TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
December 21, 2014, 01:04:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna too tall for going thru garage door  (Read 24216 times)
equinoxweppjp

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »

Awesome.  I may pick one up.  I will be using the roof racks in the summer and it's probably better to avoid an issues with the antenna.

I have the same problem - I can find plenty of stubby or shark fin antennas, but when I get specific to the (2011) Equinox the trail evaporates. I don't want to pay over $25.00 either - $69.00 is too much.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2011 1LT Cardinal Red Metallic
darrell

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 05:24:49 AM »

The antenna mast unscrews from the car pretty easily until you find a more permanent solution. Maybe you could remove the oem mast and put the Z bend into it to make it shorter. If it gets messed up, they are replaceable for around $20 I think it was.

2011 Terrain Carbon Black SLT-2 I4 FWD
equinoxweppjp

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »

I have the same problem - I can find plenty of stubby or shark fin antennas, but when I get specific to the (2011) Equinox the trail evaporates. I don't want to pay over $25.00 either - $69.00 is too much.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Is there a preferred brand of antenna and, if so, could a link be supplied? I bought one at Pep Boys that is going to be going back. It doesn't amte with what is there. I think that adapters were missing from what I bought, but the mast does not come very close to fitting the 'base'.

Thanks again.

2011 1LT Cardinal Red Metallic
Butch65

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »

After reading all the issues with not enough antenna clearance to park their Nox
in their garage...I just had to try and see if my new NOX could pull into my garage.
I'm outside checking for clearance as my wife slowly drives into the garage and as the
car gets to within a few inches till "the moment of truth" I can tell that the antenna
WILL clear under the garage door. WHEW!!!! 

Note: Before we bought the NOX last Saturday, we had a # 2 choice:
2011 Subaru Forrester.  I was very impressed at how this car was put together
and all the thoughtful features the went into this car, i.e. antenna that looks
like the Nox but can be adjusted to fold flush with the roof.  It is a well made
car however, I felt uncomfortable with the minimal dealerships/parts outlets.
Only one in Memphis then the next one is in Nashville and Little Rock AR.
That turned me off. Insurance was cheaper for the Nox too.
KimVH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 09:52:54 PM »

Same problem...older house/underground garage.  Got a stubby antenna from Pep Boys.  The threads don't match up exactly but was able to get about 1 1/4 turn.  (Sorry for the dirty rear window!!)

2011 Equinox 1LT, AWD V6, Twilight Blue, Driver Convenience Package, Premier Stereo, Dealer Added Hitch, Local Shop Added Pinstriping
delldell

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »

Wife just got an 11 Equinox and same problem, tip of antenna broke off.  Unscrewed it and AM/FM/XM and OnStar all work still.  Anybody know of consequences of no antenna?  Anybody ever find a short, sharkfin or a 90 degree/rotating adapter?
Tjpc

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 01:57:30 PM »

On most garage door openers there are toggle limit switches that will tell the door to stop.
If you adjust this stop towards the opener motor you may get another inch or two of clearance.

2011 Cyber Gray Equinox 2LT
   Jet Black Cloth,4cyl,fwd
         Build Date 02/10/2011
MOCHANOX

Always Mod the Mod to make it YOURS !!!

Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 04:58:07 PM »

Wife just got an 11 Equinox and same problem, tip of antenna broke off.  Unscrewed it and AM/FM/XM and OnStar all work still.  Anybody know of consequences of no antenna?  Anybody ever find a short, sharkfin or a 90 degree/rotating adapter?

Search is your friend...

Here is a thread which offers a couple of alternatives...
a shorter OEM Antenna
a couple of shark styles

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=353.0;all

2011 LAF 1LT
BCM by GTPprix
1st USA 1LT w/OEM Operated Fog Lamps
RKE All Window Auto Roll Down
RKE Extended Run Time
OEM Courtesy Lamps
Hard Mount/Wired Garmin-coming soon
C.C.P. Pkgs.
rjketche

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »

You know...I mentioned this in another post on this topic, but what I did....
I removed the screw on extension, and just cut about a 1/2 or 3/4' off of it.
Then I just got the (black) insulator piece from a small alligator clip and glued it on with some black
Automotive Gunk, and it works prefectly! No loss of signal at all, and I saved myself the $$$'s.
And it looks ALMOST factory good!

I figured that I was going to spend the $$$ for a Shark Fin anntennae anyway, so I had
nothing to loss by trying this out.

Remember, this is only an aerial extension; the real workings are in the base (and I certainly remember cars
running around with coat hanger antenneas too; and they worked - so don't get too concerned about the antennea itself).

Good Luck!
raxelgun

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 05:27:23 PM »

My house was built in 73 have no issues, Your door must need adjusting, have you had the door serviced?
Tdog

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 07:24:59 PM »

My house was built in 73 have no issues, Your door must need adjusting, have you had the door serviced?

Depends on the door height. Our house was built mid 70's and no way was the Terrain going to fit with the original antenna. Our Dodge Caravan just fit, but not the Terrain. Back in December, nobody had heard of this issue and there were no posts that I could find. But a local dealer did know about it and had the shorter GMC antenna. Problem solved.

To show how great GM customer service was on this: when I called to ask them, the woman (who obviously did not speak English as her primary language) kept restating my question as "So I understand you are calling because your garage is too small?" Rigggggghhhhht!

Anyway, with the shorter antenna, the Terrain now fits fine but the door IS adjusted absolutely all the way up on opening!

Eventually I'd like to get one of the sharkfins, people who have them really seem to like them. The shorter antenna does seem to drop out the signal more often. The sharkfin owners claim that those don't drop out any more than the original masts.

2013 Terrain SLE-2 2.4L AWD
Sunroof, Heated Seats, Remote Start
teetertotter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »

Our garage was built in 1966 with header 7 foot high.  Our Acadia antenna broke off after to many hits in and out.  I purchased a short rubber one as replacement.   Our new Terrain antenna hits the header also, not by much.  The dealer has the OEM short antenna in stock that is 180mm vs the long 280mm in length.  I prefer factory antenna at $33.00.  I will be picking it the shorter version this afternoon.    Problem solved

10-14-14
Traded 12' Terrain, V6, for new 14' Acadia
Still a GMC!  Missed the 07' Acadia we had.
Beagleman

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »

Get the antenna from Craven Speed and it will solve youir problem.  I got one and really please about it.  It is called the Stubby Antenna and take it from the box and screw it in.  Nothing could be easier and it was only $24.95.
Dd

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 03:37:02 PM »

Get the antenna from Craven Speed and it will solve youir problem.  I got one and really please about it.  It is called the Stubby Antenna and take it from the box and screw it in.  Nothing could be easier and it was only $24.95.
+1
teetertotter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »

Craven's shipping is $5.00 and for $3.00 more for the OEM shorter length with better appearance,  OEM is what I have.

10-14-14
Traded 12' Terrain, V6, for new 14' Acadia
Still a GMC!  Missed the 07' Acadia we had.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: