming and then coming back to full brightness. The first time they dimmed the DRL was on so I thought maybe I should turn on the headlights. After turning them on the dash lights brightened back up shortly after, but then again they dimmed. Why would they dim if it caused by the sensor when the headlights are on?

2010 GMC Terrain SLE-2 AWD I4
Atlantic Blue Metallic w/ Jet Black Interior
Power Sunroof
Trailer Towing Package
Husky Liners - Front/rear
Cargo Liner
Splashguards - Front/Rear
5-25-2010 Ordered
7-2-2010 Picked Up
Roesterman

Mocha Nox ordered Jan 7th -pick up April 13th 2010

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 12:38:39 PM »

It could be changes in the sunlight reaching the sensor on the dash. There is a delay built in too. The sensor affects the instrument illumination.

2010 Chevy Equinox
2LT 1SC 4cyl FWD
Mocha Brownstone Leather 
Trailer Pkg. Huskyliners
DVD  Sunroof  Cargo cover
Chrome Pkg  18" wheels
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: