USB "Jump Drive"/Memory Stick Functonality - TerrainForum.net: GMC Terrain Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 53
USB "Jump Drive"/Memory Stick Functonality

Hello All...

I did a search and read a the post's on the USB interface, and using a memory stick. However I did not find the answer to my question, and I do not have my Terrain yet (I am supposed to take delivery this week. WOOHOO)

Here is my question...

My husband gave me an 8GB USB drive, and I want to load it full of music (not only music for me, but for our 6 month old son also). However I do know that it has to be formatted for FAT32, which is no problem that can be done.

BUT

For those of you who have used a memory stick in their Terrain's. Can you tell me if when you copied the music over to your USB did you keep it in separate folders (i.e. albums, artist's) OR did you have to just copy one long list of songs in individual files over to the USB to work?

I am wondering if I can copy over the folders I want filled with music and will the car let me skip through the folders, instead of having to skip through ever single song.

Can anyone tell me how it interfaces / works?

Thanks -- TG
TerrainGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Theta GOD!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,841
Re: USB "Jump Drive"/Memory Stick Functonality

great question - We don't have our NOX yet, but this is good news. I didn't realize that you could simply put a jump drive into the USB port. Any owners know ?

THX


2010 Equinox LTZ<br />4 cyl, FWD, S/R<br />Cardinal Red/Black
RIT333 is offline  
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 318
Re: USB "Jump Drive"/Memory Stick Functonality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrainGirl

For those of you who have used a memory stick in their Terrain's. Can you tell me if when you copied the music over to your USB did you keep it in separate folders (i.e. albums, artist's) OR did you have to just copy one long list of songs in individual files over to the USB to work? I am wondering if I can copy over the folders I want filled with music and will the car let me skip through the folders, instead of having to skip through ever single song.
You can copy it in folders. It takes info from the ID3 tags of the file. So as long as the Album/track info is in there it will be able to separate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrainGirl
Can anyone tell me how it interfaces / works?

Thanks -- TG
The interface is sort of like the Ipod. You can sort by Artist, Album, Song or playlist.

2010 GMC Terrain <br />SLT-1 V6 AWD<br />Quicksilver Metallic/Jet Black Leather<br />Navi & RSE<br />GM/THule Cargo Box on Factory Cross Bars<br />Front & Rear Mud Flaps<br />Tinted Fronts<br />Grey/Red/Black Pinstripe<br />Accessories to be Added<br />3 piece Billet Grille (ordered)
NY_Joe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 318
Re: USB "Jump Drive"/Memory Stick Functonality

Addendum:

I have the NAV. IT is controlled by the Select button in the center of the stack and all the info appears on NAV screen. It can be changed while driving.

I'm not sure how it works on Non-nav models.

2010 GMC Terrain <br />SLT-1 V6 AWD<br />Quicksilver Metallic/Jet Black Leather<br />Navi & RSE<br />GM/THule Cargo Box on Factory Cross Bars<br />Front & Rear Mud Flaps<br />Tinted Fronts<br />Grey/Red/Black Pinstripe<br />Accessories to be Added<br />3 piece Billet Grille (ordered)
NY_Joe is offline  
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 53
Re: USB "Jump Drive"/Memory Stick Functonality

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Joe
Addendum:

I have the NAV. IT is controlled by the Select button in the center of the stack and all the info appears on NAV screen. It can be changed while driving.

I'm not sure how it works on Non-nav models.
NY_Joe --> Thanks, much appreciated, unfortunately I did not order the NAV system.

Anyone with the non-NAV system have some insight?
TerrainGirl is offline  
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 93
Re: USB "Jump Drive"/Memory Stick Functonality

I ran out and tried it on my non-navigation system Terrain. I created a folder and dropped a mp3 in it, and then put another mp3 on the root drive of the thumb drive. The results were the Terrain did not show the folder, it just found both mp3's and displayed them on Play All menu. So if would appear if you separate them by Artist via folder, it won't matter. It just look for all the playable formats and loads them all, no matter where they are located.

Just out of curiosity I plugged my ipod then my usb thumb drive into a 4 port hub and plugged it into the Terrain USB port. No joy....No Supported Devices Found message. So I guess it doesn't like USB hubs.

KJ
noncon is offline  
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 53
Re: USB "Jump Drive"/Memory Stick Functonality

Quote:
Originally Posted by noncon
I ran out and tried it on my non-navigation system Terrain. I created a folder and dropped a mp3 in it, and then put another mp3 on the root drive of the thumb drive. The results were the Terrain did not show the folder, it just found both mp3's and displayed them on Play All menu. So if would appear if you separate them by Artist via folder, it won't matter. It just look for all the playable formats and loads them all, no matter where they are located.

Just out of curiosity I plugged my ipod then my usb thumb drive into a 4 port hub and plugged it into the Terrain USB port. No joy....No Supported Devices Found message. So I guess it doesn't like USB hubs.

KJ
KJ...

Thanks for the post, so it showed both mp3 files? it didn't show the folders they were in? Were you able to sort by artist than or was the only option available to play all?

My husband wants to load them on my USB drive, but he doesn't want to have to load and than reload them. I guess we will have to just load them all in their seperate folders and hope for the best.
TerrainGirl is offline  
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 93
Re: USB "Jump Drive"/Memory Stick Functonality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrainGirl

Thanks for the post, so it showed both mp3 files?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrainGirl

it didn't show the folders they were in?
Nope, the folder did not show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrainGirl

Were you able to sort by artist than or was the only option available to play all?
I should clarify, the songs aren't sorted in the Play All list. However using the search feature, you can search the songs on the drive by Artist, Album, Genre etc etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowItch
Did you have a powered USB hub. I think for it to have any hope of working, you'd have to provide power. The amount of power provided by the usb port isn't enough for the hub, ipod and usb thumb drive.
No, I did not use my powered drive. I was just wanted to see it would work, not really surprised it didn't.

KJ
noncon is offline  
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 26
Re: USB "Jump Drive"/Memory Stick Functonality

Ok, here is my input on why the USB sticks are not working in the vehicle.
The reason the USB doesn't work is that some of the USB sticks have a program installed on it that NEEDS to loads everytime it is plugged into a USB slot. The memory stick needs to be formatted, and all software uninstalled (FACTORY SOFTWARE) before using the stick in the vehicle.
For example. When you use a "JumpDrive" memory stick on your computer you will notice a program loads up everytime you plug in your stick. This program contains games/ security/ and pure junk. The program uses the computer memory to load. After it loads you are able to use your memory stick on your computer.

Now in the vehicle these "JumpDrive" sticks try to load that program resulting in errors or nothing at all. The vehicle unit is used to only read files, not to allow programs to run such as the file trying to load up.
It is like a receiver I once had. The USB stick never worked as the crap tried to load on to my receiver. Once I removed all the software and formatted the USB the receiver accepted and recognized the USB.

So what now.... Well I tried my wifes OLD "JumpDrive". It did not work. So I formatted the stick and removed all the crap. I loaded a few songs and in seconds the USB was found and my music started to play!

I hope this helps everyone.

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ V6 AWD
2010 LTZ is offline  
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Sr. Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 446
Re: USB "Jump Drive"/Memory Stick Functonality

If you want or need security on an USB device, the software can be handy. But overall, yep, it's annoying. I find the cheaper they are the less likely they'll have this problem. Here's the last one's I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820326010

Like we discussed in another post, I went for more sticks at smaller size to make it easy to organize the music on them.
Narg is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TerrainForum.net: GMC Terrain Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome