TerrainForum.net Bookmark and Share
November 01, 2014, 03:42:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Instrument Panel Courtesy Lamps  (Read 32426 times)
gmiemigrad

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:49:26 PM »

I just picked up my 2011 GMC Terrain SLE2.  I love it but am dissapointed in the lack of courtesy lights under the instrument panel that light up the footwell area.  This is the first vehicle I have owned in 27 years that does not have them.  I see according to the service manual, they come on the SLT models but not on the SLE.  I looked under the dash and see the connectors are there to plug the lamps into, but when I look at the parts book, it shows that the lamp socket is not avaialable separately, it is sold only as a part of the cover under the dash that it is mounted to.  Has anyone added courtesy lamps to their SLE Terrain??

Steve Ochs - Senior Manufacturing Engineer
General Motors - Parma Plant
The statements and opinions expressed here are
NOT an official statement of the General Motors Company

2011 GMC Terrain SLE2 - Mocha Steel
2.4, Sunroof, Heated Seats, Remote Start

2011 Buick Regal CXL2
oracle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »

Sounds like an easy fix. Just retrofit any foot well light from any car, realistically the passenger will never see the actual lamp

2010 Terrain SLT-2
Phantm006

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:09:26 AM »

I also have an SLE2 and kind of dissapointed with the lack of lighting. I dont think you should have to spend a extra grand or two just for that. I looked awhile back but didn't see any sockets. Can you tell me where they are. If I come up with a retro-fit, ill let you know.

GMC Terrain SLE2- Cyber Gray Metallic
 2.4, Sunroof, 18" Brushed Aluminum Wheels
Heated Seats, Remote Start
Chrome Package
gmiemigrad

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:53:05 PM »

I only looked on the passenger side - but pull down the insulator panel (above the passenger's feet - two screws).  If you look above where the hole is in the panel for the light, you will see a two pin connector with a gray and black wire.   That is where the light plugs in to. Need to find a lamp socket that will fit into the hole in the panel and then splice it in.

2011 Buick Regal CXL2
Phantm006

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 06:31:06 AM »

Hey thanks. I saw the hole but I didnt see the connector. I didnt realize you had to remove the panel. Hopefully I can try to make this work in the next couple of days.

Chrome Package
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 09:51:39 AM »

My dealers parts guy worked with me trying to find the lamps for this
Couldn't find any part numbers He said if I brought him in a Vin number from a SLT with these lamps he may be able to optain a part number
Anyone out there with a SLT that has courtesy lamps for the floor want to post their Vin?

bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:04:17 PM »

Hmmm, this would be interesting. I know we are missing the door ones as well.

I wouldnt mind doing this to our Terrain as well.

2010 Terrain SLE2, FWD, 4cyl, Merlot Jewel, Jet Black int., Convenience package
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 06:02:59 AM »

Hmmm, this would be interesting. I know we are missing the door ones as well.

I wouldnt mind doing this to our Terrain as well.
  I haven't checked but is there holes in the door for those lights and are they not red leds?
I think the white lights for the floor would be great maybe I'll have to take a SLT for a test drive and take out those lights.
I'm thinking one may have to buy the whole insulator panel..

mmarges

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 06:27:42 AM »

That's why you never buy the base or mid trim level model. Like I've said in other posts, I don't understand why people do this. For the extra 20% percent why not got all out and have all the extra comfort and convenience. The difference on your monthly payment for the first 4 or 5 yrs and then all the additional years you may own the vehicle, 10 yrs or so, it only makes sense. If you have to strip it down so much to reduce cost them perhaps you should be looking at a vehicle in a whole price class down
rickbb63

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 07:46:03 AM »

Those lights are on the LTZ.  I believe the light is part of the lower panel.  Otherwise there would be a plastic cover in its place.  I'm guessing the light socket is all part of it, not just the clear lens.   The dealer should be able to look up the lower panel for the SLT or LTZ models.  Probably big bucks though.

2010 Equinox LTZ
Mocha Steel, Brownstone
V6, Sunroof, 19" wheels
Towing package
bballr4567
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 08:32:14 AM »

That's why you never buy the base or mid trim level model. Like I've said in other posts, I don't understand why people do this. For the extra 20% percent why not got all out and have all the extra comfort and convenience. The difference on your monthly payment for the first 4 or 5 yrs and then all the additional years you may own the vehicle, 10 yrs or so, it only makes sense. If you have to strip it down so much to reduce cost them perhaps you should be looking at a vehicle in a whole price class down
Because car makers dont let cloth be an option at high trim levels. I know LOTS of people who bought the SLE2 and loaded it up BECAUSE of the heated cloth seats.

We could of afforded a SLT2 easily but just hated the feel of the "leather" in cheaper vehicles. Plus, aside from the lights, what else is really available on the SLT2 that is missing on the SLE2? Not much. Memory seating, power liftgate, sunroof and leather. Is it really worth the extra $3-4k?

2010 Terrain SLE2, FWD, 4cyl, Merlot Jewel, Jet Black int., Convenience package
gmiemigrad

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 06:19:33 PM »

That's why you never buy the base or mid trim level model. Like I've said in other posts, I don't understand why people do this. For the extra 20% percent why not got all out and have all the extra comfort and convenience.

I did not want leather - had it in previous vehicles, don't like it.  My point in this issue is I have owned a lot of GM vehicles over the years, and many of them had the under dash courtesy lights even at half the cost of the Terrain.  We are not talking a stripped out Cobalt or Aveo - we are talking about a 28k vehicle. 

I am not upset that the lights are not there, just disapointed that I would have to spend a few thousand more to get a couple of lights that lesser vehicles include.

2011 Buick Regal CXL2
Phantm006

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »

I did not want leather - had it in previous vehicles, don't like it.  My point in this issue is I have owned a lot of GM vehicles over the years, and many of them had the under dash courtesy lights even at half the cost of the Terrain.  We are not talking a stripped out Cobalt or Aveo - we are talking about a 28k vehicle. 

I am not upset that the lights are not there, just disapointed that I would have to spend a few thousand more to get a couple of lights that lesser vehicles include.
Second.

Chrome Package
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 08:42:16 PM »

No, one buys the vehicle they are most comfortable with I too do not like leather but I do like the heated cloth seats Missing a couple lights no big deal but might be nice to add.
Difference on  payment for 4-5 years? now that's wise. SLT2 with a couple options has more than enough comfort and convenience. ya I know my neighbors think I got the cheap one

TheCrow1994

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 09:01:20 AM »

ya I know my neighbors think I got the cheap one

That's because you didn't get the navigation system  Cheesy

2010 'Nox
Mocha Steel Metallic LTZ
4 Cyl AWD
17" Wheels
Navigation & Sunroof
Jet Black/Brownstone Leather
Weathertech DigitalFit Floorliners & Cargo Liner
Built 6/11/10 - Received 7/1/10
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »

That's because you didn't get the navigation system  Cheesy
Just hang a TomTom off the rearview mirror
That ought to impress the neighbors

tbox302

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 09:47:52 AM »

would someone with an SLT2 be willing to post pics of the lights in that area?  I haven't taken a look at my SLT1 yet, but if the connectors are there and they're compatible, it may be easy to add a small LED strip there.  definitely worth looking into.

2010 Terrain SLT1
Atlantic Blue / Light Titanium
Sunroof
Navigation
Rear Entertainment
Power Liftgate
Cargo Management
35w 5000k HID low beams
PIAA Xtreme White Plus fog lights
Trailblazer

2011 Equinox, Rochester, NY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 06:07:10 PM »

So has anyone found any lights that would fit in the foootwell. If the light is not a spare item, does anyone have the part number for the panel, with the light attached. For both driver and passenger side?

My other car is a 2009 Cobalt SS
Trailblazer

2011 Equinox, Rochester, NY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06:50 AM »

Bump.
Does anyone have the part number for the lower panels (driver and passenger side) with the lights attached?
Thanks.

My other car is a 2009 Cobalt SS
reako

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »

Bump... interior lighting is cool!  How can we make this happen guys?  Thanks!

2011 Nox 1LT 2.4L Mocha
Driver Convenience
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: